It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Erdogan threw Trumps tough guy letter in the trash

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

In his letter to President Erdogan, Mr Trump wrote: "Let's work out a good deal! You don't want to be responsible for slaughtering thousands of people, and I don't want to be responsible for destroying the Turkish economy - and I will.

"History will look upon you favourably if you get this done the right and humane way. It will look upon you forever as the devil if good things don't happen."

In the letter dated 9 October, and sent after US troops were pulled out of Syria, Mr Trump told Mr Erdogan: "Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!"

In response, Turkish presidential sources told BBC Turkish: "President Erdogan received the letter, thoroughly rejected it and put it in the bin."

It is hard to imagine language like it in many letters between presidents.

Donald Trump's mixture of threats and locker-room banter infuriated Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. His staff told the BBC that he threw the letter into the bin and launched the Syrian operation the same day.That could be proof there was no Trumpian green light.

Link

"That could be proof there was no Trumpian green light." That's the understatement of the century. I face palmed so hard yesterday when I read the letter from Donald Trump to Erdogan I may have given myself a slight concussion, so forgive me if I can't keep up with the excuses of why this is such an amazing thing.

President good brain really went all in this time.
edit on 17-10-2019 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
If he'd of kept the letter I would have found that a little creepy.
I mean what did you want him to do with it - slide it under his pillow?

peace

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I would have hung it up on my wall as a reminder how to be stupid.

+38 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: HanyManny

you need reminders for that?
interesting....

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: silo13

You know, maybe write back a little note attached to some Werthers Originals saying how he appreciated such a letter from a strong and important leader.

Going by what Trump said in the letter I think that's what he was expecting.

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

you need reminders for that?
interesting....

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Well, lets not be surprised when Erdogan/Turkey get thrown out of NATO

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

You could just come to ATS and read your threads, but to each their own...

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

You mean Erdogan isn't our ally? Someone send a cable to the White House.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Operating off the premise Trump didn't green light the Turkish operation, what was the play here? Turkey has obviously decided to go rogue against NATO and regional interests. They've decided to pick up where they left off on their fight on he Kurds by what appears to be against most every interest in he area.

So lets say that Trumps letter was a poor diplomatic attempt, again, I ask what the right move was.... No chance, better wording, strong arming with the military?

I said I would wait until more information came out before jumping to conclusions on the move in northern Syria... And given this is from unnamed sources, I'm still going to remain skeptical.

But if this does turn out to be the case, I'm actually leaning towards a bit more pleased with the transpiring of events on this one.

It's about time the US stops being the end all be all in the region. If Turkey decides to go rogue, we shouldn't put all the weight on our shoulders. I don't think there will be any shortage on nations willing to step up to address Turkey given the circumstances. While I remain skeptical, I'm willing to have an open mind as this plays out.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Well, lets not be surprised when Erdogan/Turkey get thrown out of NATO

It's been a long time coming at this point...

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I'm just laughing at how idiotic what was written in that letter is. It's no wonder Erdogan threw it into the trash. People believe Donald Trump is some kind of strong man, when he's really just a bumbling idiot. This is what world leaders have to deal with when they communicate with our moron in chief.

I'm pretty sure every Thursday they all get on a conference call and laugh about the last dumbass thing he said to them.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Probably the plan all along. NATO gets in the way of resolving anything. Once they're out, then all restrictions are off the table. They can be economically ruined, and even declared official war on at that point.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

The nonsense surrounding this isn't helpful in any way.

If Trump wants to roll into Turkey, we know he will roll into Turkey. Tens of thousands of people can die. And the best Trumps opposition can do is make insults and jokes.

I don't know whats worse...Trumps ego or the sheer inhumanity of the people who oppose him in the US.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I don't know whats worse...Trumps ego or the sheer inhumanity of the people who oppose him in the US.

I'm going to go with the ego of a dementia addled senior citizen with the ability to launch nuclear weapons..

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

"That could be proof there was no Trumpian green light."

Well, there's also this:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
· Oct 7, 2019

As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

....the captured ISIS fighters and families. The U.S. has done far more than anyone could have ever expected, including the capture of 100% of the ISIS Caliphate. It is time now for others in the region, some of great wealth, to protect their own territory. THE USA IS GREAT!

twitter.com...

Erdogan had just begun his offensive, that day, Oct 7th.

Earlier in the day, Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who urged Trump to withdrawal American troops from the region, had warned that military action might come swiftly.

"We have made a decision," Erdoğan told reporters before leaving the country on his way to Serbia. "We said 'one night we could come suddenly.' We continue our determination."

www.commondreams.org...

edit on 17-10-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I'm just laughing at how idiotic what was written in that letter is. It's no wonder Erdogan threw it into the trash. People believe Donald Trump is some kind of strong man, when he's really just a bumbling idiot. This is what world leaders have to deal with when they communicate with our moron in chief.

I'll meet you half way. I don't really care for how Trump speaks. It's generally at a 5th grade reading level, laden with buzz words and sound bite material. It comes off to me as either dumb ass tweets, or blatant pandering.

That said, given the foreign policy trends of the last two presidents, I'll take a light handed bumbling dumbass over trigger happy MIC puppets.

Lets say Trumps letter is a failure, and militarily we go hands off. Good.

Russia wants to play pretend super power in the region and let their tax payers quarter back this one, so be it. Syria wants to step up and actually determine what happens in their borders... Excellent.

If the western world decides to act on Turkey, hopefully it starts with diplomacy, and if that fails moves through exponentially crippling sanctions.

But I don't want my countrymen's blood spilled, or my tax dollars hemorrhaged for this region any longer. Hopefully this is the start of a new trend, and if that's the case, I can laugh about silly letters.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I like this oratory gem by the president, another dealing with Turkish matters.

"We're confident, and we have a great -- a great air base there, a very powerful air base. That air base alone can take anyplace. It's a large, powerful air base"

All our bases are belong to us and are very powerful.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Threw it in the bin, huh?

I'm having a very hard time believing that an official letter from the prez of the USA is thrown into the trash by the prez of another nation. That's how they keep their records? Documents? Official foreign relations and diplomacy?

It is Turkey, so I suppose anything is possible... but probable? Nope.

Propaganda at its finest.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

So Erdogan told trump to get out of Syria and trump did as he was told.

I guess that about sums it up.

trump is whipped...guess he didn't "grab that pu$$y"...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join