It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Christians Choose To Ignore The Bible ?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

How is it possible for her to ignore the texts she doesn’t agree with her interpretation, unless the texts contradict themselves?!?!?

I bet Martin Luther wishes he NEVER hung that letter for exactly that reason lol..

Once everyone started interpreting the Bible themselves, people started using it to justify EVERYTHING evil they did..

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: Boadicea

How is it possible for her to ignore the texts she doesn’t agree with her interpretation, unless the texts contradict themselves?!?!?

Easy peasy... It doesn't matter if God does condemn homosexuality; God also condemns the rest of us judging or condemning or seeking vengeance... no contradiction, but definitely ignoring pertinent texts.

I bet Martin Luther wishes he NEVER hung that letter for exactly that reason lol..

Once everyone started interpreting the Bible themselves, people started using it to justify EVERYTHING evil they did..

Of course. Someone will exploit, extort, or otherwise taint anything and everything.

But the alternative -- letting one or some interpret the Bible for all -- is even worse. Then no one has a chance.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: Sheye

From that point, where you acknowledge there is know wat to know whss AS t biblical texts are accurate and which are not.....

Why would you believe the supernatural parts?!?!

hmm.. 🤔.. sorry, but that didn’t make sense to me. Care to rephrase it ?

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

IF I remember correctly, the rest of that passage states... "what you've done to the least of these, you've done to me"

Many of those that preach and do good deeds do so for their own well being... ignoring the fact that things should be done for others and not for the self...

simply put... Most Christians do not actually read what is in the bible... they go to church, listen to their pastor or priest... and take it from there regardless of IF what said preacher said is biblically true or not...

the trinity is a perfect example... Not in the bible... There is no triune God in said book anywhere

yet %95 of Christians are trinitarian...

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Please disregard this post

edit on 1-11-2019 by dffrntkndfnml because: Changed my mind, wrong thread

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

Speak your mind my friend....

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

You are wrong you know.

Only the son has seen the father, not even the angels in heaven have seen the father only the son.

Who see's the son see's the father, who accepts the son accept's the father.

The father is in the son and the son is in the father.

In the beginning was God and with God was the word and the word WAS/IS God.

www.blueletterbible.org...
aleteia.org...
www.ncregister.com...

Now I put it too you that the Jews of Today are NOT Practicing the religion of the Jews of the distant past, both from before the exile to Babylon AND from before the expulsion from Judea by the Roman's, in the intervening near two millennium many new writing's by influential Rabbi and reinterpretations have entered, today the Rabbi's will debate each and every word though the Jewish faith does still have book's and texts that were either not included or became apocryphal to the Christian faith that grew out of it.

Sometime's lost book's show up in unlikely places though such as the Qumran scroll's (which may be distinct variations rather than standard book's of there period aimed more at the Essene sect whom had there own scriptorium), the Nag Hammadi, several others and even the Ethiopian Orthodox Church whom may have begun as a Jewish Diaspora into Africa predating the roman expulsion, a possible fact given credence by the Ethiopian Jewish community, the Traditional Jewish sacrificial alters on the island of elephantine on lake Tana and also genetic evidence showing Jewish male ancestry in many Ethiopian's of both the Ethiopian Jewry and the Ethiopian orthodox Christian community's that therefore Grew out of them.

Every now and then a rare find is made such as first century fragments of the gospel of St John or earlier fragment's of Jewish Scriptures.

As to the holy trinity, the father is of course GOD, he work's through his Son and is in His son as his son is in HIM and the son send's the comforter the holy spirit with him in it as it comes from him.
We can not COME to the father except by the SON.
And no one has SEEN the father except the SON, not even the angels' in Heaven only the Son, only Jesus and who whom see's the son see's the father, his face is the face of the father because it reflects his father and is in his fathers face as his fathers face is in his face.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

You are wrong you know.

no... im not

Gifts and power were given to him from the Father... and he attributed all his work to Him...

the trinity is a lie.. unfortunately theres nothing I can say that would convince a trinitarian... not even scripture

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Thanks for enquiring brother.

My first impression was to ask you about your opinion on the relationship between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. At this point, what is your understanding?

These questions arising as a reaction to your bringing up the issue of the Trinity. I thought it would be more interesting to hear your perspective on that rather then start a debate in this thread.

I feel we may have gone back and forth about the Trinity elsewhere before, but I don't recall asking you about your perspective on the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I may have been dreaming.

A couple of years ago Blue_Jay33 expressed himself in a thread of mine about the topic, too. I respect his perspective, and don't want to put a damper on his thread.

My second thought, was it may be better to post something in my own thread or respond to someone asking about the Trinity in one of DeathSlayer's.

I usually hope for a sharing a deeper understanding with the others in spirituality, however I am under the impression the idea of the Triune God can create unnecessary division amongst the faithful. This feeling makes me question the value in trying to discuss it online.

That's why I edited my other post.

I hope you have a great day

edit on 2-11-2019 by dffrntkndfnml because: Grammar

edit on 2-11-2019 by dffrntkndfnml because: x2

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 03:14 AM
link   

this particular topic is Very in depth, thus it would derail this thread

It was only an example of "why people ignore the bible"... They're preached too... but don't read said book

When it comes to the trinity, people are fed a conclusion without looking over the information related to it...

A full answer to your question would take pages... and I tend to not involve myself in religious discussion these days.

Though I have plenty of threads covering this and many other topics related... IF you care to dig a bit

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   

A couple of years ago Blue_Jay33 expressed himself in a thread of mine about the topic, too. I respect his perspective, and don't want to put a damper on his thread.

Did you know four presidents of the United States were Unitarians: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Millard Fillmore, and William Howard Taft.

Eleven Nobel prizes have been awarded to Unitarians: Robert Millikan and John Bardeen (twice) in Physics; Emily Green Balch, Albert Schweitzer, and Linus Pauling for Peace; George Wald and David H. Hubel in Medicine; Linus Pauling in Chemistry; and Herbert A. Simon in Economics.

Sir Isaac Newton was also Unitarian.
Lancelot Ware, founder of Mensa, was also a Unitarian.

Clearly a deeper examination devoid of the emotional attachment to the doctrine should take place for many Christians, what does the bible really teach on this subject.

Many bible students of the 17th to early 20th century discovered something else than what the clergy taught, and if they were wrong on purgatory......what else might they be wrong on too ?

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Or we ignore the bible for our own benefit. You know because its complete hogwash.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join