It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel is impossible because time is not real

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

We all "time travel", every time a memory is recalled or when dreaming of the future.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Time is an it isnt an illusion since it is man made concept or construct to be of practical/applicable use. The problem might be when an where relative or not.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It's taking forever to read this thread...

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I have always thought that time is nothing more than a measurement of movement. No movement, no time, seems simple enough.
But we have the science that says the faster we go the slower time moves. If we travel at half the speed of light in a spaceship for say ten years then when we return to Earth a hundred years will have passed (just an arbitrary figure).

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Time Travel

2 Cups - Finely chopped illusion
2 Gal - Liquid Quantum Physics
2 level Tsp - BS dust
1 Cup - Dragon Dew
1 Pinch - Fairy Dust

1. Preheat oven to 5800K. Mix all but the Fairy Dust together in a large mixing bowl until fully blended. Allow to rise at room temperature until volume has increased by 1400%.

2. Bake for 35 minutes until an inserted lightning bolt comes out clean.

3. Sprinkle Fairy Dust evenly over the top of the exposed surface.

4. Return to oven and bake for an additional 45 minutes or until the kitchen transforms into a 15th Century brothel.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

... But we have the science that says the faster we go the slower time moves.

You missed a key element here. "Time" itself doesn't move slower, but appears to advance at different rates depending on your relative vantage point. It's the two different vantage points which are key.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

That does not mean the properties of space-time are not real.

If it can be bent, and gravity does that, then it can be manipulated, hence time travel of a sorts is indeed theoretically possible.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: midicon

... But we have the science that says the faster we go the slower time moves.

You missed a key element here. "Time" itself doesn't move slower, but appears to advance at different rates depending on your relative vantage point. It's the two different vantage points which are key.

But when the space farer returns the two vantage points are reunited and it shows that one has aged relative to the other.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Maybe time is just a frequency, Tesla said everything has its own frequency and we keep finding that to be true with everything.
We just haven't figured out how to get the frequency of time yet.?

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Ho hum, just dueling opinions really.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

Its all about frequency and vibration down to energy states.

We exist within an explosion that is the space-time that was spawned by singularity that is the big bang.

Space-time has some intrinsic properties all the same, expansion for instance where the metric governing the size and geometry of space-time itself changes in scale.
edit on 1-11-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
Actually, I believe time is real. Many equations require time to accurately solve for problems relating to our universe.

I came across the old, “time is an illusion” argument in another thread.

So. If time is an illusion, then time travel would be an illusion. Therefore true time travel is impossible.

Was this argument in a 9-11 thread -asking for a friend

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Time is construct humans invented to be able to describe and decompartmenatilise the world around us, glad I cleared that up for you....

No.

Time is entropy.

Our perception of time is subjective and for many reasons. Not the least of which is the agreement between two observers in and out of the light-cone of causal future and past.

Anyone outside disagrees with the observation simultaneity and anyone inside would agree.

If time was nothing but a human invention the universe would be a hot bubble that no life could exist in. Entropy is necessary for our universe to exist and as such the tendency from order to disorder necessitates time as a feature of our universe as more than just a subjective concept to help humans.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I don't believe in time travel into the past. I believe the universe may have a chronology protection mechanism.

Stephen Hawking described it as the Chronology Protection Conjecture.

Time will tell (pun not intended) if this conjecture stands to scrutiny...

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

How about travel to a different past?

That would seem to negate or at least mitigate the effects of any paradox that my occur.

Same with travel to the future really, its never going to be the same timeline if multiverse theory holds any weight.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
You are correct time isn't real, but you can rewind just like on a VHS.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
I had a gut feeling that radioactive decay is not indicative of time. I only did high school physics. It would appear that this link agrees.

The paper gives me a lot to think about.

medium.com...@jackkrupansky/does-time-really-exist-fef73bb794a6

radioactive decay. Half-life of a radionuclide. But once again, that seems more like events than time, but how does half-life come about?

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: ARM1968

The universe is only a few seconds old - maybe.

Not even that according to some popular theories that state all space/time occurred at the very instant the universe was born.

Then why does time seem to slow the closer you get to traveling at the speed of light.

Because of the implements that we use to keep time.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

In short , we can't explain the world around us as we don't know enough about it and how it works .

Actually People created time is a illusion BUT UNIVERSAL TIME is real. Decay is how we measure universal time in some instances.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

originally posted by: Gothmog

The universe is only a few seconds old - maybe.

Not even that according to some popular theories that state all space/time occurred at the very instant the universe was born.

Then why does time seem to slow the closer you get to traveling at the speed of light.

Because of the implements that we use to keep time.

We don't need implements though. If I travel at a substantial speed for say a year, then return to Earth my hair will have grown by x amount. However upon my return I will find that my identical twin's hair has ten years worth of growth.

edit on 1-11-2019 by midicon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join