It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House says Armenian mass killing was genocide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

The US House of Representatives has voted overwhelmingly in favour of recognising the mass killing of Armenians by Ottoman Turks during World War One as a genocide.

Well, reading the headline and the beginning of the article, one could almost say "it's about time" or "thankfully we're recognizing history".

But for some reason, I'm not able to be as positive about something that should be a good thing. Before I get into it, I just want to say I'm not going to defend Turkey in any way, more or less, I'm just looking at our angle of this.

So this event happened in 1915-1916... So we're just a hair pass a hundred years in "recognizing" something history teaches rather plainly.

So why now?

The issue is highly sensitive and comes amid deteriorating US-Turkey relations

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the "worthless" vote, which was held on Turkey's National Day, was the "biggest insult" to Turkish people.

Looks, like Turkey fell out of good graces, so they get the cold shoulder from the US... Which I'm fine with in most forms, but something about using a peoples genocide as a geopolitical football doesn't make me feel good. Maybe it would be different for me if we just put it through the house, let the media run it's cycle... But now people even seem to be using it to get their name out there for domestic politics (2020).

Mr Biden tweeted: "By acknowledging this genocide we honour the memory of its victims and vow: never again."

So you're telling me Mr Biden, that by recognizing we held our tongues for 100 years, and finally voicing out once they f#ed up... We're preventing genocide? OK Joe.

Or Pelosi-

The resolution passed by a vote of 405 to 11. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi joined her colleagues "in solemn remembrance of one of the great atrocities of the 20th Century".

And Schiff (bit of caveat for this one, he claims to have been trying to get this through for 19 years, so he gets a bit of leeway with me in the hand sitting department)-

"We will not be party to genocide denial. We will not be silent. We will never forget."

Now I rip on the dems because that's who BBC quoted in this article.. I'm unsure if any Republicans said anything notable, but I'd rip on them too. The bill passed 405-11, so it seems everyone was on board all of a sudden to "do the right thing".

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, and if I am, please someone fill me in.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

100 years is way too long to wait to say something official.
Makes it at least appear to be purely political.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I agree why wait 100 years to state the obvious unless the old tried and true method of demonizing a future opponent is now in the offing ? The Armenians darn sure have not forgotten !

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Turkey is not a future opponent, they are a current opponent.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

100 years is way too long to wait to say something official.
Makes it at least appear to be purely political.

In my mind, it's more of a jab at ourselves than at Turkey.

This has been taught in our schools, the global community has known for some time, and it just now gets an overwhelming vote in a divided and grid locked congress?

Maybe I'm being cynical, but it just really rubs me the wrong way. I'll let it go if it leads up to Turkey getting booted from NATO, and our ties mostly severed... But so far I'm chalking this up as talk is cheap, and too little too late.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Why should I care now?

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
In 2008 recognizing Armenian genocide was one of Obama‘s campaign promises .

In 2015 on the hundred year anniversary he wouldn’t even say the phrase .

Now I’m surprised at who I have to complement. Adam Schiff has stuck to his guns in his condemnation of the event .

Five years before that in 2010. Ever the opportunist Nancy Pelosi refused to bring it to a vote .

I didn’t bother to look up Biden because you know where his nose was .

Nancy did not do this out of the goodness of her heart. She stood on 1 million bodies to wield a political weapon against Trump.

Which could end up reigniting hostilities in Syria .

Even by Hillary Clinton standards she’s a evil woman.
edit on 30-10-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   

So why now?

Turkey lost it's geopolitical value for the Nato and started to pose a problem since Putin and Erdogan made a few deals, that's why. Everything was nice and dandy when the old Ottoman Empire served as an operational base for OP Gladio, but by now it's just a bunch of German weapons in the wrong hands again.

Thanks a bunch, Gabriel and Merkel! And they say I'm the cynic...

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Why should I care now?

Because the clowns who run our country really think the people who elected them are this f#ing dumb.

They're even doing victory laps and asking for pats on the back.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

My Armenian Great-Grandparents immigrated to the US in the late 1800s. I always wondered how many of their friends and family didn't make it out.

That side of the fanily doesn't refer to the furniture puece you put your feet on as an "ottoman" - its a hazzoc (sp?) instead lol.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I would think they'd want to put their feet on an Ottoman.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: dogstar23

I would think they'd want to put their feet on an Ottoman.

They changed the name of toilette too.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Turkish bath?

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Turkish bath? mouth

Fixed that for ya.
edit on 30-10-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Well that has been Adam Schifts
pet project for years no? 2007

en.wikipedia.org...
So he projects that he is a good Jewish boy beyond question.

How about his first after school "Harvard" Russian Spy Case of Richard Miller
from the FBI? 1. Hung Jury , 2. Overturned on Appeal, 3. Convicted in a 3rd Trial,,,
afterwards Shifty created an image of himself as a Good Commie Hunter.

When all along he is a Glovsky Old Residue Soviet Mole Hiding in The SCIF
Schiff in the SCIF. How about that perspective on the infiltration of
The United States of America ?
www.dni.gov...

They will never take our Culper Ring, They will never sink this ship.
The Rat is In The Trap.
Ready or not, Here we come.
God bless The United States of America.
S&F to your thread,as everyone wants to blame someone else these days.....even the ghosts of the past. SAVVY?
edit on 30-10-2019 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Oppression Olympics

Ps I have Irish ancestors I want that potato famine money son!

Or here’s a better idea almost everyone at some point in history got screwed. He say history had a ton of seriously messed up people and move on with our day.

This reminds me of how holocaust victims grandchildren tried to win in court the right to reparations through shared genetic post traumatic stress or some sh!t. I still can’t believe we helped pay it when it was my grandfathers putting their life’s on the line for these people.

But I’m getting side tracked we all know why this was ignored Because it got in the way of the Holocaust narrative victimhood

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Veryolduser

This reminds me of how holocaust victims grandchildren tried to win in court the right to reparations through shared genetic post traumatic stress or some sh!t. I still can’t believe we helped pay it when it was my grandfathers putting their life’s on the line for these people.

Every demographic has a portion of people who would do things we wouldn't agree with.

But I’m getting side tracked we all know why this was ignored Because it got in the way of the Holocaust narrative victimhood

Or we were allies with Turkey until they started going rogue against our interests, hence why we finally decided to "put it on the record" of US politics they committed genocide, as if history hasn't already done the same... And these egotistical sociopaths think that they just made a difference in the world.

The only difference between this and the Holocaust, is our blind eye with the holocaust didn't last as long. We had sins in relation to acknowledging that one as well. If our hand wasn't forced in ways... We may be recognizing that in 2040.

Edit: with all of the above said, an atrocity against a people is still an atrocity... Just because many peoples have gone through such doesn't mean anyone gets to downplay one over another. They were all horrible, and when we forget one, or belittle it... It makes it that much easier to happen again. It appears you have a chip on your sleeve, so maybe try addressing the chip or how you're presenting the ideas.
edit on 30-10-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The timing of this seems like they just lit some kind of fuse for something coming

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
The bill passed 405-11,

So... curiosity demands: who were the 11 that voted against it, and what were their reasons?
edit on 30-10-2019 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2019 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
The bill passed 405-11,

So... curiosity demands: who were the 111 that voted against it, and what were their reasons?

I have a few guesses which I'll post before I dig into it... Because I started to wonder the same thing.

I have three theories.

1. All around general cuckery for Turkey.

2. Campaign donations for companies trying to do weapon deals with Turkey. (or less likely general commerce companies who deal with Turkey).

3. Campaign donations through pacs from Turkey, or US citizens with close ties to Turkey.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join