It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rush Limbaugh 'Most Reconized' Name In Radio Survey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Rush Limbaugh

AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 9, 2003--Conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh may be the most recognized radio talk show personality in America (93 percent recognition) and the lead player in a conservative radio revolution, but 40 percent of talk radio listeners feel the format lacks balance and that they favor talent over ideology, according to a just-completed national study titled "Talk Radio in America: A National Perspective." The study also highlighted changes in the talk radio format over the past decade and dispelled myths about what is driving listeners and the success of talk radio.

The Benchmark Company, an Austin-based market research firm, recently unveiled the results of an independent national study of 997 AM and FM talk radio listeners in the 100 largest U.S. markets. In addition to talent trumping ideology and the debate over balance on the air waves, other key findings show that while there is a preponderance of nationally syndicated talk shows, most of which are conservative or libertarian in their ideology, 61 percent of respondents cited local personalities as their favorite hosts. Station management must also balance the amount of time devoted to interruptions for advertising, news, weather and traffic as listeners cited the increasing number of commercial and other interruptions as the number one reason they are turning off talk radio.
"While the number of nationally syndicated shows has grown in the past decade, the driving factor for listeners is talent, not ideology," explained Dr. Rob Balon, chief executive officer of Benchmark Company, and the study's author. "Rush Limbaugh works because he is a talented entertainer who puts a great deal of effort into preparation so that he hosts a good show. He just happens to be a conservative."

Business Wire

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   
40% of Americans think the program lacks balance. I guess 60% of Americans are complete morons then. I never really listened to Rush. It is more entertainment than a serious program in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I agree with a lot of what Rush has to say,but it is more entertainment,than real news. What I don't like about Rush,and others on both sides of the polotical spectrum,is all they do is talk. They could contribute far more if they got up and did half the things they preach about.

join