It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Big Brother Own You via Your Car or Truck? My Experience with GM Software Update PART II

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

China has gutted the USA supply base here in USA. Its all over there. Everything. They demanded that all stuff be produced in Asia Pacific, not necessarily in China. that includes screws and hardware also. NO NORTH AMERICAN CONTENT.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Now that I see all of your comments I wish I had taken a picture of that screen. Next time I will.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLieWeLive

Actually the software upgrade kills the radio. I had to mess with 100's of buttons until I got FM again. Now that pissed me off as I was 1/2 on my way to the dealer after the 1st upgrade. I forgot what I pressed but the radio then came back on.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It's most likely so people won't do something that inadvertently interrupts the upload. How many people can sit in a car for 10 minutes and not play with any buttons, stereo, etc. It's for the folk that can't keep their hands to themselves.

If it isn't able to totally disable any/all buttons during the upgrade, it is very poorly designed.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

However, this time it contained al sorts of on screen information, including what will happen if I accept the download, the time to update @ 10 minutes and that the car must be in park, turned off and you must exit the car immediately after you accept the update with the engine off and take your keys.

What?!?

You must exit the car?!

What kind of bullsh#t is that?

Was the update going to bathe you in deadly radiation or something?

That makes NO sense at all. None. Zero.

Did you call GM and ask them about that?

WTF?!?

edit on 10/14/2019 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

What kind of bullsh#t is that?

I have no reason to make it up as that's what I thought I read on the screen. GM Dealer comments say you can use the car during a download? Well not mine and its a 2019 Chevrolet Colorado LT. Once you press download everything craps out, brakes, lights, radio, emergency lights and flashers, widows, door locks, etc.

I sure wish I took a screen shot of that statement. It did express concern in writing that a person could become locked inside the car and would not be able to get out. When that thing powers down it powers down as in all power is off, including emergency flashers, everything.
edit on 14-10-2019 by Waterglass because: added

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I have no reason to make it up as that's what I thought I read on the screen. GM Dealer comments say you can use the car during a download? Well not mine and its a 2019 Chevrolet Colorado LT. Once you press download everything craps out, brakes, lights, radio, emergency lights and flashers, widows, door locks, etc.

I totally believe you...I just find the whole scenario absurd re: GM...no reflection on you, I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. I'm on your side...

WTF were these people thinking when they roll these "updates" out?

I so hate when certain idiots make all computer or technical people look like morons.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I am really wonder WTF they are doing. Two updates on a 2019 vehicle that I bought in February? I had owned a 2015 Colorado LT and had ZERO software updates over that span when I traded it in. Gee maybe I need to tone down my rhetoric here on ATS. I specifically bought that truck as I launched the Inline 4 cylinder engine back in 2003 as an SQE at the Tonawanda Engine Plant so I knew what parts were good, bad and so so. Great engine for mileage. Got routine 28 MPG on Interstate 20 going 78 MPH on cruise with AC on heading from Atlanta to Columbia, SC and 90+ degrees outside.

Prior to those I drove a roach coaches for almost 16 years. Got to the point that my wife would not get into the car as she was embarrassed. I loved it. 2006 Buick LeSabre with 280,000 miles. I never had NO parking lot damage dings and NO ONE would tailgate. When I took it south into Georgia with New York State license plates I scared the hell out of the Southerners, including The Sons of The Confederacy. They probably it was Mob North coming on down
edit on 14-10-2019 by Waterglass because: added

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: rickymouse

Neither one of our (2) Subaru's do this. We have a '16 and a '19 Outback.

BTW...don't get the Forrester, get the Outback instead. It's a much better design. (and it holds more stuff).

Agreed 100% re: Outback.

I bought a new one a few years ago and I really love that car.

I think my old Camaro is getting a little jealous since I only take her out on the weekends in nice weather.

Ah, she'll get over it.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Big Brother owns you entirely in every possible way. Your car is the least of your worries.
edit on 15-10-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
This is an update to my original thread that I posted on September 11, 2019. Another GM software update was sent to my truck on or about October 6, 2019. This time I was out and about and when I parked in a Walmart lot the screen gave a warning about a pending 10 minute update.

PART I

However, this time it contained al sorts of on screen information, including what will happen if I accept the download, the time to update @ 10 minutes and that the car must be in park, turned off and you must exit the car immediately after you accept the update with the engine off and take your keys. I finally accepted the update on October 11, 2019 with the truck parked in the garage. Guess what. It worked just fine so what happened back on 911.

Regardless of any opinions out there GM is not a fooked up organization. No way would that 911 software upgrade would have been rolled out by them, that sloppy. I worked Engine and Transmission Launches for World Wide Purchasing and worked in several countries including a two plus year pre bankrupt Black Ops project over in Shanghai China Vehicle Assembly Operations. The black Op was to not spy on China. It was to preserve and upgrade the top 50 worst suppliers and supply base throughout Asia Pacific.

So what do I think? Who in their right mind would launch a substantial 45 minute software upgrade on 911 with no instructions. Just a touch screen icon to accept or decline?

So just a shout out to the NSA! Hay this is a conspiracy site? Right

Don't these systems usually haves setting that tells them to only download and install software updates during certain hours?so

Maybe all you need to do is to change the update settings.

Me, my vehicle of choice has no external wireless connections at all. You need to pop the hood and connect this big chunky cable directly to the vehicle.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Possibly you are correct. I haven't read that entire GM owners manual yet. You do understand the mindset of an Engineer don't you? As in we don't read the fine print until something breaks or goes wrong!

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 05:19 AM
link   
No, southerners don’t think of those as mobster cars, they freak out thinking they are trailer trash meth heads from the north. Surprised the cops didn’t pull you over, or did they?

NoT saying that you are but the stereotypes of those cars here scream!

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Cops never pulled me over but we transferred the plates in 2 weeks. Let me tell you after seeing both sides, on average as jerks are everywhere, nicer more grounded, down to earth people live up North. The supposed "gentility" that I was expecting in the South is long gone. It has been replaced by impatient, reckless all about me crazy behavior. No respect for thy neighbor. Parents are indentured servant's to their children. The kids are dangerous, especially behind a steering wheel. Really sad.

The despise Yankees!

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
"Big, American automobile companies - we, the government, will give you a big tax break and bailout if you let the NSA inside your vehicles."

"We'll take it. We don't drive the cars we make anyway."

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

That is because those are the northerners that have come down south.

It is an invasion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join