It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanny State Democrat From Massachusetts Attempting To Legislate Profanity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

originally posted by: ganjoa
So here's the key legal phrase:

"to accost, annoy, degrade or demean"

Let's see, according to the intent of the bill, "Yo, bitch! What's happening?!" would be perfectly acceptable speech because there's no stated intent or implication of prohibited intent behind the use of the word.

You underestimate the power of the offended. All it would take is for someone around you to take offense to the use of the word, not necessarily the one it's directed at. The mere use of the world could "annoy" someone who hears it, or they could claim it's use is demeaning to women period.

This is a slippery slope and I honestly can't believe any single person is ok with it. It's only going to make things worse.

You misunderstand the power of the written word in law.
I don't know of anyone who is okay with the situation - I merely point out the absurdity - which evidently, you don't see as absurd at all and seem to be condoning a victimhood mind set.

MY point is that the law is written in such fashion to be particularly specific about what constitutes an offense, i.e. the INTENT of the speaker - your straw man interpretation would be unlawful under the law as written - BUT AS I STATED there will be some charges, few convictions. It's a harrassment statute.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
If I lived in Massachusetts I would be pissed that this guy has wasted all the time and resources to do something like this. Just think of what he could have been doing with his time that could actually help people or the state. This does nothing what a complete waste

new topics

<< 1   >>

join