It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Handwritten Letters

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
We live in a world so digital and cold; there is something to be said for a personal touch. (not the creepy Joe Biden kind of 'touch').

I've written about this before, but I've always had this thing for paper, pens and pencils. As such I love to hand write communications to family and friends. And frankly, there's nothing better than receiving something hand written in return. It's a fun hobby and one consistent with our western lifestyle. As a amateur history nut about the Old West, hand written communications were once the only real way to communicate. Eventually the telegraph would come along, but it was still quite a while before written communications died down. Now, with the internet, email and countless other forms of communication hand written letters are all but dead. For my part, I aim to change this, if only in some small inconsequential way.

I often write letters to my sisters and friends. I use old west parchment paper and fountain pens. I emboss the paper and envelopes with our ranch seal, and even place a wax seal on the weathered parchment envelopes. It's a hobby for me, but I the recipients say they love them.

To sit down and pen a letter is therapeutic for me in a way. To receive a hand penned letter is a treasure for me as well. I think there's a bit more heart and soul which comes from the hand, to the pen and onto the paper, than there is a simple finger punch on a keyboard and a send button. I often see posts here on ATS where words typed in haste are taken the wrong way and arguments begin. Hand writing takes more thought, because once it is written, it is written. You can trash the entire document and start over, but in the old days (like today) it takes time to pen a letter and just throwing it away is a waste.

In Mom's waning years I used to write her letters all the time, much the same as referred to above. She cherished those letters. And though she really couldn't write back very well she always spoke about how her and her friends used to read them over and over. When my sisters and I cleaned out her estate we found a box with all those letters, all neatly tied up in a 4 way ribbon, envelopes and all.

I once read a book which stays close to the top of the stacks of my books always. It is entitled 'Mark Twain's Notebooks (Journals, Letters, Observations with Wisdom and Doodles)', edited by Carlo Devito. If you ever come across this book, I highly recommend it. I refer to it often. It, among so many others, harkens back to a simpler and much more rich time; a better time. A time when people would disappear for years, decades even, on adventures and the only word from them was a written letter. Many of those adventurers knew they may never return, and there was little hope of receiving a response, but they wrote anyway. It was humanity.

Do you ever hand write letters? When was the last time you received an actual letter from someone? I'm not talking about a birthday card with a signature inside, but an actual hand penned letter?

As the snow falls outside the window here in Colorado, I just finished penning a letter to my eldest sister. Hopefully it will be appreciated.
edit on 10/27/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Note writing robots.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Beg your pardon?

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
The last time I wrote a handwritten letter was this time last week, a birthday letter to an old friend.
But I gather children at school nowadays are not being taught "joined up writing" (which used to be the definition of literacy). Painfully writing one letter at a time must slow things down, which is one reason why they stop doing it.
I wonder how they write quick notes to themselves.

edit on 27-10-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I used to have pen pals back in the day. I would share letters with people from all over the Country. We would include pictures, magazine clippings, stickers, recipes etc. I include a little letter and a 'thinking of you' card to people. I also have the wax seals like you do. It's been a while though. I used to have parchment paper, but haven't bought any in quite sometime. I love the texture of that paper.

It was always exciting picking up the mail and having a letter arrive instead of just bills and junk mail.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Beg your pardon?

You never received a fake hand written letter in the mail?

Insurance companies love to send those out.

was just thinking about how I could use one of those.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I hate hand written notes....
Specifically cursive....

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I agree, a letter, a sheet of paper, you cannot reword it because you think it sounds better. It comes from the heart.

For daily usage I have three different kind of letters:
digital, handwritten and.... to the peril of my workmates, steno.

Even I can not read that after a week or two. It is just wiggly lines.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

My mum still writes me a 3 page letter on average about once every two weeks.

It does my head in, to be honest. Firstly because she's an incredibly neurotic women and secondly because why not just type out a email?

But I do always read them, out of respect for her. Even though I've never actually responded in kind by written letter. I mean, where the f# is she still getting these envelopes and postage stamps from in this day in age?

lol.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Now I understand.

Yeah, I've seen those too...in our mailbox. Grrrr.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
My grandson cannot read cursive. He doesn't use e-mail. He can only text. My mother and grandmother both had perfect handwriting. They learned the Palmer Method at an early age. The only thing I handwrite now is a grocery list.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I haven’t written a letter in many, many years.

But then, I don’t really have anyone to write to nowadays.

I did recently receive a nice handwritten note from the veterinarian on the passing of my 18 year old pet cat. A sympathy card with a lock of his fur.

One of the first “luxuries” I allowed myself when I started my “career” job, was a nice, but reasonably priced fountain pen (though truth to tell, I lusted after a Lamborghini-licensed model machined out of solid titanium at a “mere” $2,000USD!).

In my earlier days, I worked in a print shop that still used hand-set lead type. There is something very special about the printed word, and it is even more special when you can actually “feel” those words “embossed” into the paper they’re written on.

“Engraved in stone”, “My Word is My Bond”; these phrases seem to be very comfortable contemporaries somehow.

A fine pen in a considerate hand, speaking not just in words but conveying subtle emotion, beyond simple words, with each stroke. Committed to posterity by the permanence of a sturdy well-crafted paper, against the frailty of human memory.

A thought, a testament to the human mind and spirit from which it sprang, unique and precious, sealed with wax against Time and Corruption.
edit on 27-10-2019 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-10-2019 by Bhadhidar because: I hate autocorrect!

edit on 27-10-2019 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
My sweet 85 year old Mother and I write notes to each other. They are always precious to me. I try to include funny drawings or sayings which she seems to enjoy. I do include stickers etc. Silly things. It's fun. I also write to my adult son and a couple old friends. Don't send many Christmas cards and don't miss those Christmas bragging letters.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I love pens, especially fountain pens. I have been collecting them for a while now.

I enjoy the look I see on the faces of my older patients when I hand them my Montblanc fountain pen to use when they have to sign their names.

My younger patients are puzzled and most have never seen a fountain pen before. Believe it or not, most of them ask me, "How do I use this?"

Of course my even younger patients have made me feel ancient, when they comment that they are unfamiliar with cursive writing and even say they can't read it.

I don't do calligraphy so it was surprising to me the number of people that claim to be unable to read cursive. Just more proof that pen and paper are going the way of the horse and buggy. There is hope in the fact that though not main stream, many still enjoy the pleasures of things past.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

There is hope in the fact that though not main stream, many still enjoy the pleasures of things past.

And I would be faithfully among those many.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

A fine pen in a considerate hand, speaking not just in words but conveying subtle emotion, beyond simple words, with each stroke. Committed to posterity by the permanence of a sturdy well-crafted paper, against the frailty of human memory.

A thought, a testament to the human mind and spirit from which it sprang, unique and precious, sealed with wax against Time and Corruption.

Did you write this, or is it a quote from somewhere?

ETA - In other words, who do I credit were I to use this phrase again somewhere?

edit on 10/27/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
In my college years in the late 90's I had a girlfriend move to a college out of town. We both had dial-up internet and would chat everyday on yahoo messenger and the like. But one night while drinking (lol) I wrote an actual letter about some non-conversational thoughts I was having. It was more an essay but personalized to her.

She wrote back in kind and it became a years-long habit. It was a different form of communication we had that existed outside of the everyday messenger chats and phone conversations. It added a great deal of depth to our relationship.

Writing by hand takes a great deal more thought before putting down the words. It's time consuming and space is limited. It makes the content much more substantive.

I miss it. Not her but, the letter-writing.

edit on 10/27/2019 by Admitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I wonder if Ben Franklin sent hand drawn dick pics.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

To the best of my knowledge and memory (though I’m fairly certain that neither are completely vouchsafed) those are my words alone.

I know.

Who talks, or even thinks!, like that anymore, right?

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

Classy!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join