It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former US president Barack Obama urges 'politically woke' to get over themselves

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
In what could be the most poignant speech Obama has made in his lifetime he has urged the 'politically woke' to get over themselves.

Link To Original Article - ABC News Australia

During the Obama Foundation's third annual summit in Chicago, the last Democratic president to hold office took questions from the audience around politics and what it meant to effect change, and he did not hold back in his answers.

When fired one question about change, Mr Obama suggested that young people needed to actually do things to cause change, not just call others out on social media.

"This idea of purity and you're never compromised and you're politically woke, and all that stuff — you should get over that quickly," Mr Obama said.

"The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting with may love their kids and share certain things with you."

Hear that all of you woke progressives? You won't change the world by nagging everybody online...or in person.

"One danger I see among young people particularly on college campuses is that I do get a sense among certain young people, and this is accelerated by social media, that the way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people and that's enough," Mr Obama added.

Too bad for Obama's perception that most of these coffee shop revolutionaries don't actually want change. They want to be seen taking faux moralistic standpoints to appear as good people to their friends, families and society at large.

I wonder what Obama's motivation for these statements is? Perhaps he realises the detrimental effect these delusional radicals are having on the chance of another Democratic US president in the next 50 years?

Before the conservatives get too ahead of themselves....these same statements could equally apply to some of you.

To the "politically woke" take it from one of the most "woke" - get over yourselves

edit on 30102019 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This will be an interesting test. Since the rabid nature of a SMALL but vocal fringe usually ends up consuming ANYONE, even their own.

Will Obama begin to be called "too conservative" or get thrown under the bus?

That would be a hell of a turn of events.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   
For some reason, the family guy elevator fart scene is playing in my head.
"It was you!"

Mr .Smth-Mundt Act was probably the actual "crap-in-the-pool" kid.
The one they made the saying after.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It's technically awoken. If one did not know that and now do, he or she could say they have awoken from using the incorrect tense of woke for the verb awake.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM
I recall him saying generally the same thing years ago though I could not find it to add to the thread. It was something like don't let your ideas of the perfect get in the way of working for the better. Something like that anyways. I recall that because at the time I thought, what a smart thing that was.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Whoa, you're so woke.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
If you watch the video in the article you get what he is saying in context he is basically saying that calling people out and claiming your so political awoke that you can call someone out on social media then you need to get over yourself.

Its actually quite similar to the arguments we see on ATS about how people need to get over themselves any time they call out someone for saying something thats not very nice in the guise of being politically correct. He is talking about people claiming to be somehow superior because they regard themselves as being "awoke"

Now all am going to really say is watch the video in the article.

I am not going to hang around this thread and reply to everyone who gets triggered by the alien in the suit however because quite honestly I cannot be bothered and am in the middle of a good book.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   

If you watch the video in your link from a totally non-partisan perspective, then I think you'd see that they're incredibly wise words from a man who spent many years on the front line, deep in the trenches.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Obama. The man who did the exact opposite of everything he promised while in office. He expanded the wars in the Middle East, destroyed Libya to keep Africa under the imf and world banks thumb, expanded torture and rendition, had the most draconian persecution of whistle blowers, sold out our healthcare to the insurance corporations, and sold out our people to the big banks. And he says what, now? Who cares.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

The article also puts these statements in to context quite well and I couldn't agree more with the man.

Taking faux moralistic standpoints to raise your perception in the eyes of others is actually a red flag for some worrying personality traits.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Whoa, you're so woke.

I'm Knowded Beach.

edit on 30-10-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Sounds like a man who knows he's about to be exposed.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Agree.

I am non-partisan too, I just think it's great that the faux moralistic warriors of social media are being called out by someone who they deeply respect.

I don't use social media except LinkedIN for work purposes so luckily for me have minimal exposure to these kind of people.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
Obama. The man who did the exact opposite of everything he promised while in office. He expanded the wars in the Middle East, destroyed Libya to keep Africa under the imf and world banks thumb, expanded torture and rendition, had the most draconian persecution of whistle blowers, sold out our healthcare to the insurance corporations, and sold out our people to the big banks. And he says what, now? Who cares.

What has any of this got to do with what he is saying in the video and article?

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
That might be the only thing 0bama has ever said that I agree with. I honestly cannot think of another thing.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421

He says that "people who do good things sometimes do bad things, too" - It's an apology. First of many, i'd wager- he used his power to weaponize government agencies agencies to corrupt the process meant to replace him.... and failed to overthrow the election process. Now his lies are slowly coming to light, and he knows he will be exposed sooner or later...

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Meh... if I want to stop watching a show or shop at a store because it pissed me off, then that is my prerogative.

Ii do not need/want the approval or permission from some idiot that failed at every job he has had.

Hey Obama... my television, my choice!

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It wasn't a bad thing he did. It was way beyond bad. It was treason. Nobody has been charged for messing with the election on Trump's crew. They spied on him and his family going on months without any marginally solid evidence.

That is what happened. Want justice, real justice. Obama must be tried for treason. It's the only way to restore the Republic unfortunately but he did it to himself. Reminds me of the movie Sliver. At least charge him with "peeping Uncle Tom". Trying to get the approval of uppidty white folks.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I hate Obama's political ideology, but I don't feel that he is a malicious man. Trump, on the other hand, I can't say I trust his intent.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Obama is a day late and a dollar short.

We've been telling "woke" people to get over themselves for years.

"Woke" is just another way of people calling themselves, "Indigo Children".

Obama is a tard.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join