It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal immigration: The fix everyone ignores, likely because it would obviously work..

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   
What if instead of criminalizing it, we used a sort of tax incentive, or made it into a contest.

Step 1: Every company in an industry is required to contribute to a fund.

Step 2: ICE makes random raids, targeting all businesses equally (or as close to equal as they can, perhaps rolling actual dice so the raids are fairly distributed, but truly random.)

Step 3: Data is collected.

Whichever company had the fewest illegals per number of employees, collects half of the fund.
The second runner up, gets a quarter of the fund.
The third runner up gets , maybe an eighth.

Middle companies get back most of what they paid in.

The worst companies, simply forfeit what they paid in. It's a total loss for them.

How much you want to bet that the rate of illegal employee hiring goes down to the floor that industry?

originally posted by: Jason79
a reply to: Phage

Simple, as long as every employee filled out a "I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification" form, and the company submitted it to the US Citizen and Immigration Services. They are exempt from prosecution because they did their do diligence. Stopping one person doesn't make headlines, but waiting to arrest dozens makes headlines and guarantees federal funding.

This is why bigger penalties won't change anything. You can't prove a company "meant" to hire illegals, even if they did mean to.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
IMO the best way to solve the illegal immigration problem is to start with welfare. Millions of Americans are on welfare, a good percentage of them don't work but are able bodied an fully capable... but they have no incentive to since the starting wage for unskilled labor is less than what you can get for welfare benefits in many states.

If you have a large number of American citizens suddenly looking for low payed work currently being done by illegals then there will be a push for laws to change and a crack down on illegal imigration. As bad as it sounds, being hungry is a great motivator. At the same time you reduce the tax burden on the existing working class by not having to foot the bill for so much welfare and you would now have more legal workers in the workforce. Yeah its tough at first, no one in the right mind should expect a single job living wage from Burger King, thats why you work hard, gain some skills and move up to something better.

I grew up on welfare after my father had some health issues, but even after he recovered and was able to work again he had no incentive to go back into the workforce since we had more money and health benefits than we did when he was working making a lower middle class salary. Heck he was even able to start supporting his main hobby on welfare... gun collecting. Something is seriously wrong when welfare destroys your work ethic.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taldi
As bad as it sounds, being hungry is a great motivator.

Being hungry terrifies people. Besides which hunger isn't the problem most poor people face. It's keeping a roof over their head.

Once you end up homeless, it's exponentially harder and harder to get a job. There's nowhere for them to send mail. You look and smell bad when you go to the interview.

At the same time you reduce the tax burden on the existing working class by not having to foot the bill for so much welfare and you would now have more legal workers in the workforce. Yeah its tough at first, no one in the right mind should expect a single job living wage from Burger King, thats why you work hard, gain some skills and move up to something better.

If you're working multiple jobs, just to make ends meet, you probably don't have time to "gain some skills" and "move up to something better".

You're probably eating crumby food, turning the heat down in the winter, and taking the bus (which adds about 2 more hours of unpaid time to your work day.)

I grew up on welfare after my father had some health issues, but even after he recovered and was able to work again he had no incentive to go back into the workforce since we had more money and health benefits than we did when he was working making a lower middle class salary. Heck he was even able to start supporting his main hobby on welfare... gun collecting. Something is seriously wrong when welfare destroys your work ethic.

The problem is the hard edge on the program. The "all or nothing" aspect. You either get full benefits because you can show zero income, or you make a few dollars and get kicked off the program.

A better system would be one where you CAN work while on welfare, but you kick 50 cents of every dollar you make back to the state.

(So once a person gets to the point where they are making 2 times their welfare benefits, they would be paying the state exactly as much money as the state pays them, at which point it would make sense to simply get off the program.)

edit on 30-10-2019 by bloodymarvelous because: clarify that last part

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

Being hungry terrifies people. Besides which hunger isn't the problem most poor people face. It's keeping a roof over their head.

Once you end up homeless, it's exponentially harder and harder to get a job. There's nowhere for them to send mail. You look and smell bad when you go to the interview.

Certainly is scary.. as for the going homeless thing, unfortunately many people in this country have lost the sense of helping out their friends and family and just leave it for the government to take care of. Ideally your friends, family, church etc should be the first to help out when things are rough, the big G should always be last. Several of my siblings where homeless at times, but like many homeless people it had more to do with drug addiction and being kicked out as kids by #ty parents.

If you're working multiple jobs, just to make ends meet, you probably don't have time to "gain some skills" and "move up to something better".

You'd be surprised what skills you learn doing crumby jobs that lead to bigger and better things. Heck me being one of 13 kids (I'm #9) and the first with a HS diploma and no college education at all went being a welfare kid and taking crumby work like fast food and graveyard janitorial work to making 6 figures. All based on skills I learned on the job. If I can do that then almost anyone could do half as good.

I completely understand why most of the illegal immigrants come here, many come from $#@! hole countries where they have Real poverty and civil unrest, where as the struggle our poor have may seem like a Sunday walk in the park in comparison. However if we want to stop them I think we need fundamental changes starting with putting the millions of able bodied Americans back to work, and that has to start somewhere.

I think immigration is a good thing for America but I think it should be done the correct legal way, and the process needs some serious work. We also do not want just anyone, we should want those people that can offer real value to our country... which is unfortunate for their countries of origin because those type of immigrants can often times do some real good making their $#@! hole countries better.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny
It's like you have posted this thread before but as another sock lolololol

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
How about making it a felony offense to be in our nation illegally? The first offense is a third-degree felony, etc. Construct prisons near the border similar to what Joe Arpaio did in Arizona, with tents and cots and nothing but water, rice, beans and cornmeal to drink and eat, like they eat in their homelands. Work them hard on useful tasks, preferably building a border wall. Make it unpleasant so they won’t come back. Is it cruel to suggest this? I don’t give a damn; they knowingly violated our laws, many of them repeatedly.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Its not meant to be solved. Its another one of those "issues" that exists only as a talking point to keep partisan hacks occupied.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

I posted the same idea a few years back, and yes it WOULD work if it were initiated, but it wont be. Because although the majority of the people would like to see immigration reform, the people in POWER really don't want it. And that includes both dems and republicans. For a very simple reason, cheap labor. Immigration is just a hot button issue to get the respective bases stirred up and not much else. If it wasn't, we could very quickly end it, by simply fining and or jailing anyone caught hiring someone not legally here. But we don't and we wont. And here are a couple other unpleasant facts. One, the American population is aging and soon there will be a worker shortage. The boomers are all retired and or approaching retirement, and a lot of millennials aren't interested in the low skill/ farm /construction work that illegals typically take. No one will admit this of course. Japan is having a similar problem right now. The other thing is that a lot of illegals are typically bigger consumers than Americans, as they tend to have bigger families and of course as a result are bigger shoppers. Older boomers have typically bought all their big ticket items and spend less after 50. Millenials are either saddled with student loan debt or lack buying power due to the low wage service economy. Who will go to the mall more, an American couple with 1.5 kids or a Hispanic couple with 2-3 kids? Every time I go to the mall I see oodles of Hispanics buying everything under the sun. Take all those consumers away and our economy will shrink, and TPTB know this.

I am not making a case for illegal immigration, I personally think people have to follow a legal path to citizenship, but that's the reality we are in now. Our birth rate is low and not likely to increase, theirs is much higher. That means more workers and consumers. To the one percent that is a cash cow and they wont be passing any legislation any time soon to end it.
edit on 31-10-2019 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

I figure while their building the wall they'll build a secret tunnel under it so certain people can collect the money to get illegals across the border instead of the Coyote's getting it all.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join