It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we matter

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   
If theres not a soul why do we matter? Because we die we will eventually be extinct. Everything around us will be rubbel one day even the planet its self will be gone it may be in the distant future but when the day comes it will seem like the blink of the eye . So certain like it's already happened, That time already exists .

Thinking deep today I guess.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

It just is.
No need for any reason or purpose for me except to enjoy however much time I have as I perceive it in my thoughts.
I've passed my DNA on as a parent, no dependents to be responsible for anymore so I see no other purpose to my life now aside from enjoying my own and helping others enjoy theirs where I can ❤️

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

You know the stories of the Big Bang? How it happened so long ago and now we are billions and billions of years later?
And you know those stories about Black Holes and how when you get close to the Event Horizon, when everything slows down so that from the outside it appears that anything that enters it has stopped moving?

What if we put those two notions together so that what we perceive as the Big Bang being all that time ago is really just a perception and that in reality we are still deep in the Event Horizon of that event and still taking part in the Big Bang as it is going on right now?

Edit. I've posted this video a number of times in threads like this but here I will again because lately when thinking in the circles as your post and my reply get to, this little song just helps me make things simplier again.

edit on 31America/ChicagoFri, 25 Oct 2019 15:10:57 -0500Fri, 25 Oct 2019 15:10:57 -050019102019-10-25T15:10:57-05:00300000010 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It's a great question and one I've been thinking about most of my life. I'm now 62.

So, just my unscientific and unproven thoughts...

Our soul has to go somewhere. When you die, you achieve a new level of consciousness and you become part of a whole - a collective but still independent. If, at that point, you can still look back at your life, it will seem insignificant. In your new existence, you'll have a bigger purpose. Maybe one of carrying on the universe or things we just can't even imagine.

Speaking of the universe - you know how the scale of things affects time? What I mean is, if you're the size of an ant, the larger things moving around you do so very slowly. That's why it's hard to catch a fly. Now, imagine being the size planet earth against the scale of the universe. What if, the big bang was the "birth" of a being? What we know as the raw materials in the universe are the microscopic bits that make up a body. That body is growing and that's why we see the universe expanding.

I could go on but not sure it would interesting. The beauty of it is that we can imagine anything. And we can imagine it all differently.

Fun topic 👍

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
What is your definition of a soul?

www.youtube.com...

edit on 25-10-2019 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2019 by PhilbertDezineck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I think we have a soul, though I'm unsure of what happens to it when our physical form comes to an end.

But regardless of the answer, I think the time here is beautiful because we know it is finite (in it's form at least).

Even on a rough day in a hard week... Something as simple as the perfect song coming on with a nice breeze and mild temperature can be enough to make the moment magical. Seeing the leafs change color and feeling the brisk clean air.... We could go on and on. The human experience is filled with ups and downs, beauty and evil. It's the contrast that makes us appreciate the more pleasant moments though.

However you decide to spend life, I think you leave a legacy of sorts through the butterfly effect. Your interactions and your thoughts trigger ramification unknown to you to help shape the world we live in.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

"If there's not a soul.."

I'm not religious but that's a pretty big "if" in my book. I tend to believe there is a part of us, maybe even the most "real" aspect of us, that continues on in some way after our physical bodies die. If so, it probably existed long before my physical form came into being. I'm also open to the possibility that my soul, or whatever, is just one piece of a larger whole. Who friggin knows, though?

Ok, with that out of the way, I think we *can* matter, insofar as how we effect the lives and experiences of others.
Will it really "matter" in the grand scheme of things? Maybe so, maybe not.
I do know, though, that, for that person, it can matter very much. One small action from me can positively or negatively effect the experience of someone else for a single moment or for years after. I think that's good enough for me.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck
Any part of us that exists after death and still knows who you are.

edit on 10/25/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Why should anything matter ?

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
Any part of us that exists after death and still knows who you are.

Do you have any proof that any of us exists after death or is this your opinion?

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I believe our purpose in this life is to develop a soul that is uniquely our own and that will survive the death of the physical body.

If we do not develop this soul or real self before death, that part of us is "recycled", or reincarnated, with no remembrance of the past self/personality.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The way I see it, theirs only 2 ways it can go. Either we do matter and theirs something more significant out there, in which case we'll find out about it when we die.

Or, their is no actual purpose to life and our lives have no real significance whatsoever... In which case, it'll just be absolute lights out once we die, so none of us will know the difference anyway.
edit on 25-10-2019 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I said 'If we have no soul" That's not a claim .

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I said 'If we have no soul" That's not a claim .

Does all creatures with a mind, will, and emotion have soul?

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Your not getting it are you ...

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Your not getting it are you ...

I guess not your question was if we had or have a soul. My question was what is a soul where does it come from and do all creatures with a mind a will and emotions would they have a soul too? Is the soul tied only to humankind?

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I would say if we have a soul then every living thing would also have a soul its life after all .

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I would say if we have a soul then every living thing would also have a soul its life after all .

If we have a soul then all life has a soul. Does that include insects and microbes or just higher forms?

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
We matter to each other. The human mind is the only place in the universe where your fellow humans mean something more than whatever animals and smaller creatures on earth think of us when they encounter us.

We mean the same thing to the universe that any other biological life form does. Assuming it exists elsewhere.
edit on 25-10-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Anything that doesn't want to die I would say there are even plants that react to threats.

We are scared of death because we do not know that means we or they are conscious of dieing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join