It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A thought on Disclosure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I was reading a sociology book the other day, one that focused on social change and what it meant and how it occurs and can be traced and what not. It got into how some cultures are less accepting of change and the like, and it made me think of, say, how many amerindian tribes were socially and culturally 'destroyed' by contact with european culture. Not simply that they were destroyed because of rapacious habits of the invaders, but because of actual cultural contact. To the point that even today there are an array of psychological problems that, if not particular to some reservations, are more common on reservations and amoung amerindians, or at least that a psychologist operating in that culture can expect a different ratio of psychological issues than in 'mainstream' american culture.

So what would happen to human culture in general, if it were exposed/contacted/aware of, say, advanced alien culture? And not just merely techonologically advanced, but truly alien/foreign, as different to man's culture as many amerindian cultures were to the various contact european cultures? Is it possible that human psyches around the world will be drastically and detrimentally effected by this, even across generations? That society and cutlure, while perhaps not dropping into 'global hysteria' (the usual 'justificiation' for nondisclosure), can be horribly and irrevocably effected?

I'd think that that might justify non-disclosure. I'd certainly like to know if there are aliens and what not, but, in that light, it'd be horribly irresponsible to force contact like that.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Read the advice of the "Brookings Report" (google it). It was an official government report on this very thing, and it's conclusion was to not tell the people, but disclose it slowly...

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
REALLY Alien Contact

I’d certainly feel that we, as humans, have a desperate need to retain our cultural history. And keep it un-tainted from other cultures. Alas, we are not a compassionate race, and at this point, few cultures exist today that have not been compromised.

So one could further theorize that we are somewhat de-sensitized about loosing our cultural history.

Please do not mis-understand this statement. I would certainly agree that American Indians are much less de-sensitized about this then say, I am. However, this type of cultural compromise has been going on for thousands of years.

There is one culture that has yet to really see a true test of mettle, and that would be human race culture. IE: we are of this earth; we belong to the earth culture. Sorry, I can’t seem to put this into the proper word format.

I’m inclined to believe that if our entire race were to suddenly loose cultural things that we all have in common, the resulting stress would be fairly horrific.

The best example I can think of is something fictional. Ursula K. Le Guin wrote a book, some 15? Years ago, called “The Left Hand of Darkness”. Excerpt from an online source:

“Genly Ai is an emissary from the human galaxy to Winter, a lost, stray world. His mission is to bring the planet back into the fold of an evolving galactic civilization, but to do so he must bridge the gulf between his own culture and prejudices and those that he encounters. On a planet where people are of no gender--or both--this is a broad gulf indeed.”

I would certainly say that something so simple as a completely different gender culture would greatly compromise the believe humanity has in the differences between men and women. And that’s just ONE possibility out of millions.

-VW

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well, as a fact the White Man took great liberties in trying to further the destruction of Native Americans by warring with the tribes and killing not just men but women and children as well. I think it has less to do with contact and more to do with the perceptions of the White Man in realtion to the Indian culture. I would think that Alien cultures are more advanced in their thinking than to willingly commit planetary genocide.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reptilian_Queen
Well, as a fact the White Man took great liberties in trying to further the destruction of Native Americans by warring with the tribes and killing not just men but women and children as well. I think it has less to do with contact and more to do with the perceptions of the White Man in realtion to the Indian culture. I would think that Alien cultures are more advanced in their thinking than to willingly commit planetary genocide.

Not so fast...remember, the white men originally thought the native americans as no more than savage animals when they first came. Extermination was the only way to advance civilization in thier eyes at the time. If the aliens truly are as advanced as some say, who's to say they would feel no less about us humans today?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
Not so fast...remember, the white men originally thought the native americans as no more than savage animals when they first came. Extermination was the only way to advance civilization in thier eyes at the time. If the aliens truly are as advanced as some say, who's to say they would feel no less about us humans today?

But then again who's to say they don't cherish the gift of life alot more than early man? I'm betting alot of their races have been around alot longer than ours.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Reptilian_Queen]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake

But then again who's to say they don't cherish the gift of life alot more than early man? I'm betting alot of their races have been around alot longer than ours.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Reptilian_Queen]

I understand your point, but all I can do is try and compare apples to apples...Meaning that I only have the history of mankind as a model for intellegent beings progress throught it's eveloution. As man has progressed, he has gained more knowledge, and greater tech, but not necessarily greater intellect and understanding. We have not learned from our past regarding violence, war, and the need to co-habit with others. So, if we use humans as a model, then we can't necessarily say that aliens have also progressed to a state where life and well being is more important than advancing control and power.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think that's what most of our problem is. We are too embroiled in the human thought process.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I think that's what most of our problem is. We are too embroiled in the human thought process.

True, but until we capture an alien, drug him up and make him spill the beans, all we really have to go on is the human thought process. But as with most things in life, anything is possible...and as with most theories on aliens and thier agenda, the same goes

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
How do we know the military hasn't already been doing that?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
We don't for sure...And if they did in fact catch one and glean info from it, we'd never hear about it.

new topics

top topics

join