It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should you have the right to edit your own DNA?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
You already do. If you want to make a genetic train wreck just pick someone who is already a genetic train wreck and have babies with them.

That is true, but what we are talking about it the time it takes to do it. The dog example I gave would normally take 150years to see changes, in the example they used they could realize the changes in two generations.

Ehhh. It's not like it matters anyway. Humans have made a mess out of everything we've ever been able to do. I guess if nothing else it will be fun to watch the freakshow. Or maybe there won't be enough people left who know it's a freakshow to be entertained by it.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

You already do. If you want to make a genetic train wreck just pick someone who is already a genetic train wreck and have babies with them.

That is true, but what we are talking about it the time it takes to do it. The dog example I gave would normally take 150years to see changes, in the example they used they could realize the changes in two generations.

Ehhh. It's not like it matters anyway. Humans have made a mess out of everything we've ever been able to do. I guess if nothing else it will be fun to watch the freakshow. Or maybe there won't be enough people left who know it's a freakshow to be entertained by it.

Maybe we will last long enough to enjoy not having ticks and mosquitoes around! That is one improvement i'm all for!

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I just finished watching the series. There were some interesting perspectives. I am completely against government regulation because like some in the show I believe it would simply make it where only the rich have the ability to use it. Like the 2.1 million dollar treatment that costs a few thousand dollars to make and was created by a lab that had been funded by our tax dollars. That part made me angry.

Another side of me the pessimistic and dark side wonders if humanity as a whole will be better if things like malaria are eradicated. On the surface it would be something to celebrate, but what will the world look like with a human population explosion.

We need to solve the energy problem and by that, I mean something like fusion. There are many who have said that if that was properly funded it would have been solved decades ago. There is only so much they can do with outdated reactors. We also need to push towards space. Two thumbs up for Elon Musk. Just to be clear though, we have had the knowledge if applied to do so for decades. It would have been immensely expensive to build the infrastructure but the payoff IMO would be worth it. Look up Lofstrom Loop for what I mean. Again though, the dark side of such tech. We don't want jihadists or nut jobs in space with the ability to send meteors towards Earth. so it kind of makes me wonder if the reason no one has pushed for space colonization before is because they see the inherent danger and haven't been able to come up with a way to keep a catastrophy from happening.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Like the 2.1 million dollar treatment that costs a few thousand dollars to make and was created by a lab that had been funded by our tax dollars. That part made me angry.

That was terrible wasn't it. Reminded me of the epi-pen guy.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join