It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Is Time To Get The Mud Back Into The Political Mudpit (Public Comentary)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: FredT
“Will Ad hominem attack for Dopamine”

Can I steal that for my signature?

I have it in a classy font right above my arse.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Speaking as a troublemaker (for the most part) I will try to remember that civility should be the norm and not the rare occurrence.

So much of the toxic atmosphere of politics has invaded all aspects of life now that it's often difficult to separate the true wheat from the chaff.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

And the open secret is, it's all chaff.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I do my best to just avoid the Mudpit now, and I do my best out of the Mudpit to address the post/argument not the poster.

I'm glad to see a move back to civility. I'll do my best.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I've developed a viscerally disgusted response to much of what i see. Its not ATS alone that I am talking about. I mentioned the other day that Shapiro has become akin to a fight circle at school, with a feel of "Oooh, look, did you hear what he said to HIM???". Gossip meant to stoke anger isn't news, and its not worth discussing.

"Little minds discuss people, big minds discuss ideas" comes to mind. Im indifferent to what individuals have to say, im more concerned with what they actually do. But even more, i'd like to discuss the ideas behind it all.

Our world has huge problems today, and bigger problems looming tomorrow. Such as, what will our children do when their jobs are automated and they can only work in customer service? Do we want to have children that can only aspire to pressing pictures of products ona cash register, or being measured for productivity on how many times they can transact with a customer? Is that really an aspiration?

In a world of billionaires, how do regular people maintain control of the means of production? Does anyone really know how important that is anymore?

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Anecdotally?

I'm pushing my youngest towards engineering.

It's probably going to be the one career field that will always be in demand.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

And the open secret is, it's all chaff.

One day, we'll all die. It's inevitable.

The best way to live any life is to be remembered fondly.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

assuming that the entire world doesn't see the same reality....then it becomes paying off an engineering degree while saying "would you like fries with that?"

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

assuming that the entire world doesn't see the same reality....then it becomes paying off an engineering degree while saying "would you like fries with that?"

Yeah.

Maybe.

Life is unkind, unfair and hard.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
What if the OP doesn't participate in the mudslinging ……. ?
Do you still close their thread due to other posters unwillingness to follow the rules ATS has set?

Excellent Question

One should recognize the Democrat chimera AKA: Impeachment Inquiry is exactly that---an unauthorized, cherry-picking Inquisition by Democrats to obscure valid 'Discovery'-of-Evidence and official protocols which have Legal Precedent in past 'Impeachment' proceedings ….

imho, this one-sided Inquiry is designed to not find facts but to Smear Trump with Mud
the 'Inquiry' should be totally Ignored when the Real Impeachment hearings get underway

Will the ~ATS Thread~ like the 'Inquiry proceedings' be allowed to proceed, even though the 'content' is biased/irregular...

or will the 'Inquiry' which is nothing resembling [Legal be shut down because it is un-constitutional to Start with

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well, personally I think it's a great idea and fully support the idea...with one possible caveat:

There are some members who clearly intentionally post leading and inflammatory political OP's "outside" the Mudpit. OP's which are patently false seemingly in hope's of avoiding the wrath of the Mudpit, ones which leave little room for anything other than a vigorous response. Posts which clearly don't want discussion other than being able to make a statement and have the last word.

I would hope this new policy will equally apply in trashing those types of OP's just as much as the responses within them.

Bottom line...all for it.

P.S. - a little hard to see how forums like 'Political Madness' will be functional though. Just an observation.

FCD
edit on 10/22/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You are describing a muddy OP, which would be removed and the only way it could stay is if the OP remade it inside the Political Mud Pit. No mud outside the Pit means no muddy OP's outside the Pit also. I think Ahabstar was very clear about that issue.

It has been a long standing policy that threads that are too muddy to remain outside the Political Mudpit are trashed rather than moved to encourage members to only create such threads within the confines of the Mudpit. That policy will not change.

What's happening now is the result of a long discussion among Staff and people need to take it seriously. Yes, even in the Political Madness forum.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but it should be noted that members who insist on ignoring this will find themselves Posting Banned. This is not something that will be enforced for a time and then ignored. It's time for mud slinging outside the confines of the Pit to end. Even in the Mud Pit, any personal attacks will be hit and the possibility of a Posting Ban will exist there also. Targeting other members instead of the topic is also something that needs to end, one way or the other.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...well...I've already reigned back on commenting in political threads...no minds are ever changed...and reinforcing stereotypes gets blasé after a spell...

However...I do like to...banter...
You know...shuck and jive with the peeps in a harmless display of jovial comradery...

The Critically stinking one whom you've been chatting with...can attest to that...as we rib one another in a no harm no foul kind of brinkmanship...

Hopefully your not going to start gigging overly much for that...or for harmless trollery...

Cause...then...why...I might have to stop posting entirely...if there's no room for emo on the boards...

Oh well...shuffles off to mind his own business...by his-self...cause no-one wants to have any fun anymore...

Sniff...

YouSir

You , Are Correct Sir ............

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: CriticalStinker

What will change is the increased removal of posts that degrade otherwise perfectly fine threads

And you are right. Far too many times I scroll up to double check that I am in the Pit before giving a flippant reply. And sometimes will check again before hItting send.
I don't go into the mudpit. There are a lot of issues that I would like to address, but if they're in that forum, I don't bother. Further, I assume that if the OP has places his/her thread in that forum, they are more interested in hurling abuse than in reasonable discourse. Again, a reason to ignore a thread.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

I love good examples of what we ware looking at so let’s give it a look shall we?

One should recognize the Democrat chimera AKA: Impeachment Inquiry is exactly that---an unauthorized, cherry-picking Inquisition by Democrats to obscure valid 'Discovery'-of-Evidence and official protocols which have Legal Precedent in past 'Impeachment' proceedings ….

That would be an opinion with a tone to bait those of a political persuasion to reply in kind or in stronger tones as a oneupmanship. Broad enough brush to not directly attack a member. So good for the Pit, not so good in other forums.

imho, this one-sided Inquiry is designed to not find facts but to Smear Trump with Mud the 'Inquiry' should be totally Ignored when the Real Impeachment hearings get underway

You admit it is an opinion so we are on the same page. So far so-so

Will the ~ATS Thread~ like the 'Inquiry proceedings' be allowed to proceed, even though the 'content' is biased/irregular... or will the 'Inquiry' which is nothing resembling [Legal be shut down because it is un-constitutional to Start with

I’m a little puzzled because i think some text is missing. But if a thread is okay and only has posters behaving badly, then those posters problematic posts will be looked at. If the thread itself appears to the consensus of the staff to be the problem then action will happen towards the thread itself.

If there is lots of posts that need a clean up, then the thread may be close to do so and may have a cool off period added to it while closed.

Thank you again.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

You and I have disagreed on a few topics here and there over the years. I feel no animosity and don’t believe you do either. We agree to disagree whether we say it or not. And I’d say we’d sit and shoot the bull for hours IRL.

The Mudpit isn’t a skin of evil, but it might kill Tasha Yar because it can. So there is that.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ShAuNmAn-X

This post exemplifies the purpose of the MudPit.

The UFO/Alien Forum is a major part of passion that caused me to become involved in ATS way, way, back when...

To see threads in that forum (or any other forum that is non-political) devolve into "polymud" is truly disheartening to me and that's why I support this initiative FULLY.

We are all grown ups, there are LOTS of amazing things happening in our world that have ZERO to do with the partisan B.S. known as U.S. Politics!

Enjoy the site, discuss what's important to you, and please, if you think you're going to slip one in, just think again and have a little respect for your fellow members. We just don't want the mud spilling out into the intellectually focused forums.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Isn't that what we sometimes refer to as a "tramp stamp" ? As for our civility and decorum, even though I have more than likely stepped out of bounds on occasion, I try to always use inclusive language like we and us when when I disagree. It is a way of disarming not only the individual I am in disagreement with, but it acts as a way to force myself to see the other side.

A form of empathy, to place all of us in others shoes. A better way to argue, and still get a point across. It may be lost on some, however, it causes me to think as it's not necessarily the way we normally respond, using we and us. It slows me down, and my response is "usually" more measured.

Hopefully what I said makes sense, and often I will type a response only to hit the back button to cancel my response. Makes me feel better because I typed out an obviously inflammatory post, even better when I use the back button. Largely, a good community here and we can all do better. In comparison, ATS is lightyears ahead of many, which is due to the hard work of the moderators, thank you all, and on my best behavior.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Me and johnny rarely agree....but by God if he isnt quintessential ATS for me.

I ignored the pit for a long while too. But decided id rather participate and remain civil to promote the ATS way instead

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShAuNmAn-X
a reply to: Ahabstar This is a good thing. I've been reduced to lurker status because everywhere I go it's always "Democrats are commies or Orange man bad." In the mudpit I expect it. I don't like to see it in the UFO or ancient civilization boards. I hope everyone heeds the warning and helps get ATS back on track.

Pretty much

I basically stopped coming due to this garbage and when I do come I find it less than valuable and its usually for a short period of time

Would love to throw together more threads related to what I've been watching in the market as things are getting crazier everyday but I find it not as useful as it once was

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join