It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the U.S.A. #1? Not so fast...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Macrento
"For my part, I would say that anyone who does not own a fairly substantial amount of income-producing property or does not receive an earned income sufficiently large to make substantial regular savings or does not hold a well-paid securely tenured job is poor. He may be healthy, handsome and a delight to his friends --but he is poor. By this standard at least 70 percent of Americans are certainly poor, although not all of these by any means are are destitute or poverty-stricken. But, as was shown in the 1930's, Americans can become destitute overnight if deprived of their jobs, a strong support to mindless conformity. As a matter of fact, many persons in rather well-paid jobs, even executives, from time to time find themselves jobless owing to job discontinuance by reason of mergers, technical innovation or plant removal. Unable to get new jobs, they suddenly discover, to their amazement, that they are really poor, and they also discover by harsh experience, to what specific conditions the word 'poverty' refers. And even many of those who never lose their jobs often discover in medical and similar emergencies that they are as helpless as wandering beggars. They are, in fact, poor. In such eventualities the man of property is evidently in a different position. He is definitely not poor. And this is all I say."
[edit on 10-3-2005 by Macrento]

Well, yup... pretty much sums it up! To expound... Read "Billions for the Bankers - Debts for the People, The Real Story of the Money Control Over America" by Sheldon Emry:

www.doublestandards.org...

It's a long read, still on topic, but related to what Macrento was saying.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
oh steggy, do not try to confuse the subject. Everyone knows that Republicans are the biggest supporters of a geocentric universe

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join