It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post Changes Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi Orbituary

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: face23785

Indeed, they do.

Just don't get why at a minimum they didn't just go with a neutral headline.

Absurd that original headline was even possible.

That's kinda what I was getting at. The fact that anyone there thought that was a reasonable headline to use shows you just how bat# loony Trump has driven them. When even some of our leftists here are saying that was not smart to use, you know it's bad.

It was the weekend crew. My guess is that whoever proofs things before they go up for public consumption isn't too bright and thought Al-Bhagdadi was a rapper otherwise known as Al Big Daddy.

I think left-wing media not being objective in the face of a serious feather in the cap of a Republican president is a much more likely explanation.

You're probably right. At least someone at the paper was paying attention and called for a change.

Let's not kid ourselves, they only changed it because of the backlash. They still agree with the original headline.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Hitler came to power because Germany was broke and going nowhere after world war 1 . Any attempt to portray him as anything but a monster is to me delusional .

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 10uoutlaw

If he could be used to make the point that Trump is worse, some on the left know no bounds.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Yeah, that figures, doesn't it? I'm surprised they didn't fk'ing nominate him for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Good riddance. Rest in Pieces!

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

" Deranged lunatics do not rise to positions of power and prominence. "

Oh Really ? Ever hear of Adolf Hitler ? LOL , What a .....

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It seems the phrase "austere religious scholar" has too many idiot panties in a wad over nothing.

austere adjective
aus·​tere | ȯ-ˈstir
also -ˈster
Definition of austere

1a : stern and cold in appearance or manner an austere Puritan
b : somber, grave an austere critic
2 : morally strict : ascetic
3 : markedly simple or unadorned an austere office an austere style of writing
4 : giving little or no scope for pleasure austere diets
5 of a wine : having the flavor of acid or tannin predominant over fruit flavors usually indicating a capacity for aging

www.merriam-webster.com...

I find it fooking astonishing how something as astute as AUSTERE regarding this guy has people worked up. I'm pretty sure half the people bitching have no clue what it really means and think it's a compliment. The damn word was an apt choice -- He WAS cold and strict, most extremists are. Go ahead, try and dispute that definition and subsequent word choice.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
neither was hitler he just wanted to paint go figure a reply to: Ohanka

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

But you have to pull a back muscle to avoid the context of the next two words, 'religious leader' to conveniently avoid the most logical definition provided in your own source--- 2. morally strict ---which was far more likely intended by the author.
edit on 27-10-2019 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

originally posted by: silo13

An obituary is supposed to say what a man was like and their work in life, and Al-Baghdadi was not a frothing at the mouth deranged lunatic, nor was Osama Bin Laden.

Tell that to Kayla.

And yes, he was a 'frothing at the mouth deranged lunatic'!

What the hell is wrong with you?

Deranged lunatics do not rise to positions of power and prominence.

Giving an accurate account of his personality and his life prior to the rise of the Islamic State does not detract from the many crimes he committed.

A man can be a monster without hysterically being turned into a caricature.

I actually understand what you're saying, and why it isn't being well-received.

If we took a more reasoned and realistic approach, we may have a better understanding of the "who" when it comes to identifying threats.

Granted, our intelligence services know the reality, which is *mostly* all that matters. The frothing at the mouth image most have of terrorists comes care of our propaganda machines, as it makes for a more ideal "bad guy" public perception.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Look at this photo of ISIS victim Kayla Mueller: theconservativetreehouse.com...

Quickly "killing" ISIS terrorists is being too kind. They should be tied to a post and the public allowed to exact punishment.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

They really did that? That's kinda scary how blindly liberal that writer has become. Well placed jokes about the opposition 23 stars and counting for the win.

When people see my star count and know I defend the President with charismatic wit, I'll be on my way to being a member of the ATS Illuminati. It's damn near impossible to get in while being honest but I'm learning.
edit on 27-10-2019 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
It seems the phrase "austere religious scholar" has too many idiot panties in a wad over nothing.

austere adjective
aus·​tere | ȯ-ˈstir
also -ˈster
Definition of austere

1a : stern and cold in appearance or manner an austere Puritan
b : somber, grave an austere critic
2 : morally strict : ascetic
3 : markedly simple or unadorned an austere office an austere style of writing
4 : giving little or no scope for pleasure austere diets
5 of a wine : having the flavor of acid or tannin predominant over fruit flavors usually indicating a capacity for aging

www.merriam-webster.com...

I find it fooking astonishing how something as astute as AUSTERE regarding this guy has people worked up. I'm pretty sure half the people bitching have no clue what it really means and think it's a compliment. The damn word was an apt choice -- He WAS cold and strict, most extremists are. Go ahead, try and dispute that definition and subsequent word choice.

I tend to intepret austere as conservative. Greek austerity measures etc which were to encourage people not to spend their money in ways that weaken the nation's economy or change it into another currency, but instead prop up the value of the government of a nation because of a problematic economy.

It also makes me think of "perfect" in a lifestyle context. Never does anything wrong, moral, simple. What didn't come to mind was cold, stern, somber or grave. He was those things but the definition in my google search upstairs didn't register.
edit on 27-10-2019 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

An obituary is supposed to say what a man was like and their work in life, and Al-Baghdadi was not a frothing at the mouth deranged lunatic, nor was Osama Bin Laden.

Tell that to Kayla.

And yes, he was a 'frothing at the mouth deranged lunatic'!

What the hell is wrong with you?

Deranged lunatics do not rise to positions of power and prominence.

*Bust out Laughing*

I guess you forgot this guy then?

LOL!

No, I'm quite aware of him.

If you knew anything about him you would also know he was neither deranged nor a lunatic. Though he has been characterised that way by popular historiography which if anything serves to mitigate the horrendous acts of the Third Reich. No longer is it a cautionary tale of the dangers of a modern, civilised nation being misled by a demagogue.

This is Earth, third planet out in the Sol system. What planet do you live on?

Oh this is where I'd so love to have a cuffy clip...

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: Gryphon66

Wayback Link.

Changed the url shortener. That one should work. Otherwise, this is the full link:

"h t t p s://web.archive.org/web/20191027151235/h t t p s://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-islamic-states-terrorist-in-chief-dies-at-48/2019/10/27/0d004abc-663d-11e7-8eb5-cbccc 2e7bfbf_story.html"

Seems to be reverting to the edited one, strange.
You can get it if you click on the Go button in the url tab from w WB machine.

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Some of the most callous azzholes in existence, were at the World Series game on Sunday night. Boo'ing and chanting "lock him up" to a President who's making the world safer, and the USA more prosperous.

Source: www.inquisitr.com...

Humankind would be better off without these people walking the Earth.

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

this dog loving vegitarian painter committed suicide to escape home invasion by armed immigrants .

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 04:57 AM
link   

So you think 'Morally strict religious scholar' is a good description, that is how he should be described? Honest question.
edit on 28-10-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 05:12 AM
link   

the problem is that "austere religious scholar "

CAN

be viewed as a compliment too

thats the problem when a word has multiple valid definitions

" derranged cultist cockwomble "

my epitaph for him - leves no doubt or ambiguity

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

He's just a scholar who fought for what he believed in. Kind of a hero if you think about it.

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

one mans hero = another mans ................

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join