It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian Kurds Situation

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Defense treaties only apply if you’re attacked .

Syria wouldn’t want to go to war with us or the Kurds besides they are ready to cut out a slice for the Kurds anyway . Russia is just like turkey they don’t want a full scale shooting war. We give too much money to Iraq the corrupt government/generals don’t want to lose it. So they’re not going to war with us or even complain very much .

Putin would probably do the same thing with Syria they already have something close now .

We already have the same treaties with ......

Nato

Australia, New Zealand, Philippines , Thailand, Japan, S Korea , United States, Argentina, Bahamas, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad & Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela

Some of them go back to late 40s but they’re still at large .

It’s a time tested way to prevent hostilities. I think it’s come back to this day and age .

Quite a few of those countries have had wars but they were internal .

My scenario is extremely unlikely to happen. But I think it would be like a bouncer coming in and saying everybody sit down and shut up . Lol
edit on 18-10-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Syria would have every reason to take their land back, and Russia may very well support them. You really want the US involved in that?

The most I would do is sell/give them weapons. I would absolutely be against a defensive treaty until they establish themselves.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I have a quesrion.
Who was at the table when the U.S. and Turkey established a 20 mile exclusion zone.
It didn't sound like the Kurds or Syria were even involved in this Turkish land grab

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrable

I have a question, what does that have to do with my thread?

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: highvein

So I do not want to put words in your mouth, but it seems like you are saying it would require too much commitment and sacrifice on the US behalf, and you feel it is better we leave.

We did our part and they did theirs. The world is a tough place. Especially the middle east. For thousands of years. I think it's time we admit that more war is not what is needed.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

I agree. And if the previous administration made promises they did not keep shame on them.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   

The Kurds are fighting with Syria now and have let Syria into Kurdish controlled territory. Sounds pretty likely they’re gonna be able to work the land deal out .

Besides after eight years of war Assad as sure as hell is “warred out”.

I’m not sure you understand the power of a defense pact.

We found that when a country enters into a defense pact, it is less likely to be attacked,” Leeds says. “In addition, entering into defense pacts does not seem to make countries more likely to attack other states.”

“ Less likely” to be attacked is because they aren’t perfect .

Military alliances

I grew up during the Cold War. I would be willing to bet there was a 90% chance. The Soviet union would’ve move further into Europe . If it wasn’t for NATO .

Like I said it’s doubtful my scenario would happen but there’s a lot of history behind the good alliances have done .

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

You don't annex part of a country, give it to someone else, then claim that country has no right to take it back. Americans would not back that.

Although I guess Democrats would probably be for it if Trump said he was against it.

Can you source Syria is going to let the Syrian Kurds form their own independent nation with Syrian land?

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

You lost me on annex ?

No I can’t source of land deal yet that’s why I said it’s “ pretty likely “.

You need to look at this from other angles not solely from the US point of view. Assad has been fighting for 8 years. the economy is in shambles. They’ve been fighting their people, Turkish, American, Saudi Arabian backed groups just to name a few . He’s lost cities, his oil wells and at one point damn near all of his land .

He got a sigh of relief after ISIS was defeated . Then turkey invaded claiming to want 20 miles of territory from the border. But now way over 20 miles in some parts

Russia is not going to get involved against turkey because they would be attacking NATO . Even though turkey can’t claim innocence .

Assad wants to repel turkey so he sided with the Kurds . Once again he’s found himself in another quasi-war .

If the Kurds and Syria repel turkey . Assad’s not gonna want to start another war with the Kurds who are in my opinion the best fighters in Asia minor if not the entire Middle East. Which would also more than likely bring the US back in to arm the Kurds .

If turkey gets stopped or turned back . Assad is still going to need an ally to go against a NATO country if need be.

There have been Kurds in Syria for a long time probably since the end of World War I. There’s around 2 million Syrian Kurds in northern Syria that have been there for god knows how long .

Assad would be the happiest man on earth if people would quit invading and rebelling . Lol

I think he’s going to give the Kurds that piece of northern Syria. Because why the hell not ?

They’ve been governing it under Assad for a long time anyway and would you rather have the Kurds as a ally or a enemy ?

Hopefully this # stops pretty soon and everything gets decided over the negotiating table .

The only stick in the mud is the PKK .

They could screw everything up .

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
COMMON SENSE FOR AMERICA

Hundreds of Americans murdered here at home every year.

Thousands of American babies killed by their mom/doctor every year.

Priority #1 Should be to Eliminate most of that carnage.

Then we can go save lives of foreigners, if U.S. citizens ask Congress to authorize it.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
it is almost a certainty that the Kurds lived in the region as far back Sumerian empire.

Is it?

it is also thought by many that for a time the Ancestors of the Kurds known as the Qartas conquered the Sumerians and for a time and ruled the area for a time. they were also known to the by the Akkadians. some kurds consider themselves to be descents of the Meads who conquered Nineveh during the Assyrian rule. there is also other mentioning and thoughts on them up to modern times so it is plain to see that they have been inhabitants of the area a very long time.

Ummm...

"It is thought by many..." is hardly a basis to result in a final "... so it is plain ..."

we all know what they have done in the War On Terror.

I don't... and I dare say most who think they do, don't know a whole lot more than me.

Now seeing how long it is thought they have been in the region, and the help they contributed to the world on the all three of the world wide major conflicts, had their homeland stolen from the by greedy colonial empires

What homeland? All you have so far is a bunch of innuendo and rumor, nothing substantiated as fact, and definitely nothing to go to war for.

Trump should have protected thenm and help them establish their own Homeland.

Sorry, nothing you have said even remotely supports such a contention.

We helped them and they helped us. We gave them a ton of money and equipment. We finished our objective. Time to leave.

even if he didn't help them with a homeland, he should have stayed and if needed sent more troops to proterct them. you don't abandon people that bleed with you.

You do if the fat lady sings, and she was out of breath as soon as the Caliphate was destroyed.

Now things are working themselves out just as they should have from the beginning.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

I have heard so many haters claim how wrong this was and why Trump is so bad for doing this. I made this thread so I could learn where people are coming from.

Not one single person has responded and explained why the US leaving is bad, and explained why we should stay and why they believe it is worth the cost.

I wanted to give people a chance to explain, but I guess there is no explanation other than #OrangeManBad for most if not all of them.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Bush promised the Kurds a homeland after the invasion of Iraq . I read a article the other day that said the Kurdish region is the only place on earth where George W could get elected again. Lol

Crap, can't find it... was going to link to a very recent Bush video criticising Trump for doing exactly what he did - 'abandoning' the Kurds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join