It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should you have the right to edit your own DNA?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: JAGStorm

Oh? I am going to download and watch it now.

I write scifi fantasy books and have been thinking about the subject for a new story.

Wow, I thought you watched it already, everything you said was spot on.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I say bring it on. I want to breathe underwater and be resistant to the vacuum of space.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I haven't seen it, but the subject came up in one of Isaac Arthur's videos.

I get a lot of ideas for stories from his vids.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
I say bring it on. I want to breathe underwater and be resistant to the vacuum of space.

Don't forget we might have the ability to super slow aging, maybe adding 30%+ more years to our life.....

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Push this to finding the gay or trans gene...and then decide whether or not to change...?

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Why not copy the immortal Jellyfish? It can reverse its aging.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: underwerks

Don't forget we might have the ability to super slow aging, maybe adding 30%+ more years to our life.....

I'll pass on that one.

Lol

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Is this how it all goes down? Not a nuclear weapons, not WWIII, not being poisoned by foods, or climate change...

Yep...

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Why not copy the immortal Jellyfish? It can reverse its aging.

Here's an informative and riveting video on said jellyfish.

Your welcome.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
You already do. If you want to make a genetic train wreck just pick someone who is already a genetic train wreck and have babies with them.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
You already do. If you want to make a genetic train wreck just pick someone who is already a genetic train wreck and have babies with them.

That is true, but what we are talking about it the time it takes to do it. The dog example I gave would normally take 150years to see changes, in the example they used they could realize the changes in two generations.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

I'm the genetic train wreck if anyone is down.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Yup...

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
How do you "edit your own DNA"? You're already alive, right? Billions of cells are working with your "old" DNA. How are you going to get your "new" DNA into all those cells? I don't understand how this mechanism would work.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
I see:

Cat’s eyes, whiskers and tails
Elf ears and fairy wings
Angel/devil wings

Mostly cosmetic changes, pay the big bucks and get some functions. But I doubt anyone will fly with the wings as there is damage potential just like arms and fingers today.

There will be a HUGE rise in the population of Simultaneous-Hermaphrodites.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
How do you "edit your own DNA"? You're already alive, right? Billions of cells are working with your "old" DNA. How are you going to get your "new" DNA into all those cells? I don't understand how this mechanism would work.

CRISPR/Cas9 in its original form is a homing device (the CRISPR part) that guides molecular scissors (the Cas9 enzyme) to a target section of DNA. Together, they work as a genetic-engineering cruise missile that disables or repairs a gene, or inserts something new where the Cas9 scissors has made some cuts.

There is also this link for explanation of CRISPR from the NIH: ghr.nlm.nih.gov...

And incidentally, I would also highly recommend watching Unnatural Selection.
edit on 29-10-2019 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Rejoice my fellow Homo Sapiens!

For you live in an era of originality, soon to be reliquished to higher forms!!

It is here, on this day, that we came to terms with our destiny and humbly step aside for Homo Superior!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Here is a very simple explanation: Think of an old typewriter with the letter T that is deformed, every time you type, that letter T will be deformed right? If you can fix that letter T, everything from that point will be fixed. Your DNA can be fixed like that. The delivery method is through bacteria etc that is introduced through your skin, or injected in you. In the dog example, they edit it with the sperm and egg.

edit on 29-10-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-10-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join