It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Is Bush Trying to Scupper the EU's Deal with Iran?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Iran is negotiating this week with the European Union (EU) as part of ongoing talks that began in December. What's on the table is Iran's entry into the World Trade Organization (WTO) - and the nation's ability to trade equally with other countries. The sticking point is Iran's nuclear program. After initially supporting the terms agreed on by the EU, the USA again appears to be backing out. As this news report from the International Herald Tribune states, the Bush administration has subjected the world to "four years of indecision and contradiction" on the Iran issue.

www.iht.com
After four years of indecision and contradiction, the Bush administration is seemingly willing to endorse various aspects of the negotiations between the European Union and Iran. Although still not inclined to join the negotiations, Washington is willing to go along with Iranian membership in the World Trade Organization and with the sale of spare parts to Iran's aging airline industry.

However, the latest American shift stems more from an effort to deflect European criticism than to resolve the imbroglio over the Iranian nuclear program. A permanent solution to Iran's nuclear challenge necessitates a far more comprehensive American engagement strategy.

...A durable solution to Iran's nuclear challenge, however, necessitates a further American movement and Washington's embrace of the totality of EU diplomacy. ...The United States should officially participate in the EU-Iran discussions and put on the table its economic sanctions, acknowledgment of Iran's territorial integrity and recognition of its existing regime. In turn, Iran would be asked to cease all enrichment activities and submit to an intrusive, permanent inspection process. Such a stratagem can finally end another potential proliferation crisis.

The Bush administration's recent push to forge a unified strategy with its European allies to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons has brought fresh hope for a potential breakthrough in a two-year diplomatic quagmire, diplomats and analysts said.

The EU has been offering Iran economic concessions, including support for Tehran's bid to join the World Trade Organization, allowing it to buy parts for civilian aircraft, and possible assistance with peaceful nuclear technology.

The negotiations, which began in December, are scheduled to resume this week in Geneva.

Bush, EU allies take new angle on Iran nuclear ambitions

March 3, 2005. BUSH: The guilty party is Iran. They're the ones who are not living up to international accords. They're the people that the whole world is saying, don't develop a weapon. And so we are working with our friends to make sure not only the world hears that, but that the negotiating strategy achieves the objective of pointing out where guilt needs to be, as well as achieving the objective of no nuclear weapon.

STRAIGHT from the SOURCE: The President

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While other nations have been willing to allow Iran to proceed with a nuclear energy program, with constraints, the USA is balking. As Iran points out, other nations that are members of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (which the USA is not) make peaceful use of nuclear technology.

Iran urges EU to decide on nuclear case on realities

"There are many countries making peaceful use of nuclear technology that are members of Non-Proliferation Treaty and have signed its additional protocol while at the same time they have joined its safeguard agreement," Asefi said.

"Iran can do the same too and, at the same time, cooperate with the EU," Asefi stressed.

Iran is pushing hard for the deal, and looking to resume their nuclear program. President Akbar Hashemi-Rafsanjani spoke about the issues at a nuclear conference in Tehran.

"European leaders promised us international acknowledgement of our right to pursue peaceful nuclear technology; we trusted them on this, and in return suspended our activities," former President Akbar Hashemi-Rafsanjani said. "But after three months, not much has happened," said Rafsanjani... (speaking at a conference in Tehran)

"...everybody asks why the First World should have environmental-friendly energy resources and the others not," Rafsanjani said. ...He further rejected Western arguments that Iran did not need nuclear energy owing to its huge oil and gas reserves. ...Iran, he said, had even more oil and gas reserves 30 years ago, but at that time the Germans still started the nuclear power plant in the southern Persian Gulf port of Bushehr. ..."We are not after bluffing or increasing our demands, we are only after a pragmatic solution," Assefi said.

...the head of the foreign policy commission of the Iranian parliament warned the EU not to follow the same double-standard policies of the United States. ..."The US is blocking Irans WTO membership illegally, and to hinder the development of an independent country like Iran," Assefi said.

Iran accuses EU of breaching nuclear deal

As Rafsanjani says, First World nations have environmentally friendly nuclear power, yet some work to prevent Third World nations from developing it. Then they turn around and blame the Third World for pollution and global warming. Looks like a Catch-22.

There are many sides to this story - and numerous political interests on the table. Clearly, the issue is no where near cut and dried. However, it does seem clear that Bush needs to sit at the table and participate actively in the negotiations. As it stands he's playing a geurilla sniper's game, waiting until terms have been reached, then taking potshots and shooting them down.

[This story will be updated as news comes available on the Eu-Iran meeting.]

Related News Links:
www.ctv.ca

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I hope he is, it is a bad deal if Iran gets to keep any "enrichment" technology whatsoever. Its just "stalling"

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
We all know that the bush administration once it targets a country will not back up from his tagging.

So far we also has seen how well the administration respect foreign police

He is for my way or the highway.

So all this is going to turn into a dead en for the Iranians as long as US and Israel, tag them as "axis of evil"

Is going to be a very bumpy right for the Iranians in the next 4 years.

I don't see the US agreeing for the peaceful nuclear power in the hands of the Iranians

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

as posted by Marg
I don't see the US agreeing for the peaceful nuclear power in the hands of the Iranians

You know something we don't, Marg?
Rafsanjani send you a personal letter assuring you that despite the unquenchable lakes of oil that Iran sits on that they are developing nuclear power and enriching uranium for "peaceful" means and intentions?

Well, I guess that would answer why they are building those .5+ mile deep underground tunnels, eh?

They can insist that they are for peaceful means, but there intentions and actions indicate otherwise.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Honestly, this looks like more manufactured scare-mongering to me - pure Bush propaganda. Iran's so-called "suspected nuclear weapons program" is a figment of Bush's imagination.

7 days ago, Russia signed a deal with Iran stipulating that ALL spent nuclear fuel will be returned to Moscow - Iran won't have any fuel to arm nuclear weapons. The International Atomic Energy Agency will monitor the Bushehr plant and the fuel deliveries to and from Moscow. Iran is totally in agreement and compliant with IAEA inspections. The "world" is satisfied.

So where's the problem? Oh yeah. Bush says, "The guilty party is Iran. ...the negotiating strategy achieves the objective of pointing out where guilt needs to be."

I know! Let's not give the deal a chance to work. Let's cry foul, point fingers and keep everyone all freaked out and dancing. They're all fools and they'll forget there's an already negotiated and approved arrangement.

Russia, Iran Sign Nuclear Deal

February 27, 2005: Russia will supply nuclear fuel to Iran for its Bushehr nuclear plant, according to a deal signed today. The deal stipulates that Iran must return all spent fuel to Moscow. Spent nuclear fuel contains depleted uranium, which possibly could be used to develop arms. World leaders hope the contract terms will allay US fears that Iran was planning to use spent fuel to arm nuclear weapons.

February 28, 2005: Under the deal, Russia will provide nuclear fuel to Iran, then take back the spent fuel, a step meant as a safeguard to ensure it cannot be diverted into a weapons program. Iran has also agreed to allow the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency, the International Atomic Energy Agency, to monitor Bushehr and the fuel deliveries.

STRAIGHT from the SOURCE: FEMA

February 28, 2005. MR. McCLELLAN: We have always supported the efforts by our European friends to get Iran to abandon its nuclear weapons ambitions. We want to see them succeed in those efforts. And we have seen that over the last several months that Iran is now providing more information to the International Atomic Energy Agency. They're providing greater access to the International Atomic Energy Agency.

STRAIGHT from the SOURCE: The White House Press Release

March 3, 2005. BUSH: The guilty party is Iran. They're the ones who are not living up to international accords. They're the people that the whole world is saying, don't develop a weapon. And so we are working with our friends to make sure not only the world hears that, but that the negotiating strategy achieves the objective of pointing out where guilt needs to be, as well as achieving the objective of no nuclear weapon.

STRAIGHT from the SOURCE: The President

Wotta guy. Kinda like the other one who kept coming up with reasons for Germany to attack a new country every so often.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

... despite the unquenchable lakes of oil that Iran sits on that they are developing nuclear power and enriching uranium for "peaceful" means and intentions?

God forbid they are allowed to develop any type of deterrent to prevent any power hungry countries like ... uhm. lets see.. Oh Yeah! The US from trying to attack and take that oil.

Well, I guess that would answer why they are building those .5+ mile deep underground tunnels, eh?

That would be to protect themselves from the deep penetrating nukes from the US.

Phae

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

You know something we don't, Marg?

Humm.....that is exactly what I said, so any problems there?

Rafsanjani send you a personal letter assuring you that despite the unquenchable lakes of oil that Iran sits on that they are developing nuclear power and enriching uranium for "peaceful" means and intentions?

No, maybe a postcard but not letters he, he,

But how about you have you been in Iran and seen the tunnels? or Bush send you a letter telling you to trust his "inside" Intel.

Hey maybe they are for the middle east holocaust so the people can hide.

They can insist that they are for peaceful means, but there intentions and actions indicate otherwise.

They can said anything they want too just like any other country. Even Israel with his nuclear power is for "friendly reason" right,lol:

Just because bush hate the middle east it doesn't mean I have to hate them too that is just personal preferences.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Bush just doesn't have that kind of, as the idiot said, political capital to accomplish much more than is already on his plate--Iraq. The Lebanese have put him on notice to, not take any credit for forcing Syria out of their country. Isreal's peace jestures, are just that--Ariel Slaughterhouse Sharon is giving lip service to Condi and Bush, while he waits for the slightest reason to kill a bunch more Palestinians and appease the right Wing war mongers on both sides of that issue.
Iran will continue doing what it wants to do, and if that includes building nuclear weapons, they will be Iran's ticket into the European Ubnion. Everything Bush is doing today, Social Security, trying to play the world's Democracy spreader, marriage amendment, everything he does from dawn to dusk is to make people forget what a costly mess Iraq is.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi

Everything Bush is doing today, Social Security, trying to play the world's Democracy spreader, marriage amendment, everything he does from dawn to dusk is to make people forget what a costly mess Iraq is.

Naah! Ya think? Really?

Funny, and partly true, but I think there's more to the story. ...Seems to me Bush is purposefully restructuring America's legal and political systems to fall in line with the already restructured economy. ...It's a matter of making the priorities and hierarchies all nice and legal.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
It's true the restructuring of the econony and judicial system is occurring, but that has been the Republican agenda since Regan, and probably before. Clinton only slowed that policy of hate and corruption of the principles of Democracy, [while I might add, enduring his own failures,]. I don't think anything in those areas would be different no matter who the Republican President. George Jr. has expedited that agenda with his tax increases for the rich and his current domestic work, but he came to office wanting to be bigger than his father and the republican party, and the only way of accomplishing it could not happen with his meager knowledge of the world and foreign policy, or his patience with diplomacy. He wanted something bigger and the neo cons made him their bitch. He actually visualized the flowers and cheering in Iraq, and when standing on the deck of the carrier off the coast of the US, he actually thought his adualation was starting. Now, his inability to adapt to reason and failure has only forced his attempt to salvage a positive legacy. Attempt is the key word--Iraq may be all he's remembered for.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by kazi]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi

It's true the restructuring of the econony and judicial system is occurring, but that has been the Republican agenda since Regan, and probably before.

Agreed. But looks to me like it's speeding up now. Is the first Republican president since NAFTA was signed, which established key terms and parameters. ...This Bush is pushing all the support legislation through fast now, really is a Bushkrieg.

Not quite sure where Iran fits in here, or Iraq. The oil grab sure, controlling the Middle East using Israel as a power base yeah - but something else is going on too....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ya ur Right the oil and using Isreal to control the middle east obviouly but what else, that is the question like you said. I personally belive its beyond any normaly raised human( in the sense that you must be brought up with the knowledge passed down to you [somthing along thous lines]), a higher power is to benefit from this that is all i know and its probably ties into another conspiracy someway (Nwo, Reptilians Ufos) that garbage I have a hard time even considering.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Sofi--everything that is going on is happening with very little confrontation from the Democratic party. As a people were ignorant, but the Democrats are folding. I listened to Ted Kennedy today talk about raising the minimum wage and occassionally got shots of other Democrats yawning or looking as if their wanting to be somewhere else. At the end of Bush's State of the Union I watched congressman Ford almost knock someone over trying to get to the rail to get Bush's autograph on the program, and he got it--and the thanks was written all over his face. I know this is petty, but Bush had just told them how little they matter. Yes something different is happening around us, and it feels undemocratic.
I hate to show my fear because in this forum you open yourself to attack, but I've given plenty for my country and I like it the way it was.
The middle east worked two way for Bush. It got him the Christian fundamentalist vote, and so far the continued ownership of middle east oil, but that depends on stability, something that is not guaranteed. Iran could prove too much for us to handle, manpowerwise, but there are the red necks that will say we can whip anyone with with missles and bombs, and who knows how well Syria will take it's current spanking.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Talks between the EU and Iran are proceeding, and negotiations are hard. Iran won't bend - and pundits say they may not because of upcoming elections. Others say the flexibility may come at the very last minute.

EU and Iran at impasse on nuclear plans: western diplomats expect 'last minute' breakthrough in negotiations
By Agence France Presse (AFP) Thursday, March 10, 2005

The talks on the nuclear dossier, the key to agreement on any other matters, began Wednesday, a diplomat close to the negotiations told AFP.

A senior European diplomat also close to the talks said the negotiations "certainly are tough but the Iranians will never make a concession even at the 11th hour. They will wait for the very last minute or seconds."

"In the run-up to the presidential elections, I do not think any of the Iranian officials have any interest in showing any flexibility because they will be strongly criticized for giving away Iran's rights," Samore said.

Iran flatly refuses to accept Europeans' nuclear demand
Mar 9, 2005, 16:51

Negotiators from Iran and the European Union met Wednesday in Geneva on Tehran's nuclear program, with Iran flatly refusing to accede to the Europeans' key demand that it abandon uranium enrichment.

Iran said Tuesday it had already gone far enough in providing "objective guarantees" that its nuclear intentions are peaceful and warned that a refusal by the European Union to accept this would bring negotiations to a dead-end.

GENEVA-TEHRAN, 8 Mar. (IPS) Iranian and European negotiators ended the latest round of negotiations in Geneva on the crucial and controversial Iranian nuclear activities, with sources saying that Iran has toughened its instance on its right to enrich uranium.

Observers say the move is a “political bluffing” aimed at raising Iranian stakes in the stormy and so far inconclusive negotiations with the Europeans since the authorities have always said they have plans for producing 7.000 megawatt generating from atomic reactors.

www.iran-press-service.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well taking in consideration that Iran keeps refusing to stop the Uranium enrichment program it shows how hard head they are.

They they are taking the same stance that NK took when they were going through the same thing, and they go away with it, but alas NK was not threat to Israel.

new topics

top topics

join