It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bubsy 3D: Bubsy Visits the James Turrell Retrospective (ARTISTIC Homebrew Game)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Hey no one has posted about this homebrew game... which actually does have some artistic value.

This is NOT about the bad Playstation game. It just references that bad artwork on purpose, lol.

The first stage has Bubsy visiting an art installation (from James Turrell). Who I had never heard of before, but his work is interesting enough, and it translates well to the game. (His art is rooms... with strange lighting effects, imitating polygon shapes.)

Then a few more stages, with references to contemplating life, and the importance of artwork... Also references to contemplating sadness, and the oppression of capitalism, etc.

Bubsy merges with a short, fat human (who I assume is James Turrell). Later, Bubsy and James talk to each other.

Includes a visit to HELL, complete with fire and dancing skeletons.

Strange screens of text...

Bubsy dresses up as a beatnik and smokes...

Later, a nighttime visit to the museum...

And it ends with, um... a crazy scene of impossible violence.

.........Hard to describe but the content is pretty abstract and thoughtful.

Everyone can download the game for free (Bubsy3D.com), but in case anyone would like to just watch a play-thru, here's mine, in just under 40 minutes (non-monetized channel):

edit on 21-10-2019 by JamesChessman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
"Bad Playstation game"?
We played Bubsy back in the early 90s and compared to a lot of other games it was pretty OK. I have fond memories of that game. Wasn't deep, but we enjoyed it and played it a lot, because it was the 90s and not the 2019 [graphic wise].
I watched a few seconds of that video and was bored.

Yeah, Bubsy he even wobbled his bottom like a proper cat before attacking!

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Haven't played it myself, but the internet says it's one of the worst games of all time.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
"Bad Playstation game"?
We played Bubsy back in the early 90s and compared to a lot of other games it was pretty OK. I have fond memories of that game. Wasn't deep, but we enjoyed it and played it a lot, because it was the 90s and not the 2019 [graphic wise].
I watched a few seconds of that video and was bored.

Yeah, Bubsy he even wobbled his bottom like a proper cat before attacking!

I never played the PS game myself... but online vids look pretty rough.

Plus 1996 saw Mario 64, blowing everyone’s mind with a real 3D world, with fluid controls.

Also NiGHTS into Dreams, same year. So Bubsy didn’t really have a chance in 1996.

Regarding the OP: it’s a half hour of gameplay that will make you think about life... but I guess maybe it’s a tough sell.

I think of Let’s Play vids as something to play in the background while you’re doing something else, like cleaning your apartment or something. (But I know that some folks dislike Let’s Play’s.)

Re: the online game:

Some aspects that might not be obvious at first:

Bubsy’s sprite is ugly on purpose, to reference the PS game. It’s a joke.

Also if u go to Bubsy3D.com: the website itself is visually a joke; it’s set up like a 90’s site, with low color, and badly animated GIF’s. On purpose.

Plus the game itself has been deliberately preserved... because of its art value re: James Turrell, and promotion of museums, etc.

Plus the game controls pretty nicely, as Bubsy can jump-glide everywhere. So it feels nice to play.

If people don’t want to watch then I wish they’d try the game at Bubsy3D.com.

Then again, maybe this is all uninteresting to most gamers, idk.

I do find it fun and thoughtful... but I also don’t get into most modern games...

I keep seeing ads for Game of Thrones that I can’t get into, at all, for example lol.

new topics

top topics

join