It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween isn't the same

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Wooooow... $2.00 surcharge and 35¢ per minute to talk to Freddie Krueger, but $1.00 gets you 20 certificates for 20 regular soft drinks at McDonalds. Man I loved the 80's, LOL!!!

Hmmm... Do I want 1 minute on the phone with a man who haunts my dreams or would I rather have 47 regular soft drinks... Decisions decisions...

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

In the early 90’s Al Lewis dressed up for a commercial in his Grandpa Munster garb and pitched a recorded 900 phone call. So when he was about 70 years old. Seeing that made me sad.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I live in a town that does trunk or treat at the city park because we all live on 5 acre plus lots down unlit streets. There are only a few subdivisions or condominiums in the town where door to door trick or treating would be feasible.

I've never done the trunk or treating but I've driven by and some people really go all out with decorating their vehicles and have marquees and tents etc... I've been tempted to try it because it seems if you get a good crowd of adults it could be fun.

I miss the old days of Halloween!

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

So people were paying to hear a recording? That's messed up. I was warned as a kid never to call a 900 number, lol. Late nights would always advertise phone sex lines. We used to wonder just how fat the hot sounding chick on the other end was (the one in the commercials). Reminds me of the way a burger is advertised vs the way it looks when you get it.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I grew up on military bases and I loved it when the base would schedule the trick or treating on a different day than the civies. Twice the trick or treating. Usually even back in the 70s and 80s the base tended to do it on Oct 31st because the town did it on the weekend nearest.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

Same with the town I grew up in. No subdivisions because it's a 3 sq mi town and we lived on the outskirts. You should check out the trunk or treat, those things can be fun. Plus it won't be long before those are shut down because of idiots, too. Get it while you can.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

When I was a kid if you still trick or treated at 14 you were a spaz. Lol

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Yeah, well everything changes. There didn't even used to be a Halloween like the one we have these days until the candy companies decided that if they promote the holiday they can sell a lot more candy.

Anyway. Get used to getting old. When I was a kid, we used to celebrate May Day, when you'd go leave little May Day baskets filled with candy on someone's doorstep, ring the bell, then run away. It was kind of like a reverse Halloween. But that's all gone now. That's what happens.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: toolgal462

Oh you were doing it wrong!

We had the plastic pumpkins but dad held the bigger sack. Your pumpkin would get dumped on him every block. Good times. I also enjoyed my father trick or treating with us because he drove, parked and we hit the neighborhood and then moved to the next. He also always dressed up.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
nothing's the same anymore. my childhood memories of the seventies feel like a million lifetimes and a different planet ago.

it's all rather sad.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Loved Fasching in the 80s when I lived in Germany. Great fun and the US base would get into it too.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Well, I've been missing out it seems. I texted my friend and she said they usually walk to the Brew House opposite the park after trunk or treat ends. She doesn't even have kids under 20! I'm definitely going to have to do it before they end it.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

When I was a kid if you still trick or treated at 14 you were a spaz. Lol

Younger than that as I recall where I grew up. The cutoff was when you exited grade school and started in jr. high. Then you switched from trick or treating to pranks and screwing with the grade school kids. It was a right of passage and you were expected to give the young kids a good scare.

edit on 10/30/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I ended up working a haunted house causing nightmares for children and peers alike. Ohio is the place to go for haunted houses because we have about twice as many as any other state. Some better than others of course. But usually all of them have at least one thing that makes the price of admission worth it.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

My mom bought me one costume. ONE! And it was one like this, the damn thing was plastic. All the other times she'd slick my hair back, cuff my jeans, and roll a pack of her cigarettes up in the sleeve of my white t-shirt.

Now that I've grown up and I have kids of my own, I kinda know how she felt. It's not like they were broke, my dad was a Sales Manager for a huge oil company. My mom probably just didn't care to go trick or treating with me and my sister, lol. Growing up in a small town, you have to go find a neighborhood in the city or you won't get anything. So mom would drive us by her friends' houses so we could stop and get candy.

But growing up in the 80's and prior, as kids, we didn't have all the technology that kids have today. Our joy was being outdoors and our entertainment was an 8 bit Nintendo or an Atari, the only tv channels were ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox 33. Things couldn't have been better back then. The only thing I like about technology is the advanced medicine and online bill pay.

Wow that took me back. Casper was the first costume I ever had, the next year I was a skeleton. Hard to believe it’s been about 50+yrs now since. I remember there being hundreds of kids everywhere in our neighborhood and some unlucky homeowner waking up the next morning with his house and yard TP’d. Probably the guy that didn’t give out candy, LOL. I miss the good ‘ol days, it’s just not the same anymore.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Yep, that's pretty much what happened when I was growing up. 11-12 was the oldest you'd see. After that you usually had parties or went to hangouts, or stayed home and passed out candy until the party started. Occasionally you'd take a younger sibling around or a kid your babysat.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well the weather report is in for tomorrow, chances of flurries around 8pm on with a wind chill of 22 F

Air temperature is to go below freezing later tomorrow night.

Trick, definitely not a treat for the kiddos.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I completely agree. And it makes me sad.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I grew up next to Salem, MA. Halloween is pretty big there too

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

While the kids are having sugar- and food dye-induced dissociative episodes, no less!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join