It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tsunami Victims Sue US and Thailand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Lawyers from Austria and the Us have lodged suit over the Tsunami in Asia which claimed over 285,000 lives. Lawyers who have lodged the claims representing 60 named plaintiffs worldwide and a further 40 unamed, claim that the proper warnings were not issued before the disaster. Published reports have now shown that Thailand spent one hour debating over whether to issue the appropriate warnings instead of informing the public.

today. reuters.com
The lawsuit was filed Friday at a New York district court on behalf of tsunami victims by lawyers including U.S. attorney Edward Fagan, internationally renowned for 1990s lawsuits against Swiss banks over Holocaust-era accounts. It demanded an account of their actions on Dec. 26.

"We expect a hearing within 30 days," Austrian lawyer Gerhard Podovsovnik told Reuters.

"We don't earn any money on the lawsuit. We want to help people," he said. "We are suing to get information."

The disaster left about 300,000 people dead or missing in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Maldives, Bangladesh and East Africa. Hundreds of thousands lost their homes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The full text of the lawsuit is available at the following website
www.tsunamivictimsgroup.com....

The lawyers claim that this is not about the money, it is a case of wanting more information available to victims and the public worldwide.

Hopefully if this case goes ahead and is won, changes will be put in place to ensure the public is always warned straight away in cases of disaster.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I seem to remember someone that said he created the internet that proposed a global tsunami detection system, yet the GOP lead congress ignored it. Whas it Gore in the late 90s?

No offense, but Tsunami's are way too fast to really have worked to detect and warm some of the places in indonesia

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I agree with you about Indonesia, there would have been no time at all. It seems though, that Thailand did in fact know and could have issued warnings that would have saved thousands of lives. if someone issued a warning I doubt there would have been many people standing on Phuket beach as there were.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Here's a thought: Maybe while they are sueing the US and Thailand, maybe they can sue those Southeast Asian countries so as to make them cough up the money to put in place a tsunami/earthquake ocean detection system, maybe?!

seekerof

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The lawyers claim that this is not about the money

I just thought up a new tsunami early warning system. Take a bunch of lawyers and stake them to posts in the middle of the ocean in tsunami prone areas. Give them a laptop with a connection to the court. The instant they file suit for tsunami related damaged . . . . .

HEAD FOR THE HILLS!

[edit on 7-3-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You know why they are having the trial in the US? Because if it was petitioned in any other nation's court system, it would be thrown out?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think these crackheads should sue GOD. Oh, Allah for the politically correct, most are muslim.overseas. MY TAX Dollars wont pay a penny to these receipients whos countries declined, refused, discounted to contribute to a tsunami warning system. Ironically, those that are stabbed in the back should realize they also have there fingerprints on the handle. i.e. the asian and indian governments

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
I just thought up a new tsunami early warning system. Take a bunch of lawyers and stake them to posts in the middle of the ocean in tsunami prone areas. Give them a laptop with a connection to the court. The instant they file suit for tsunami related damaged . . . . .
[edit on 7-3-2005 by HowardRoark]

Substitute indigo children for lawyers, because as enlightened ones focused on the teachings and philosophy from that part of the world, they should have seen this coming and let all of us (starting with ATS members) know long befor this actually happened.

It's the U.S. fault, It's the U.S. fault!!! Feel free to substitute the cause of your choice for the word "It's".

Seriously, seekerof has it exactly right. Only the U.S. has the liberal activist judges it will take to keep this from being thrown out of court. Just think of the money and time that will be wasted on this!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Funny - since when do the we - the USA have any responsibility for warning anyone about any natural disaster, especially one that originated no where near the US of A..??

"Hey over there - duck and cover or run for the hills or get in your hut or do whatever you do over there...."

People bitch at us for getting involved in their back yards and people bitch when we don't - pick one and stick with it and oh by the way, the warnings are posted publicly on the NOAA web site in near real time and interested parties can sign up for automated e-mails - doh!! I'm sure someone will try to sue us for getting a sunburn from a solar flare because we didn't warn them - oh wait, that data is available for the whole world to see as well....

Lawyers will continue to be the scummy critters that they are just to make a buck....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If it is not the US's job to free the people of the world, then it sure as hell isn't our job to protect them from everything.

This is how the world works. Blame the US when we help, blame us when we don't. These same ungrateful bastards could have financed their own systems, or decided not to build in low--lying areas where historically tsunamis occur.

We've spent more taxpayer money in the last few months for these folks, whose governments then threaten us for delivering supplies, than we've applied to education here in what, two or more years combined?

Add to the fact these same regions have been hotbeds for fundamentalist hatred, among other things, it's easy to see how they'll look for any chance to spew more anti-American propaganda.

Makes you wonder, how many of the "continuing death toll" numbers are from both sides, simply settling old scores when no one is looking....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This is really foolish. I was tempted to disagree and play devils advocate just based on the 'quality' of the responses, but hell with it.

The US is in no way responsible. They did warn the correct authorities, and those authorities in SE Asia declined to issue a warning, fearful it might damage their connections with the tourist industry. This was reported only a day or two after the fact.

There is a warning system in place, but it only alerts to earthquakes. If they ordered an evacuation every time a tsunami had a chance of forming, they'd spend more time in evacuation than vacation.

To actually monitor for tsunamis is very expensive (many buoys) and not even that effective. The Japanese have a pretty good system, but it spits out a lot of false positives, and could easily miss a real tsunami because it depends on wave height to make its calculations (if memory serves).

Sueing the US is pointless. The US seismologists did the best they could to warn the authorities, anybody who says they didn't doesn't read the news.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
As sad as the situation is I feel a lot of people got themselves in trouble by not reconizing the tale tale signs of a tsunami, fisrt the ocean and bays suck water back creating something like a super low tide and even emptying some smaller bays, this is the time to run for the hills. Then when the water comes back there are large breakers leading the water flow, now it is do or die. I've seen many pictures of people looking at the approaching surge of water in awe when they should have been running long before. Also in Indonesia when they felt the violent quake people should have known the dangers, I am sure many natives knew what was about to happen as well as many land animals.

What is the government to do? It is not like the Thai government had a panel of tsunami experts to warn the proper officials.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by jrod]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I wasn't aware it was the responsibility of the US government to pay for other nations weather forecasting centers?

Perhaps we should recall all of the aid money earmarked for them and call those choppers back...hmm???

I can see trying to sue the hotel chain, Thialand, etc., but I can't see the basis for suing NOAA. It simply wasn't their responsibility. Besides, NOAA DID act on it asap, it was Thailand (and other nations) who couldn't act on that warning as THEY had no system in place for it...

This is a BS lawsuit....simple as that. If they really wanted to win, they should have left NOAA out of it....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yet another case of where death and disaster occur the vultures gather.

In this case the vultures are the lawyers seeking to get as much money as possible.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I will play devils advocate.

this is only sueing for info... and the info will show the USA did in fact warn them, and there own countrys officials decided not to spook the public...

Lets see if the info that is discovered that exonerates the US is as publicized as the "lawsuit" agains't them...

and lets see if the actual wrongs of people ignoring these warnings (warnings given by the USA) are prosecuted...

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This is a crazy world we live in.....and welcome to it!!!

Last time i was in Thailand, i took a row boat through the National Marine Park near Samui. A tropical storm swept through and caught the tour group off guard, flipped all of our boats and drifted us out to sea for an hour. The rescue boats had to come find us.

...............Maybe i should sue the US government for not warning me a flash tropical storm was going to hit. I lost my favorite pair of sandles.

Carburetor

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Mr Carburetor]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The A.C.L.U. seems to just keep crawling out from underneath the rocks everywhere. Im not surprised that they are going to try and make this a gravy-train and milk it for all they can get. If we were not in America, the A.C.L.U. would have been history. I'd like to see them move to Russia or China and try something like this. I can already hear their wails.

new topics

top topics

join