It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jan 26 - 1986 - Space Shuttle Challenger Accident News Report

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

For real. They were so high in the air that debris was hitting 15 minutes after explosion.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Has anyone seen vids about the challenger astronauts still being alive conspiracy theory?

youtu.be...

Hoax?

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

It was one of those times where I'm sure everyone remembers exactly what they were doing. I was in the mailing department, stacking boxes and had just signed up for life insurance. I even remember what I was wearing that day. I left work and pretty much went to pieces. It still sucks to remember that day. Even now at 61 I still get weepy about it.

9/11, Challenger, Kennedy, Apollo 13, Reagan shooting. All of them do that to people. I know there's a name for this but I forget what it's called.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu
Has anyone seen vids about the challenger astronauts still being alive conspiracy theory?

youtu.be...

Hoax?

No, I'll check this out first thing in the morning, I'm about to be off for the day and I'm interested in seeing that.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

I was on my way to Odessa, TX from NW Louisiana and watched Columbia shoot through the sky like a meteorite not yet knowing what I was looking at... I saw a large green ball that looked like something shot out of a Roman Candle.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I believe Christa McAuliffe's family was there watching. That would be absolutely gut wrenching.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Don't quite remember when first heard of hit.
But read an interesting account of it, in a Dr. Wayne Dyer book. ( Don't remember which one. )

So his account, and the idea of my post, is for those whom like to think deeper, and are keen observers of themselves.

He wrote that he was preparing to give a public-speaking engagement, and when he did so, he usually isolated himself from the news, and media, for a period of time. ( Like 24-48 hours, not sure. )
You know: just to keep his mind clear of the noise.

But on this occasion: just as he was backstage, getting ready to go speak: somebody walked up to him and said something like this "Terrible thing about the shuttle blowing-up eh ? And on live TV, the teacher, all those students watching! "
Oh well: have a good speech " ( All paraphrased ).

Well: being a very sensitive person, he was stunned.
He had to gather himself back up, and go on stage, and give a motivational speech.

Well: beyond the story: the thought-experiment is:
Do traumatic events shake us, or is it only when we become conscious of them ?

Do we hurt when a loved-one is injured, or only when we find-out about it ?

Think about it: all of the horrible things happening to beautiful wonderful humans, right at this minute: rapes, beatings, murder; are we not oblivious ?

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I was working on a project to commercialize the Getaway Special (GaS) experimental canisters that we’re to fly aboard the Shuttle.

A lot of dreams died that day.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I'll never forget this. It's still like a punch in the gut every time I see/hear of it.

I was pregnant and my son was a toddler. I was very excited to watch the liftoff with him. So we watched. And we saw it happen live. At first, your mind tries to make sense of it, and you can't believe -- you don't want to believe -- the worst. And then the shock and horror when you realize it really is the worst. I cried and cried for them. I decided to take lunch to my hubby's shop, and the whole crew was pretty down about it. Not at all their usual loud and boisterous selves. My poor little guy didn't understand what happened, just that Mommy was sad.

The teacher's sister lived up the street from my parents. Her home -- the whole block -- was bombarded with media. I heard that neighbors formed a human chain for her to protect her from the press mob.

It was just horrible.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

What I remember is that I was home sick with the flu and watching the launch and explosion on TV after I received the one any only flu shot I have ever had in my life. That's right one and done. Fast forwarding to 1995, I was present when a co worker and professional Master diver showed me a letter he wrote and sent to NASA on their O Ring designs being deficient back in 1984. All of them. He showed his original letter to NASA and NASA's response prior to the shuttle disaster in 1986. He had both originals. Why did he do that? Because we were co workers an he was aware of my campaign on DOD fraud. We were also a supplier of SCBA units to NASA back then and they wrote back rejecting our O ring design. He was a Master Diver, Engineer and former Navy seal. He was livid. NASA lives on as lost in space. We also designed and engineered and produced a complete ling of life support equipment and SCBA for USA well before 1986 and continue to this day. His last name is like the Bends.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Where does Christa McAuliffe take vacation? All over Florida. What?!?!?! Too soon???

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I was in 4th grade, and I was home sick, which was rare for me. I remember being upset that I wasn't going to be watching it at school - we were going to have a TV rolled into the classroom to watch the space shuttle launch!

I was watching it on the console TV in the front room at home, and I was saying "all you can see is fire" just before it blew up. It was shocking, and I do recall having a terrible feeling and being very upset / crying. At that age, any teacher seems almost like its someone you know. As a kid, 90% of the adults you know are either family or teachers, so it hit real close to home.

By the time I was in my late teens, I grew suspicious. It was the only time I knew of that the shuttle launch was so well-publicized and broadcast everywhere. It seemed like a setup to push acceptance of the end of the shuttle program or something - whatever the motivation, it has always seemed like a setup to me, and still doesn't sit well.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Heyyyyy......
You and Waterglass were both sick, eh ?
Not suspicious at all...

Were you both also working at the WTC on 9/11, but somehow, mysteriously, not at work that day ?

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Great thread!

I was in the 5th grade. My teacher that year had put in an application to be the teacher astronaut. Anyway, I remember in the afternoon, the school principal came into our classroom, walked over to the teacher and whispered in her ear for a moment. They sort of whispered back and forth and then he left. When she turned around to face the class, she had tears in her eyes and she told us what happened. She choked up trying to get the words out. Strange, sad day.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I read recently that the astronauts were most likely alive until they hit the ground.

I've always wondered about that. But it seems like surely, they would have knocked unconscious with the explosion, or passed out from smoke inhalation or something. Why did your source think they would have been alive that long?

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I was 10 years old and like many,I watched it with my classmates in school. I remember we had a full week of activities leading up to that day. Learning about the space program. It's history. It's future.

Right after the shuttle exploded and we all realized what was happening, I have this vivid memory of staring at all of the space shuttle pictures our class had drawn that covered the wall nearest the TV. In the middle was a picture of Christa McAuliffe.
edit on 24-10-2019 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
I believe Christa McAuliffe's family was there watching. That would be absolutely gut wrenching.

Here is their reaction. Powerful stuff.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
I was 3 and remember my mom breaking out in tears when it exploded. It's actually my earliest life memory. Pretty sad really.

Went to visit my parents yesterday and asked my mom how well she remembered it. She said very well and that she was all torn up about it. The only other thing I can remember her talking about being torn up over like that is when she said she was in school and they announced over the loud speaker that JFK had been assassinated.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

People were so much better back then. Nowadays they would step aside and grab their phones to record the media mob. It's really a damn shame. A shuttle launch in 1986, ESPECIALLY one we all got to watch live, was a huge deal. I can see why so many people were distraught about it.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I've never thought about that. NASA knew they had issues, too, but continued with the launch anyways - IN COLD WEATHER.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join