It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reducing URL Length and Image Size

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
You may have noticed how on some threads the text stretches off to the right of your screen and you have to scroll across to read every line. This is caused by long URLs (web addresses) that extend beyond your screen width. Like this one. This can make reading a thread quite laborious, and if it's YOUR thread, you might be losing otherwise interested readers/contributors. If it's NOT your thread, you will still be making it a chore to read for everyone else.

A simple solution to this is to take an extra 5 seconds to use a free URL shortening service.These are very easy to use, online services that will take a long url and give you a much shorter one that directs to exactly the same webpage. You can find a thousand of these services simply by googling "shorten url". You'll find one of the more popular ones here.

Go to any one of these sites and you will see a text input box with a button next to it something like this:

Simply copy and paste the URL you wish to shorten into the text box, press the button and you will be taken to a page which gives you a new, shortened URL. Copy and paste the new URL into your post and your done.

Sometimes a large image will also play havoc with the formatting of a page. Images wider than 500 pixels (px) should probably be resized. It's polite and makes viewing the image easier. If you're not sure how large an image is, right click it and select "properties" and you should see the width and height displayed in pixels. Don't worry, you don't need fancy image editing programs to resize you image, you can do it with BB Code. Here's how it's done:

Usually to post an image, you place the tags (using square brackets [ ] ) around the URL of the image. To resize the image, simply type "=400x400" (or whatever size you want) without quotation marks in front of the first "img" tag, like this:

The second BB code will resize the image to 50 pixels wide by 50 pixels high.

So I can resize this 450x338 image:

..to this (225x169)...
external image

...or this (113x85).
external image

Just remember that if you take the extra time to do this, you'll be making threads more pleasant to read for all of us and maybe even saving the moderators some extra work.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Or....would it not be easy to just use the hyperlink option and just turn the link into 1-2 words, instead of posting the entire link?

Or am I wrong, and mis-reading?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Right. Don't forget about the [ url ] [ /url ] tags. The transformation is incredible. You can go from the world's longest link

have you seen this movie www.masterandcommanderthefarsideoftheworld.com... in the theaters?

to a simple link

Have you seen this movie in the theaters?

Read the thread titled Can you please explain the BB code to me? for full details.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by dbates]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Uh-duuh. Forgot about that.

Got so wrapped up in trying to be helpful. Cheers.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

You have voted wecomeinpeace for the Way Above Top Secret award.

I always try to use the [url=] [/ur] code for links. It is just so much neater and easier to read.
I voted for you, though, for the idea of resizing pics. I know large/huge images can sometimes be a real problem, worse than the long links. Now people have a chance to easily--I hope--resize, instead of having to use a link, which is certainly far less effective than an image.

new topics

top topics

join