It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did my beloved baseball go?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I didn't compare the athletes of today to yesterday's.
I compared the style of play.

I don't have a major issues with the style of play, it's certainly better than having a batting champ hit .301

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well judging by the tv ratings over the last thirty years, somebody has some issues.
World Series viewership has dropped in half in that time.

Football is the exact opposite.

The big shots have to be worried about the future.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue
a reply to: putnam6

Definitely don't play small ball and defense is usually an afterthought, LOL and this pitch count thing drives me crazy I grew up with Carlton and Ryan and Niekro throwing complete games and you were a wuss if you came out early. LOL don't change anything MLB has had a resurgence partly because fantasy sports.

Remember Mets pitcher "Little" Al Jackson who threw 10 complete game shutouts , recently passed away

Today have "analytics: - bunch of geeks with computer telling manager how to make lineup, how many pitches should throw , when to substitute

Look at Game 6 World Series - yanked Strasburg with 7-2 lead and only 1 out in 9th inning Why not leave him in to finish game?

Exactly Bob Gibson was a bad mother hard thrower who hated being pulled. Koufax would throw fastballs all game ice his arm and be out there 3 days later. But it aint the players its management when they spend millions on a guy for 5 years they want their 5 years in a lot of cases.

Think it was Greg Maddox threw a complete game victory in an hour and 45 minutes or some ungodly number just so efficient

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Lower attention span is no doubt a factor.
The game just doesn't have the heart it used too.
Where's Pete rose plowing a catcher in the all star game?

Ray Fosse broke his collarbone on that classic play, but Rose caught some grief because of it, I just thought it was a bang bang play that happens some times.

Got to admit I got it on the TV or computer but Im mostly doing other stuff till something happens, it helps if your team is semi good too. Was checking out a Marlins game and I wanted to fall asleep

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join