It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Drake Equation Fallacy

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: carsforkids
a reply to: oldcarpy

Why do you keep posting nothing?

Are you well?

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

originally posted by: carsforkids

Why do you keep posting nothing?

Are you well?

This is what he does. This is what he has been doing since page one! He never actually answers anything, just rambles on without even answering said question!

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I come in peace. I know we haven't had the best of starts but I find it hard to hold a grudge. My Grandad was a soldier in ww2, the most respectable man I ever knew and he always told me it is better to reason and compromise than to bicker over differences of opinion. Since his death recently I have been failing in my promise to be more like him. If you'll accept it I'd like to offer an apology for my childish behaviour.

Can I ask your theological perspective? It would be good to change the subject and produce a more constructive discussion. I think that would be a good place to start as I am passionate about the subject matter.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

I love your spirit.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

My intention was to bring balance to this thread and defuse the arguments. When you have an objective and are failing then you must reflect and react accordingly. After reading back through my posts i'm not happy with my behaviour. I have sent a personal apology to Jay as well.

It's not my goal to make enemies on ATS, quite the opposite, the essence of this site is sharing opinions and beliefs, i need to remember that before allowing my ego to take control.

I hope we can all work together and collaborate to find a common truth.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

That's cool call me a realist.

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Realist!

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

I come in peace. I know we haven't had the best of starts but I find it hard to hold a grudge. My Grandad was a soldier in ww2, the most respectable man I ever knew and he always told me it is better to reason and compromise than to bicker over differences of opinion. Since his death recently I have been failing in my promise to be more like him. If you'll accept it I'd like to offer an apology for my childish behaviour.

Can I ask your theological perspective? It would be good to change the subject and produce a more constructive discussion. I think that would be a good place to start as I am passionate about the subject matter.

That's big of you - much respect.
Its easy to get carried away on a interweb board and I too am just as guilty.
I tend to keep my theological thoughts to myself and do not really feel that confident in discussing them.
Too many questions and unknowns for me whereas some on here have absolute beliefs that are unshakeable so i stay away from all that.
I think we may be having a robert mitchum/kurt jurgens moment in manner of end to "the Enemy Below."
Which would be nice.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

That's big of you - much respect.
Its easy to get carried away on a interweb board and I too am just as guilty.
I tend to keep my theological thoughts to myself and do not really feel that confident in discussing them.
Too many questions and unknowns for me whereas some on here have absolute beliefs that are unshakeable so i stay away from all that.
I think we may be having a robert mitchum/kurt jurgens moment in manner of end to "the Enemy Below."
Which would be nice.

We are all human. Any differences should be tossed aside as a nuance, because the coming together of humanity is more important than our differences. "Religion" from the Latin 'Religare', simply means "Union". So does "Yoga". Let me try to put forth an acceptable definition of God, hoping for common ground among the believers and non-believers.

God can be thought of as the archetypal state of a human being. The human psychology that abides to the upmost forms and virtues of existence. The archetype would remain truthful to this virtue and never compromise - exemplified by Jesus's willingness to die for it. Even the Samaritans loved Jesus. In fact, they usually loved him more than the Pharisees and other Jewish officials did. The Universal language wants all of us to come together. We certainly can get caught up in nuances, but in the end there is most certainly a Good to be striven for. This Good that we have our actions set towards is perhaps our introduction to God and the Higher thought-forms waiting for us to synchronize with them.
edit on 10-12-2019 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

I think in a way that self awareness is Gods way of giving us reason. The fact we're able to even process the universe with our brains and then manipulate reality with such magnificent results is remarkable. I'm sure someday we will discover some entirely new force which overlays nature and give us a more clear picture of the overall design.

I really don't see why science and God can't co-exist. I love analysing scientific data and matching it with experiment, i just don't see how it has anything to do with theology, ironically in my own personal opinion it backs up my belief in God.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

It wasn't particularly easy at first, but you're growing on me. My opinions kind of explode out from time to time. Generally i have a long fuse and only observe the boards, hence the small post count considering my time at ATS. My choice of username reflects my character in some ways. I save my opinions for when i get angry at perceived ignorance then fly off onto a mission. Then i reflect on my own opinions and realise there's at least some compromise to be had.

We can smoke peace pipes with shamans till the end of time i'll still stand by QE2 being a bad ass sob. Charles and his siblings might F it all up soon enough.

Maybe i'm taking this whole belief in God quite seriously. Since i found faith my objectives have become more noble, i came here to diffuse the thread and now i have achieved that goal.

However, as evidence to Gods existence, this conversation would not be as friendly had it not been for my belief. Unfortunately we can't measure thoughts to prove it scientifically, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

The Enemy Below, you're so old i have to google that reference which doesn't happen often. :p
Think i was around 10 years old the last time i watched that movie with my gran. I have the night off so just fired it up now.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Good for you.
Its a classic.
Me and mrs carpy love submarine films on a sunday afternoon.
Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton

originally posted by: TzarChasm

How do you know this "intelligent faculty" is our friend? And what higher purpose do you speak of?

"the prison-house is the world of sight, the light of the fire is the sun, and you will not misapprehend me if you interpret the journey upwards to be the ascent of the soul into the intellectual world according to my poor belief, which, at your desire, I have expressed whether rightly or wrongly God knows. But, whether true or false, my opinion is that in the world of knowledge the idea of good appears last of all, and is seen only with an effort; and, when seen, is also inferred to be the universal author of all things beautiful and right, parent of light and of the lord of light in this visible world, and the immediate source of reason and truth in the intellectual; and that this is the power upon which he who would act rationally, either in public or private life must have his eye fixed."

Socrates Allegory of the Cave

All the flowery drama language aside, none of that answered my questions.

How do you know this "intelligent faculty" is our friend? And what higher purpose do you speak of?

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Now hold on there guys as the progenitor of this thread and some one
who despises a grudge on these boards. I demand my share of hugs Ima
pologize too.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

If the Intelligent Designer encoded love into the program, then the Designer certainly knows love. Therefore He would know it is the highest of the emotions, and would then have that same love for us, just as we ought to for Him.

Higher purpose would be an alignment with the will of our Creator. Obviously He would know best, so our self-contrived ideas do not compare to the plan of the One who designed the whole system.

I really don't see why science and God can't co-exist. I love analysing scientific data and matching it with experiment, i just don't see how it has anything to do with theology, ironically in my own personal opinion it backs up my belief in God.

Yeah the more deeper I get into the natural sciences the more complexity that becomes apparent. On all levels it has vast degrees of order and precise behavior.

edit on 11-12-2019 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Watched it last night, fantastic. Curd Jurgens stole the show.

Any other recommendations of some classics i might have missed?

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

To be fair i agree with nothing you say as far as theology and science is concerned.

I just think you're a pretty good forum troll. Well i'm assuming you're trolling, it's hard to tell sometimes, which is the point i suppose.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

It was a long journey and the final step is the most frightening but i think once you find true faith and belief in a creator it gives you strength. I certainly no longer feel like i'm on my own on this journey.

If you don't mind me asking do you prescribe to any particular religion?

I find it a more personal experience rather than being a follower of scripture, i ask for help and guidance and somehow that little voice in my head knows what to do. When you have the will to follow the truth it really can set you free.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Trolling why am I trolling my own thread you cut me to the
quick. I was just joking hoping everyone else would lighten up.
sheesh! Whatever

edit on 11-12-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Watched it last night, fantastic. Curd Jurgens stole the show.

Any other recommendations of some classics i might have missed?

One of my fave sci fi films - Dark Star?
If you liked the Godfather just watched The Irishman. Robert de Niro and Al Pacino.
My favourite film is Stardust - Robert de Niro is great as a cross dressing pirate. Just brilliant.
Our classic Boxing Day film is - of course - the Great Escape. Watch it every year.

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join