It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Debate Forum use

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Zelun

Sh*t, you've found me out...

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Badams

I'd star you if I could but I can't. This is my star.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Your question went unanswered here as well. Thia was about ten days ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I'll 1up you: Should humanity leave the Earth?

Or how about: Humanity deserves to exceed the capacity of planet Earth.

God, I'd love to read that one.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Your question went unanswered here as well. Thia was about ten days ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I tried to bump DBs thread that you linked but was not allowed unfortunately😞

It would be courteous of the site owner(s) or existing moderation staff to explain but unfortunately (yet again) I would expect a curt response saying question answered and thread closed...

Mods have lives too... But I am sure that the site owners (Being the good people that they/He/She are or... respect members enough to respond in kind.

“sighs”

Sadly this is what ATS has become when asking a simple and honest answer.

It’s all about quick and easy revenue nowadays sadly😢

Have a nice day/evening or whatever.

Lags
edit on 17-10-2019 by Lagomorphe because: It’s not going to happen

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Just saw this and I agree with you!

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
*restated elsewhere
edit on 17-10-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
*removed by poster

edit on 17-10-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Wish the Mods would respond to this thread. The debates in the past were so informative from both sides of an issue. They truly did add an element of civility to contreversial subject matter.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I'm sure the mods have seen it.

They're probably discussing who could or would want to moderate the forum.

It's labor intensive and time consuming.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I loath using the mod tags as I think most are intelligent enough to tell when I am speaking as member versus speaking as a staffer. But I want no mistake as this not being official or that it is even being looked at but wanted to address a few things to clear them up. Because it has been a long time since this was a thing.

1) Driveby trolling, political or otherwise. Doesn’t happen often as in order to post in the debate forum you need Fighter Status. Problem posters will not have the Fighter tag and can lose it rather quickly if there is a problem.

2) Debates generally fall into tournament style on various topics. Want a good “political” debate? “Who should Pelosi name to chair the Committee on Oversight and Reform due to the passing of Elijah Cummings?”

3) Sometimes debate topics are tossed out or just approved for entertainment (non tournament) purposes to keep Fighters in practice, forge deeper respect for one another, bragging rights, etc.

4) Debates are typically formatted as Socratic debates. Freeform mudslinging like within the Mudpit is not the accepted format. I personally like the freeform take on all comers style of the Pit, but there tends to be more mudslinging than actual debate there. Which is why I declined invitation to have the Fighter tag years ago. And that answer was respected. To each their own.

5) Given the above, if the debate forum was to return would I help run or judge debates/tournaments? That is a good question that depends on a few factors such as other staffers level of desire to participate and in what capacity.

6) But if it did happen and I did get involved, how would you be assured unbiased fairness given my participation in numerous political threads. Well as with any other part of the site, the staff conform to the T&C and specific special rules of special forums. We often recuse ourselves for various reasons including actual bias but more often than not, perceived bias. So if I am in it, you have my word that I am good.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 17-10-2019 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

How does one obtain a "Fighter" tag?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

At present, one doesn’t as the forum is inactive. But when/if it does there will be an announcement thread here in BBQ where petitioners May apply and staff will consider granting fighter status on various criteria including overall participation and general adherence to the T&C. Numbers of new Fighter may or may not be limited at first to “see how it goes.”

Take DBCowboy as an example, has a Fighter tag but is currently useless to him. Limiting the number of creating more DBCowboys if the debate forum fails to catch on as a more permanent fixture would be a consideration that would be discussed.

Just spitballing but say a tournament of 24 with six alternates in case something comes up and a person has to drop due to IRL stuff. Limiting to the first 30 people that either already have or are qualified to have a Fighter tag seems reasonable at first with qualifying members past the cutoff date awarded tags if it goes well, interest is there and more are planned.
edit on 17-10-2019 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Just spitballing but say a tournament of 24 with six alternates in case something comes up and a person has to drop due to IRL stuff. Limiting to the first 30 people that either already have or are qualified to have a Fighter tag seems reasonable at first with qualifying members past the cutoff date awarded tags if it goes well, interest is there and more are planned.

I really like your idea!

Hopefully from your keyboard to Springers ears...

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Just common logic to a hypothetical that would explain why there would be a limit.

24 participants may be too large for a first run. Maybe 12 with 3 alts. But that leads to an odd second round unless an alt was tagged in with a random draw for round two bracket positions.

Or maybe some other lineup other than traditional brackets...hmm.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
👍👍👍a reply to: Ahabstar

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Debating well takes a considerable amount of effort and time so much so that I think most people have no interest investing that kind of time and preparation only to have one's opponent post opinion pieces for fallacy after fallacy.

The hardest challenge I see is agree to a standard of evidence, e.g. citations, sources, or whatever you wish to call them.

Given that, I wonder what our purpose is ... is our goal to find truth, facts or merely to win?

A member recently talked about paying a subscription price for access to certain material. I started musing about having tow new forums, one called Debate Club and one called Fight Club ... which would be mirror images of each other.

Pure facts, logic and reason are the only posts allowed in Debate Club, and in Fight Club, as it's not general consumption, well, no rules aside from no breaking the law (threats of assault, blatant hate crimes etc.) (Yeah, I'm not crazy about "hate" crimes either, but the site owners are still liable even in a membership forum.)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Debating well takes a considerable amount of effort and time...

Which makes it that much more enticing and enjoyable in my opinion.

I really hope ATS tries it again. I think you may be surprised by the number of members that have the info, research, analysis and well considered positions that would participate.

Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

BTW - I just like that sentence. I am not a girl.

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Gender-fluid maybe?

(JK)

I'd love to hear from those members with great knowledge, debating ability and so forth.

(post by Jg513 removed for political trolling and baiting)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join