It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Science is settled. Or was.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Why can't you just discuss what I said, instead of what you project on me? I don't discount warming. It's happening, more in some places, less in others. I get that.

I'm not projecting

Let me simplify - and clarify. I'm not arguing - and I'm not here to insult you. I can see you thinking. I can hear your thinking. You're not being honest with yourself

What I said is that you are being willfully ignorant. You don't want to see this. Nobody does - I assure you. You are afraid of making a mistake. You don't want to trust that the people who are telling us this is something we are causing are being honest

And lastly, even if I sold all my worldly belongings, and moved to a commune which was based completely on living green, the world would still be in the same boat it is now.

One of the things I love most about mankind is how they can and will resist and fight - even when confronted with an insurmountable problem. This is where we are now

Phage points out that getting millions of people on board with the idea of necessary sacrifice and change is probably not going to happen. I agree with him:

There are a whole lot of humans on the planet. Humans as small groups don't deal well with change. Humans by the millions do less well. But humans are adaptable, given enough time.

Given enough time - and incentive. We may not be able to prevent what's happening - but we can affect what's happening. We can learn to live with it - we can mitigate the damage. Doesn't seem possible is not the same as impossible

Wakey wakey network - we're burning daylight. Wishful thinking and delusion - though comforting - are not going to pull our ass out of the fire

We can work towards a better future for everyone - but it's going to take a worldwide effort

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

what is the solution? Bust that sucker out right here. Just tell me what I need to stop doing to fix all this.

But hurry, California won't last much longer. Global Warming has set it's sights on the big CA.

And just so you understand what and why I say these things. We as a species are kind of arrogant. We think we know everything and that the world revolves around us. It's my belief (notice I said belief, not something factual) that as we learn more, we might find that many other factors drive climate, and while our pollution is a bad thing, it's not enough to make the planet burst into flames.

Did you walk to work today?

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Did you walk to work today?

Funny you should ask :-)

Even if I didn't, pointing out that we are all tied to a system that evolved over time isn't useful. It's not about hypocrisy - this is the world we live in. It's not something we can abandon or change over night. This isn't what people are even suggesting

We have to find ways to quit feeding the problem. There's also money and jobs created from going green - this can be a win win

what is the solution? Bust that sucker out right here. Just tell me what I need to stop doing to fix all this.

It's what we all need to do network - not just you: acknowledge the problem. Support people with knowledge and the ability to address specific parts of the problem we're all facing. Feed money into change. Legislate change

We need to quit thinking of this as a political or ideological situation. It's existential

I'm not naive, I know what we're up against. As you just said - humans are arrogant. They think they know everything

But, the thing is - we are smart if not always wise. We know a lot. We are capable of figuring out mysteries and solving problems. An honest search for the truth is a journey and a process

To be honest - conversations like this one are pretty useful. Maybe it's not obvious immediately - but they are

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

to be sure you understand where I am coming from, we were told quite a few things about our immediate future. to date, almost none of them are even close. So we have been fear mongered to death for a bit. that tends to make folks apprehensive about believing the same lie, being told by others.

As I said, we are warming. I doubt anyone denies that, what I see is some questions on if it's man's fault, or more of a cyclic function. (here is where that arrogance creeps in) we are told "the science is settled", and it's not. Just like this thread, I brought up what I had read that new data might change everything.

It seems the AGW crowd will go to any length to not admit what I keep saying. We might not know every part of this equation.

I sincerely hope that my wishes for you and Phage to be completely and totally wrong on this don't translate into my will to destroy the Earth. I just think we could scale back the fear a bit and learn a bit more before the next faux outrage session. And If I'm wrong, and we as a people can screw up an entire planet in 200 years (that isn't a straw man, it's kind of what has been said since Algore did his movie) then there is hope that such an easily disrupted eco system could be fixed. But if it takes removing fossil fuels to do that, someone better start thinking of fixing the commute first and foremost. Otherwise, it's nothing but mental masturbation.

And I hope you are doing well.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I wish I was wrong too. Nothing would make me happier. Nothing

I do understand where you're coming from - questioning things is what we all should be doing. All of the time. I know you're hung up on that science is settled phrase. But, having said that, consensus is not about people thinking they know everything. There comes a time when the preponderance of evidence wins out over reasonable doubt:

World Scientists’ Warning of a Climate Emergency

Ciao network. I hope you're doing well your own self

edit on 11/5/2019 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

No wind? No sun? This power plant solves renewable energy's biggest problem

Not perfect - but people are working on it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join