It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 50 US Cities with the worst commute

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 03:05 AM
link   
And, no - New York City is not #1.

The state of CA has the most cities on the list by far, but you may find other cities on this list surprising.

Some of the cities listed here were definitely surprising to me, especially the ones in AZ. I bet AZ residents aren't surprised though.

I can personally vouch for the CA cities having lived there for a number of years.

Below is a slideshow with a little blurb about each city on the list.

Cities with the worst commutes in America

edit on 10/15/2019 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I hate when they do it as a slide so I have to keep clicking 50 times.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter
And, no - New York City is not #1.

The state of CA has the most cities on the list by far, but you may find other cities on this list surprising.

Some of the cities listed here were definitely surprising to me, especially the ones in AZ. I bet AZ residents aren't surprised though.

I can personally vouch for the CA cities having lived there for a number of years.

Below is a slideshow with a little blurb about each city on the list.

Cities with the worst commutes in America

Might as well call this click bait...you have to go through 50 slidea just as the above post mentioned....booooo

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

That site is awful and I probably have a virus for going to stupid MSM.com, PLUS I couldn't see what the cities are.

Usually, DC and LA duke it out for spots 1 and 2. I'm in DC and if it's not #1 something is wrong.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I've been all over the country and DC is the worst, LA is 2nd but probably has more traffic volume than DC. New Orleans has the worst drivers because the cops don't enforce any traffic laws. Seattle is pretty horrible too.

All the north east is bad, but I think a lot of that is due to garbage roads.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Boston is up there as well. Also Portland.

edit on 15-10-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I've been all over the country and DC is the worst, LA is 2nd but probably has more traffic volume than DC. New Orleans has the worst drivers because the cops don't enforce any traffic laws. Seattle is pretty horrible too.

All the north east is bad, but I think a lot of that is due to garbage roads.

Thank you for vindicating me. What did the click bait site say, do you know?

And the roads are TOTAL garbage. Plus constant road work and road construction yet it never gets better- six weeks of closing down the busiest section of the beltway during morning rush hour and when it's gone- roads are the same.

I live 22 miles from work (I'm on the Virginia side, 5 minutes from the 14th street bridge into DC). I don't even go to work in rush hour, and if I don't give myself an hour and 20 minutes to get there, I'm usually in trouble.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I was up in Baltimore two months ago, and left around 10 am to come back with a 5 hour drive. I thought, "I've never been to DC, I'm gonna stop and hit a museum or two".

About 10 min out, I noped the F out of there and drove straight through. I read somewhere late fall is one of the best times as things start to slow down, and I have a cousin in Alexandria I might stay with.

It's up on the list as well as one of the dark sky spots in WV (airbnb cabins are cheap there too).

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Atlanta is not even on the list. Throw it away.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I didn't even go to the site, my rankings are my own.

I used to live in Woodbridge, I'd leave early like 2-3am and it would only take like 25 minutes to get in.

Leaving? Yeah, if I wasn't on the road by 3:30 it usually took an hour and a half. One time it 3 1/2 hours.
For 25 miles.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Boston I've only driven back and forth from the airport a few times to some town a little north and west. Didn't have much trouble.

I keep missing out on Portland, haven't been there yet.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Chicago. It can take me up to an 1 hour to go 9-10 miles during rush hour.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Boston is horrific, there's traffic nearly every time of the day, it's similar to DC traffic.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Chicago. It can take me up to an 1 hour to go 9-10 miles during rush hour.
I believe it, 30 mins to just go around the block in some cases.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Boston is up there as well. Also Portland.

Seattle is horrendous as in everyone lives outside of the city and commutes, Portland as you say is bad too for the same reason. Seems every morning the traffic report is 45 mins from 205 in WA to downtown...on a good day.

The good news is if you plan on not living in CA you wipe out 50% to the top 50 worst right there.

edit on 15-10-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Portland is actually worse than Seattle. It's right there with Los Angeles, imho.

I love living in an area where heavy traffic is considered to be 5 or 6 cars with 30 seconds of each other...

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I love living in an area where heavy traffic is considered to be 5 or 6 cars with 30 seconds of each other...

I live 51 miles from work and it take me 60 mins...not too bad, but I drive East on 14 so away from traffic.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I was there when they had their snowpocalypse and got 2" of snow. The panic was hysterical.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I was there for one of those, too, in Seattle. I was passing through headed for Alaska's fishing grounds, so I was on the bus to the airport, and in Downtown for a bit waiting...

It was hysterical, as you say...

All those super 4 wheel drive vehicles...stranded on the side of the road after their idiot drivers slid off the road, because they've not the native intelligence to slow down on icy roads...
edit on 10/15/2019 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm kinda surprised Tampa's not on the list, there were many times 275 was clogged worse than a southern artery, and getting from Tampa to St Pete or vice versa took 45 minutes. Or even longer if there was an accident and they limited traffic to one lane.

And that was 5 years ago. I can't imagine it's any better now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join