It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In shall let the water wars begin. Fuel from seawater & Hydrogen fuel cells.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
If oil wasn't enough. There goes the ocean. Best country are countries that are resourceful and don't always rely on technology for everything. Goodbye world.

www.fastcompany.com...

Hydrogen gas research.

www.sciencedaily.com...
edit on 20-10-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Hydrogen is sticky.
It likes to have a partner so we get H2O.

It's also takes a lot of energy to split away from its partner. More energy than you get from hydrogen so it ends up in a net negative.
I'll be interested to see how they solve that problem.

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Well then, let us look at gasoline.

Here is one of many lists.

Deep sea oil explorer (uses fuel) Had to build it.

Big Oil rig. (uses part of the oil to provide energy.) Had to build it.

Oil Tanker (uses part of the oil to provide energy.) Had to build it.

Refinery (uses part of the oil to provide energy.) Had to build it.

Trucking all over the world (uses part of the oil to provide energy.)

Gas station (needs electricity to pump gas ... of all things)

If you want to compare then let us compare apples to apples.

Gasoline is a Hydro Carbon.

The Carbon is not used during the energy release.

What is left?

Hydro = Water.

P

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Flux capacitors.

Where we're going... We don't need roads.

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

You don't have a very good grasp on physics do you?

Hydrogen takes more energy to produce than you can get out of it.
Oil on the other hand does not.

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Oh ya! Hydrogen powered everything can lead to issues. But then again, so can everything else.

I mean look at all the issues they have from oil and gas powered everything.

But even if you make a engine that runs on farts and candy wrappers, chances are that people will go to war over that as well and monopolize then put a tax on candy wrappers and farts.

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Actually, Tesla EV is doing an amazing job increasing the range.

www.guideautoweb.com...

Hydrogen power is the same thing as Oil in which oil companies will probably take advantage of and end up hoarding all the fricking water from the population to sell on fuelling cars up. That is the flaw of burning gases.

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Oh they have been trying to get hydrogen from oil for over 50 years now. And well, companies and big business is in the business of making money, not it retooling and restrategizing and restructuring everything they so got used to doing, as that is a big loss in profit.

But anyways. Either way. Does not much matter.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
we need to start living more conservatively instead of making more and more ways to destroy the environment. Where are they going to get high amounts of cobalt from to make this catalyst? They will have to open up more mines in the Congo so the young kids can be exploited to work in the mines.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You don't have a very good grasp on physics do you?

Hydrogen takes more energy to produce than you can get out of it.
Oil on the other hand does not.

My physics knowledge is just fine. You can take your attitude and place it where the sun doesn't shine.

If you carefully dissect the real figures for oil you may find out it is not what they claim.

Stop believing the Oil Industry!

Do your own research.

How much energy goes into building huge ships, oil platforms, oil refineries ... it is a big list!

At every step. oil itself is used for the energy requirements for all of those steps.

But you take gasoline, the end product of an extensive process, and say look at how efficient it is!

You need to question pseudo science a bit more.

P

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I agreed. That black goo does not just summon itself out of the ground and magically teleport itself to e dry process where it is utilized. I have always pondered how people who use the conservation of energy thing or whatever that law is called (never studied physics) conviniently ignore the entire chain.

The beautiful thing about hydrogen looking for a partner is the energy that union provides, and it is a higher level than the combustion of gasoline.

I think the primary concern of water levels could initially be solved by developing the facilities at Sea and using transmission lines to simply move the energy generated to fuel cells on land. Think of gulf of Mexico hydrogen refineries transmitting that energy to massive fuel cell farms in the deserts of the Southwest USA. Maybe even small scale solar farms to assist with whatever the scaled equivalent of transformers/capacitors along the transmission route.

This was an idea I dreamed up decade ago. I hoped one day human achievement would one day catch up with my dreams.
edit on 10-21-2019 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

never studied physics

Using water to produce hydrogen is like taking water and carbon dioxide to produce gasoline. You get only as much energy out as you put it. Typically you get out much less due to process inefficiencies.

With oil nature already did the processing for you, brought up the required energy, all you have to do is to pump and refine it.

Pumping and refining costs energy. But it is incomparably smaller than energy required to produce gasoline chemically. The total efficiency of gasoline production is 85-90%.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Hmmm, using all that water will offset the sea water rising from global warming!

But seriously....i made a hydrogen generator pretty cheaply to go on my car. We got about a 10 percent increase in mpg. And this was with 20 bucks of materials from home depot. I DOES get hot though and uses a lot of battery power.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

How did you arrive at the 10% number?

Did you actually run a fuel consumption vs power output test?

You can get easily get a 10% mpg increase just by driving economically.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   

It not my attitude that's the issue but people's grasp on reality when it come to energy and physics.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Would it be costs effective to setup a bunch of solar panels. Maybe in Florida or Arizona. To sit there all day long and separate oxygen and hydrogen from sea water? Though in that case I'd argue for the creation of Browns Gas to be used to power vehicles.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Hydrogen has several major issues making it unpractical.
very low energy density is one or them.

The most common methods to produce hydrogen is using methane...aka fossil fuel.
Other methods are possible but much higher is cost and lower in efficiency.
Basically your idea of solar panels would be for electrolysis and that's not a very good way to make hydrogen.

You then need to compress the hell out of it to be able to carry enough to make it useful.
Around 3000 pounds of pressure. A standard air compressor is Making 150 lbs.
That wastes over 15% of the available energy in hydrogen.
Then another 15% to heat it up when trying to use it in a vehicle.
3000psi is on the low end too...10k is better..

The first law of thermodynamics dynamics is your biggest problem.
Physics is an evil mistress.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Why would I falsify a cheap DIY project for my own purposes? We checked it under a normal week of driving.

a reply to: moebius

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

It not my attitude that's the issue but people's grasp on reality when it come to energy and physics.

Don't waste your time with facts on the green people.

They get all flustered and start yelling.

posted on Oct, 21 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

Yeah, good point.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join