It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do cop shows increase the power of the man

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Most cops show I watch appears to push for the power of the government.

How many shows do you watch where the cops break a law to catch the ‘bad’ people? As you watch, you cheer the law breaking cops over the citizen.

Is it a plan, does it just make good TV, just a combination of both

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I don't watch many cop shows.

I have seen some episodes of COPS though, and that does a lot to expose the stupidity of humanity.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

How many shows do you watch where the cops break a law to catch the ‘bad’ people? As you watch, you cheer the law breaking cops over the citizen.

There is a great podcast that covers the rise of COPS the TV show and how it 100% increased the violence by cops toward the community and what the community considers except able..

I forget the name, but should be easy to find..

Like 8-10 hour series.. very indepth

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Usually due to editing it to make it worse, plus MANY officers are suspected of faking drug test results “for the camera “..

And cops never does a show to say it was not drugs later.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

I said nothing about drugs, did I?

People do stupid things, fight amongst themselves for stupid reason, get the cops called before any of that.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I don't watch TV because I decided that I don't want the type of crap shows like COPS in my life. I gave them my ultimate rejection by saying goodbye to that form of mind control entirely and got rid of TV.

a reply to: SocratesJohnson

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
99.9% of the time, the police are doing good for the community.

And the people crying the most and hating the police are usually up to no good.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

In some cases, yes. I think it is sophisticated authoritarian propaganda that manipulates the emotions and other soft spots of the viewer for the goal of furthering the power of the state.

It has to be acknowledged that media has tremendous power of persuasion even when the subject matter is 100% fictional. Cop shows are the tip of the iceberg on that though.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
99.9% of the time, the police are doing good for the community.

Yes. But well-meaning people can also be useful to not so well-meaning people. Obviously I do not believe the average cop on the street is trying to do anything more than make a living and protect his community. So no hate for cops here. Just looking at things realistically.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
We talkin COPS here or are we talkin Law & Order?

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Depends on the country.

Most American cop shows celebrate extrajudicial executions of the bad guys by the good guys.

Most British cop shows are intelligent and don't involve mass slaughter at the end. Often there is an arrest!

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I follow the police activity channel on YouTube , mostly bodycam video.

Guy with a knife : cops yell 60 times drop the knife dont come forward , 60!!!!! effing times.

Simple traffic stops , i lost track of how many times they reach for a firearm , or drive off with the cop attached to the car.

It is easy to hate on cops when you don't have take split second decisions.

They don't deserve to go home to their family ? when some one points a gun at them ?

Humans need law enforcement , because they can't behave it is as simple as that.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel
Humans need law enforcement , because they can't behave it is as simple as that.

Problem being that law enforcers are also humans. Humans can't behave?

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The podcast is called “running from cops”. Fyi

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I was pointing out some of the “stupidity of humanity “ is edited to look way stupider than the reality was.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

I suppose either is relevant to the discussion, since they're all cop shows.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The TV show producers and networks have been pushing law enforcement action/drama TV shows for a long time now. When I was a kid, cop shows and movies were cool. I liked Baretta, Columbo, Mod Squad, Streets of San Francisco, 5-0, even Dragnet for some reason (seems like comedy today).

I was just thinking the other day how most of the evening TV broadcast shows are either law enforcement or super heroes working outside the system. I'm into the original NCIS, but not much lately. I'm really getting tired of the same type cop shows all the time, I don't watch them and the networks lose me as a viewer.

I hope most people feel the way I do, and if they do then I can't understand why the TV networks keep pumping out cop shows. It does seem that there is a pro-cop type agenda that these TV shows are trying to support. Not sure who is behind it or why, but there is something going on in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

I was pointing out some of the “stupidity of humanity “ is edited to look way stupider than the reality was.

How many relatives do you have who are in that category?

I hate to own it, but my sister married into it. My brother-in-law's family lives on that edge. One of his brothers is a heavy drug user; the other, despite having pretty good mechanic skills, cannot manage to hold down a job and has a live-in girlfriend whose teenage boys come to frequent open blows (I mean real, knock-down, drag-out fights) with each other and anyone else they look cross-ways at. There's another cousin who has friends who are drug users who wants to invite over to my sister's place ... and it's a mess.

It's COPS level material for sure, and it's all my sister and brother-in-law can do to avoid really getting in the mud.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

They keep pumping them out because they found a formula that works and putting out anything new is a risk. It might fail. So until they take an actual risk with something new and it hits it big time, then you'll be seeing retreads of the same old stuff with a fresh coat of paint.

It's the same in the video game world too.

And once someone does break through with the fresh thing, everyone will start copying that and pretty soon it's all you'll see.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

I suppose either is relevant to the discussion, since they're all cop shows.

Well, it seems obvious that these entertainment products are intended to promote the idea that the proper authorities have everything under control.

edit on 10/24/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join