It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man looks to Florida's massive iguana population for exotic meat company, and business is booming

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Wall of Voo Doo Mexican Radio is just awesome... In a way like Blinded Me With Science is awesome...

So different from everything, weird and funk-kay

I love that song... it was the BBQ Iggy line that did it..

edit on 27-10-2019 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

Only Lizard people eat lizard!

wiki
Iguana (/ɪˈɡwɑːnə/, Spanish: [iˈɣwana]) is a genus of herbivorous lizards that are native to tropical areas of Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. ... The word "iguana" is derived from the original Taino name for the species, iwana

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

A friend of mine tried some the other day.

He said it was pretty good. Somewhere between chicken and something else.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Only Lizard people eat lizard!

wiki
Iguana (/ɪˈɡwɑːnə/, Spanish: [iˈɣwana]) is a genus of herbivorous lizards that are native to tropical areas of Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. ... The word "iguana" is derived from the original Taino name for the species, iwana
Are you saying I'll turn into a lizard if I try it? Is the burrito better than the taco? These are important questions.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'd be game to try this stuff.

Honestly, I'm game to try most foods. This past week we tried a little hole in the wall place here that does a variety of different po-boy sandwiches and their rotating weekly special was skate wing po-boy. I'd never had it, so I got it ... and OMG, GOOD!

They'd cooked it perfectly. It was super tender, and skate has a different texture than most fish. It was more like a pulled pork stringy than fish flaky, but in a really good way. As I said, super tender! Then they put a whiskey sauce on it that was to die for!

The only time I have issue with alternative food is when some bureaucrat comes along and says I have to eat it and like it because they're telling me to for some reason. Like the new insect as future food craze.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Because its one of about 5 invasive species in the state that are pushing out native species, causing problems with the environment.

I hope the company is a HUGE hit and they are exterminated with a quickness.

ETA: If people (in general) would stop being stupid and buying exotic species with no clue what they are like as adults and then just releasing them rather than disposing of them properly this business wouldn't be viable.
edit on 27-10-2019 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
To be honest, humans have wiped out big % of the animals already.

But animals also wipe other animals. If the iguanas were to wipe out every other animal there, well, they would have made it there one way or another >.> At the end is just nature in work. Who we are to judge (shrugs).

But as human psychology goes : If something is different and may hurt us, better wipe it out.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

or you can kill all the native species, like we usually do.

Doesnt make a difference , at the end we wipe out one specie because we have different ideals.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

99.9% of all the species on the planet have gone extinct and most of them had nothing to do with people.

Yellow stone, when wolves were reintroduced the overall health of the area improved, that is what I am talking about when it comes to damaging the environment.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

exactly.

If iguanas wipe out the native animals its just natural selection.

And if the natural selection damages the environment then.. well, its what it is. But if the changes to the enviroment hurts humans, then suddenly all vermins have to die.

I would have prefered if Australia was run by rats by now. Billion and billion of sweet cute rats.
edit on 27-10-2019 by ZeroFurrbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
More power to them. Wonder if they've got any plans for python burgers while they're at it? (no, didn't read the article yet)

originally posted by: paraphi
Give it five years and iguanas will be on the endangered list. Why not leave them be instead of turning them into the latest fad-food?

Because like the pythons, they're invasive AF in FL and doing a number on the ACTUAL native wildlife. I.E definitely not native to FL, and definitely not endangered there.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: ketsuko

Alligator is very much like pork in taste, texture and color imo.

I'm down for some iguana.

What?

If it's done right, gator tail is supposed to taste like (and resemble the texture of) chicken, not pork...

Edit: Although I've heard it compared to rabbit, which while I haven't had it, is renowned to taste akin to very lean chicken. So yeah, still Foghorn Leghorn in flavor, not Porky Pig.
edit on 10/27/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroFurrbone

So I am going to guess English is not your native language and you are having trouble grasping what an invasive species is...

It is not natural selection, since they are not native to the area.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It is invasive because it has never been in there before.

But now it is.

Even in the past animals have moved from one place in another.

Invasive specie is just the same btu to extreme measures.

its natural selection but in a more broad sence.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
If a bat from Asia comes to South america and kills certain bugs that are food to certain birts and etc etc etc and wipe out half the aniaml specie then that is an invasive specie, yes

but those bats could have made it on their own. it is still nature even if we don't like it.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroFurrbone

It is invasive because it has never been in there before.

But now it is.

Even in the past animals have moved from one place in another.

Invasive specie is just the same btu to extreme measures.

its natural selection but in a more broad sence.

You've got to be a troll. Nobody is this blasé in understanding the detrimental impacts of humans introducing pest species coming full circle and biting you in the ass.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I'm still waiting to see someone come up with some good recipes for nutria.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

All i am saying that even if we as humans didnt fk up nature, those species would have got there on their own someday somehow.

And it would be still the same.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroFurrbone
a reply to: Nyiah

All i am saying that even if we as humans didnt fk up nature, those species would have got there on their own someday somehow.

And it would be still the same.

Also, there is no alternate universe where it didn't happen. Just this one. So regardless who is to blame, we just have to move forward with the way things are. It's not always bad. Los Angeles now has large flocks of non-indigenous parrots and except for being noisy I haven't heard where they're causing any problems. Haven't seen any good parrot recipes.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
"Pollo de los árboles" they call them in parts of Mexico.
"Chicken of the trees."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join