It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the worlds most advanced flight suit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The flying suit developed by DERA for the RAF Typhoon is supposed to be the best in the world allowing the pilot to maintain full funcionality at 60,000ft and pulling +9g.

I have done a search on the Raptor suit (as the obviouis candidate for a rival) and it does seem to lack the more advanced features in the DERA suit. Strangely the article says that it is exclusive to the UK Typhoon, I wonder why this would be?

RAF flight suit

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I remember watching a programme on tv about the Typhoon, it did indeed say that the flight suit was the best in the world, it didn't however talk about rival suits.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
In soviet in end of 80y. was maded the suit for the 12g, and have good work. Mig MFI most be have 12g. ... (one Dat. of the 5 gen.)

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Sorry if i'm mistaken, but could the flight suit be in direct correlation to the cockpit? For example, What if the cockpit was so sophisticated that a highly technical flight suit was no longer needed and the cockpit did everything for you that the suit did. Maybe the raptor has a top of the line life sustaining cockpit that replaces some of the features in the typhoons flight suit. Possibilities guys? Maybe its still classified, I dont know, just a guess.

Train

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

In soviet in end of 80y. was maded the suit for the 12g, and have good work. Mig MFI most be have 12g. ... (one Dat. of the 5 gen.)

No one can take more than 9 g's man, 12g's is suicide!

the MFI is a great plane, but man, 12g's is too much for the best to handle!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I know Thats why Iam did tolkin about that ..
(and in plus to do the aircraft for 12g not easy to )
they do technikal that can do 30s on 12g , of cours they do that not from 1 day ...
Fighter most be have the 12 g (maby more) , it was technical condition, new pilot seting with intime changed degree

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Fenix F 308]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fenix F 308
I am tolkin ? Thats why Iam did tolkin about that ..
(and in plus to do the aircraft for 12g not easy to )
they do technikal that can do 30s on 12g , of cours they do that not from 1 day ...

wuts the point of it being able to pull 12gs if no1 cud survive that?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xavierrouge

They can do 30seconds of 12g's, dangerous but could give you a slight edge in a dog fight.
I think thats what Fenix F 308 meant.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
BigTrain - No...The Raptor doesn't have "inertial dampeners".

The reason that the US isn't putting much money into newer high "G" flight suits is because the USAF future plans are to phase the pilot out.

Now your argument to that would be:there still going to have pilots for another 30 years!

then I respond with: True...But, the Aif Force relies on stealth and BVR combat, so there will be no need to "out turn the other guy".

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
hm i'd like to hear how they define "maintaining functionality" in regard to the crew. the "libelle" (german for dragonfly) suit, looks more promising in my opinion. it uses destilled water instead of the conventional pneumatic systems and is a completly self-contained system, no need for pneumatic valves and has already been tested, all test pilots were quite pleased.

Ledet said the G-forces were “more comfortable” in the Libelle. “Nine G’s in current suits hurts,” Ledet said. “You come out feeling beat up, pummeled. Not so with the Libelle.”
"We went up to 18,000 feet, hit the afterburner and started 9-g spirals until the guy in the backseat said uncle," Morrow remembers. "It was easier to breathe and easier to communicate" in the Libelle suit, Ledet confirms. "When I came back, I didn't feel like a wrung-out wet rag. With a regular G suit I can't even get out of the cockpit."

pilots were able to operate the craft normaly at 7G and had no problems with communications up to 9G, so i guess you can pull some more G's till you black out.

german article:
www.airpower.at...

english articles:
www.michaelbehar.com...
www.ngb.army.mil...

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Hannah]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Heresy! Only America has the best of EVERYTHING!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I remember the SR-71 flight suits were almost equivalent to those worn by astronauts on the Gemini/Mercury missions...

A trained pilot can take more than 9 Gs for short spurts of time...
Ejection G-level is i think 30 for 4 to 5 seconds..

How much do astronauts take on lift off??

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Astronauts under takeoff only experience a low G.
twice the G of a rollercoasterride or something.
Aprox 5, my guess is.

Pilots experience way harder G's...

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Also I believe that we are talking about sustained 9g turns for the Typhoon, not quick short bursts, as mentioned with some other aircraft.

As an aside to the comment about the Raptor relying more on BVR, it is true that both fighters are designed for BVR engagements but surely Lockheed wouldn't invest so heavily in making the Raptor agile if would never need to be? You don't put all your eggs in the BVR basket.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

Originally posted by Xavierrouge

They can do 30seconds of 12g's, dangerous but could give you a slight edge in a dog fight.
I think thats what Fenix F 308 meant.

Even at 30 seconds a pilot would NOT survive 12gs....
Normal humans tend to pass out at about 6Gs (5 times the normal gravitational force). Highly trained and fit personnel can withstand short bursts about 9Gs, but that is about the limit.
Injured or unconscious people do not make good command decisions and hence the planes crash!!!!!!

If Im wrong,Im sorry.
I hope someone here will correct me then.

top topics

join