It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juno Probe Sends First Home Movies Ever Of Jupiter's Moons Orbiting!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
A couple of those moons look like they are on a wobbly path through space-kind of like stones skipping across a pond.
The one at the top of the screen is the most obvious.
I wonder if that is due to the camera,or maybe its the shape and weight balance of the moons that results in this wobbly looking orbit.
Interesting stuff

Yes that is the most interesting oddity seen so far. I still have not seen anyone anywhere speculating what is driving this behavior.

Very odd.

edit on 17-10-2019 by A51Watcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
a reply to: A51Watcher

Best post I've read today. Seriously gives me chills/goosebumps to witness the wonder/majesty of the universe made manifest in images like that.

My only regret is I have but 1 star to give you.

Thank you so much. What I appreciate most is seeing you and others having the same response I do when viewing these images.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 17 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   
So here's a good recent video giving lots of details on what Juno has discovered so far. Some of this info may have some clues to the odd behavior of the moons.

Also, I don't think this wobbling is due to the camera, otherwise we should see wobbling on the other moons as well and the planet itself no?

edit on 17-10-2019 by A51Watcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: A51Watcher
Also, I don't think this wobbling is due to the camera, otherwise we should see wobbling on the other moons as well and the planet itself no?

Not if the wobbling is a result of the small size of the far away moon.

Not know the size of the original images I cannot say for sure, but if the moon appears as only one pixel then the image does not have enough resolution to show small changes in position, so the moon some times appear in one position and at other times it appears higher or lower in the screen.

If the moon wobbled like that astronomers would have noticed it many years ago.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: A51Watcher

Not if the wobbling is a result of the small size of the far away moon.

Not know the size of the original images I cannot say for sure, but if the moon appears as only one pixel then the image does not have enough resolution to show small changes in position, so the moon some times appear in one position and at other times it appears higher or lower in the screen.

If the moon wobbled like that astronomers would have noticed it many years ago.

Well it turns out Armap is correct.

The video I posted was the first marble movie posted online shortly after Juno arrived in 2016 and presented itself as official NASA footage.

In the last few days after some searching I have located the actual original marble movie footage created by a NASA employee that this clip was taken from.

It's resolution is quite obscure, probably one created by the Junocam and is listed as 1620 x 1080, somewhere in between a 4:3 and a 16:9 aspect ratio, 1:5 actually but still rates as DVD quality.

The creator of the OP video was probably using something primitive like Windows Movie maker or some other low end movie maker that had difficulty transcoding the obscure resolution into a (now) standard format.

Bottom line is the original marble movie footage has no signs of such wobbling and there is a lot more footage including a close flyby of Jupiter upon arrival and footage looking back after the flyby.

The footage changes speed since Juno apparently started taking photos more often as it approached Jupiter.

The angle of approach also changes, and one really nice segment suddenly suffers from a lot of random static during approach.

I will attempt to remove this with a smart denoiser and will post the entire movie fairly shortly.

In any case, the footage is still equally breathtaking and much longer.

edit on 19-10-2019 by A51Watcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Could you please post the original video? I always prefer to look at the originals.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Could you please post the original video? I always prefer to look at the originals.

Thanks in advance.

Not a problem. Here you go -

top topics

<< 1   >>

join