It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jan 26 - 1986 - Space Shuttle Challenger Accident News Report

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Many of us will remember this event as it unfolded. In 1986 it was a very big deal. I'd just like to step away from politics for a moment and reflect a little on the tragedy, its effect on us, how it was reported, and how we reacted in the interviews...

I was 7 years old. At that age (and still today), I'd always dreamed of going to the moon and far beyond. This was a big deal because it was the first time we were sending a teacher into space, so everyone in school was talking about it. Events like this were far and few between and we didn't have any social media or CGI, so it was a something we all wanted to tune into. It struck most of us in the heart, whether it was because the majority of those around us were sad or because we were sad ourselves.

CNN recorded the event live and CNN Correspondent Tom Mintier narrated as the shuttled made its climb.

Journalism was so much different back then, nobody jumped to conclusions and we all waited for the next bit of evidence.

If you watch the teacher in the first video as he watched it live, he was the one who was supposed to go and ended up turning it down. In shock for a moment, he instantly gets sick. I can only imagine what he was feeling, first knowing it was supposed to be him, but second knowing a teacher just lost her life in front of everyone's eyes. The people who were interviewed were in shock as well.

I'm sure there are conspiracies out there about this but I haven't looked for any.

If you're old enough to remember this, what do you remember and how did it effect your thoughts on getting to space?

ETA: The teacher in the video was the semifinalist, not the one who refused. My bad.
edit on 23-10-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I was 3 and remember my mom breaking out in tears when it exploded. It's actually my earliest life memory. Pretty sad really.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I was a freshman in high school when this happened.
Little did I know I saw five (seven duh) people murdered by bureaucracy.

But as a kid, I still remember the nasa jokes...
edit on 23-10-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I was working inside a boiler at a dairy when a guy arrived with parts that we needed. He said, "Hey, the space shuttle just blew up". I was 23 years old.
edit on b000000312019-10-23T15:07:54-05:0003America/ChicagoWed, 23 Oct 2019 15:07:54 -0500300000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I was a freshman in high school when this happened.
Little did I know I saw five people murdered by bureaucracy.

But as a kid, I still remember the nasa jokes...

There were seven of them killed.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Huh,,,,I knew that... Wonder why I typed five?

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
I was 3 and remember my mom breaking out in tears when it exploded. It's actually my earliest life memory. Pretty sad really.

I don't remember exactly how I felt, but I remember everyone else being sad which probably made me sad, too. My mom was a worry-wart when I was a kid, she probably said something along the lines of "You see? This is why you don't need to be an astronaut, because you'll blow up on your way to space." She would also tell me things like a bear might eat me if I went into the woods without her permission, or that I would get kidnapped if I rode my bike too far without her permission, or get sucked into the escalator if my shoes were untied. Bless her heart. If she only knew I tested all of her theories except the shoes untied one because I didn't want my laces getting dragged under.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I was in elementary school when this happened. They showed it during school. It was horrible. I read recently that the astronauts were most likely alive until they hit the ground.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

This is why you don't need to be an astronaut, because you'll blow up on your way to space." She would also tell me things like a bear might eat me if I went into the woods without her permission, or that I would get kidnapped if I rode my bike too far without her permission, or get sucked into the escalator if my shoes were untied. Bless her heart.

This reminded me of my parents always telling me to not go too far because Horny Jim might get me. When I was really little, I always pictured a guy with horns all over him but thought they were joking. Once I grew up a little, I realized the satire behind it. Sorry was off-topic, but you made me think of an old funny childhood memory.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yeah I found it kinda ironic that you said five and mentioned remembering the NASA jokes considering the main one at the time was NASA stands for, needs another seven astronauts ...

Jaden
edit on 23-10-2019 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Hey yeah, I heard the same thing! I wonder if that was true or not.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Ha, that's one of em...

I must have been distracted

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I remember it like yesterday. The scene on the video could have been my class.
I remember the squeaky tv stand being brought in. Squeek, squeek, squeek.
I remember all of us sitting down and watching.

I remember it blowing up and then splitting, and none of us grasping it right away.

I remember a girl in my class. She was a beautiful blonde girl and we were all jealous of her. Her dad worked at Nasa and she came in with a big Lettermans style jacket with NASA and patches all over it. I remember her sobbing uncontrollably.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: Skid Mark

Hey yeah, I heard the same thing! I wonder if that was true or not.

Yes it's true. The emergency oxygen masks were activated and that needed to be done manually. Somebody had to be alive.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

HA! Yeah, parents used to be something else... Mine were always the cool ones so my friends and my sister's friends were always coming over. I've joked about the stuff my mom used to tell me for years. It was free reign with my dad as long as I didn't do something to get myself in trouble or hurt.

Staying on topic, I'm a little iffy now about going into space with what we have for technology, but back then it didn't bother me as far as still wanting to go.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I remember it well. Surprisingly (since my memory is usually crap).

I skipped school that day (LOL) and was watching something else when what I was watching was interrupted by the news report.

At that age, I didn't understand how it could be that there was no chance they survived. I mean, I wasn't that young I was just dumb. I'm dumb now but I was a lot dumber then and didn't know anything about the space shuttle (or anything else, for that matter).

I guess the greatest tragedy of all was that it took people dying to make people take an interest in what was probably one of the most significant things that was happening on the face of the planet at that moment. 7 human beings are being launched into space and no one notices until they all die. People are not glued to their TVs watching it until something goes wrong.

And wow. Video quality was worse than I remember it! We're so spoiled with our 1080P

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I remember it like yesterday. The scene on the video could have been my class.
I remember the squeaky tv stand being brought in. Squeek, squeek, squeek.
I remember all of us sitting down and watching.

I remember it blowing up and then splitting, and none of us grasping it right away.

I remember a girl in my class. She was a beautiful blonde girl and we were all jealous of her. Her dad worked at Nasa and she came in with a big Lettermans style jacket with NASA and patches all over it. I remember her sobbing uncontrollably.

That's crazy... I don't think any of us knew what had happened when it first blew up. Even the flight controllers didn't know. They called it a major malfunction and Mintier just stopped talking and waited to see what NASA said.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Which begs the question.... Who.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I was in elementary school when this happened. They showed it during school. It was horrible. I read recently that the astronauts were most likely alive until they hit the ground.

This was apparently kind of a secret until fairly recently. That's horrifying to think what that must have been like even if they were only conscious for some seconds. But if they were conscious all the way down that would suck so bad. I would think the G forces would be too much but What do I know.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I remember the news talking about it all the time, and all the teachers and kids at school. That was before it launched. I don't think you were dumb, you probably just didn't care about it.

Quality of video is a lot better but I do miss the old quality and sound of the box tv's. Mine wouldn't pick up any channels, I'd turn a knob at the bottom to power it up and increase the volume, it was only good for my Nintendo and a VCR.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join