It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The root and metaphysics of consciousness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If you are not familiar with the problem of consciousness many philosophical materialist believe substance or material in reality is all there is. For a philosophical materialist there is no such thing as consciousness or soul. Your brain is like a computer made up of only material in the "real" world. Some philosophical materialist deny consciousness even exists at all.

The philosophical materialists claim our conscious thoughts we have in our heads are pure delusion. This is really not a simple problem. Take human memory for example. Nobody has ever explained how animal memory actually works. When you look at the pieces of the brain it does not appear to have functional elements like a computer. It seems like different parts do have some primary functions but all the parts are used all the time.

For me, personal, in terms of consciousness when I experience reality it feels so real. I feel like my experience of reality is much deeper than the abstract language I used to represent my experience. Counter to the philosophical materialist some people have argued our brain is not a computer like metaphor but more like an analog radio receiver. Each brain is like a unique fingerprint where the signals we receive, that is our thoughts and memory, are keyed to our own brain's fingerprint.

I found this video on mapping patterns of thought in string theory to elements commonly used to describe consciousness in Hindu religions. This idea that our brains and consciousness are deeply related to structures and processes in the deepest parts of theoretical physics is interesting to me. Maybe in order to have real consciousness or real conscious experience an animal has to be connected to the deepest parts of existence in order to experience existence.

It's very difficult to prove the conjecture talked about in the video. But as I've said consciousness is not a simple problem. My intuition is we do have soul and our consciousness is deeply connected to the fabric of reality as we experience it. My other intuition is words and abstraction are not going to capture what is actually going on here because of the analog nature of the energy waves involved. Whatever it is that is the driving force behind the way reality operates does not map well to words or mathematical representations.

You can be the judge. Here's the video. I may have to watch a few times. I only watched it once. The material is not exactly light reading.

People in the video are strangely giggling at the strangest things. I found the giggling to be a bit of a distraction because I felt I was missing the joke. But it's still a very interesting idea to map consciousness to a Grand Unified Field theory.

Here's another video I recently watched on the idea everything is connected. In the video the author mentioned there's one atom of iron in the center of the hemoglobin molecule. This got me thinking maybe our consciousness is like a magnetic field as the blood rushing around in our minds is creating a magnetic field. There is a ton of videos on the electromagnetic nature of the brain. I haven't found anything really profound yet.

Electromagnetic theories of Consciousness

Here's the video on everything is connected and iron in the center of the hemoglobin molecule:

Why are Asians so freaking smart! Anyway, I don't think the author does the best job in convincing us everything is connected but it's still a very interesting video.

edit on 26-10-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Why are Asians so freaking smart!

I think it's because there are so many of them and competition is more natural than the lazy west which lost the plot centuries ago.

I hate having a brain sometimes and wish I WAS just following a program.
edit on 26/10/2019 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The map of the spectrum of human consciousness has been worked out mathematically, using a recently discovered structure implicate in the Kabbalistic Tree of Life (Etz Hayim, עץ חיים), which is regarded by Kabbalists as a representation of Adam Kadmon, the cosmic prototype, or Divine Man.
The derivation makes use of a discovered isomorphism between overlapping Trees of Life and regular polygons whose sectors are Pythagorean tetractyses. It turns out that the mathematical nature of the spiritual cosmos is expressed in terms of a template, which serves as both the building block of holistic systems possessing "sacred geometry" and a kind of Rosetta Stone that deciphers information embodied in these systems as numbers (and patterns of numbers) of scientific significance. What has emerged is a rigorous way of recognising when a system is holistic (i.e., when it can be identified as a realisation of the divine blueprint expressed in the Tree of Life and certain sacred geometries of various religions).
The Tree of Life known to Kabbalists has been discovered to be but its outer form. The true Tree of Life has a hitherto unknown structure that complements it. This is its DNA, so to speak, because it encodes the self-replication of the outer form to map all possible levels of consciousness. All scientific models of consciousness are hopelessly inadequate a priori because the materialist presuppositions of science do not permit a truly fundamental theory of consciousness to exist that does not start with the false assumption that consciousness is either electromagnetic, some kind of universal field of energy or a quantum epiphenomenon. To understand consciousness, you must:
1. stop treating it as a reducible object that is due to processes between distinct undefined parts. This already begs the question that matter and mind are really the same. They are not. Consciousnes is neither a "thing" nor an "effect."
2. stop thinking that consciousness is the end-product of material processes. The self-consciousness of human beings will appear to be merely this only as long as you continue to treat them as lab rats that respond in a robotic fashion to stimuli. You won't get anywhere if you want to know what brings about human creativity, altruism and the feelings that composed Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.
The Tree of Life has been used to explain many varieties of human awareness. By mapping these different modes of being (what Jung called the four "psychic functions" of sensing, feeling, thinking and intuiting) and linking these to the Sephiroth of the Tree of Life, it is possible to map out in a mathematically rigorous way all possible modes of awareness (most are transpersonal, extending into Jung's fifth psychic function and beyond). This is because, just as DNA encodes all possible combinations of codons for synthesis of proteins, so the recently discovered "inner form" of the Tree of Life encodes all possible replications of itself (there are 91). This is isomorphic to the the polygonal composition of the dicovered "inner form" of the Tree of Life. It enables the complete spectrum of human consciousness (ego-centred and transpersonal) to be deduced and related to Eastern religious ideas, as well as to what has been discovered in particle physics, which is simply the study of the manifestation of the Tree of Life blueprint in the subatomic world. Superstring theory (10-d space-time) emerges from this more-inclusive, mathematical scheme that describes truly absolutely everything. In other words, this theory of matter can actually be derived from a 'meta-mathematical' scheme that applies to all holistic systems, where it is an electron or the very spiritual cosmos itself. The implication is all the so-called "parts" of the physical universe - electrons, DNA molecules, humans, etc - are not isolated, unrelated phenomena but ANALOGOUS expressions of the same, universal consciousness, which cannot be decomposed into identifable parts or causes because it is holistic; there is but one consciousness that transforms itself at every level and scale in analogous ways according to the same universal, mathematical pattern - one that has now been identified.
edit on 26-10-2019 by micpsi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Sometimes when I'm playing guitar and/or writing music it comes out so easily and feels so good/right that i definitely feel like I'm just a channel or receiver for something much more than just "me".
At other times I will try to play and the guitar just feels "dead" in my hands.
This also happens when I'm drawing or when I'm attemptingany kind of creative activity, even conversation can feel inspired at times.
It's something I've always wished I could tap into at will but unfortunately its like my "receiver" is either on or off, beyond my concious control.
But yes, it does certainly does feel like it's something much larger than myself, Im receiving something like a pure creative energy from outside myself that i then filter through my own unique expressive abilities.
I find the outcome is always infinitely better than anything I try to create on my own.
It's always easier to tell when listening to others music what was written when they were "channeling(inspired)" and what wasn't.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: micpsi

This is absolutely the best post I have ever read here at ATS in my long time being here.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Once I accepted I was part of something I had no DIRECT control over something that was infinate , I started to enjoy the journey more.

The thing I don't enjoy is having to leave so many by the wayside and not be able to show them more light. Frustration beyond belief.

I am not religious but I remind myself of the first few lines of the "Serenity Prayer":

God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.

serenity prayer

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Osirisvset
Sometimes when I'm playing guitar and/or writing music it comes out so easily and feels so good/right that i definitely feel like I'm just a channel or receiver for something much more than just "me".
At other times I will try to play and the guitar just feels "dead" in my hands.
This also happens when I'm drawing or when I'm attemptingany kind of creative activity, even conversation can feel inspired at times.
It's something I've always wished I could tap into at will but unfortunately its like my "receiver" is either on or off, beyond my concious control.
But yes, it does certainly does feel like it's something much larger than myself, Im receiving something like a pure creative energy from outside myself that i then filter through my own unique expressive abilities.
I find the outcome is always infinitely better than anything I try to create on my own.
It's always easier to tell when listening to others music what was written when they were "channeling(inspired)" and what wasn't.

Osirisvset, while you are 'recieving' when you are playing the guitar or are being creative in another way, you are either being intuitive or you are channeling from the astral plane/astral world. For you to tell which one you are doing, pay attention to your thoughts, If you are anylizing your thoughts, thinking this or that is good or bad or positive or negative you are channeling from the astral plane/astral world, if you are not doing that, you are being intuitive.

top topics

join