It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to pull remaining troops from north Syria as Turkey presses offensive against Kurds

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Associated Press

Is anyone else's head spinning from the absolute lack of direction in our foreign policy? We support our allies, then we don't. We are leaving troops in place to support, then we're pulling back just 30. Then when Turkey "accidentally" attacks our own troops we are now pulling back all 1000. The decisions of each next day trample all over the decisions of the previous day. And all of this is OK, in his great and unmatched wisdom, and Turkey has not gone too far. We just have to retreat further, because that was our plan all along. Yes, yes it was.

I have to apologize to someone from a couple of days ago who said the Americans were retreating. I took that personally because we don't retreat. Americans don't retreat.

Now we do. I was wrong, and I apologize. I am not a military history buff, but can someone help out - when was the last time a president of the United States ordered our military to retreat? Is there a record of that anywhere?

The United States is poised to withdraw some 1,000 troops from northern Syria, its defense secretary said on Sunday, after learning that Turkey planned to extend its military incursion against Kurdish militia further south than originally planned.

Another consideration in the decision, U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper indicated, was that Washington’s Kurdish-led ally, the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), were looking to make a deal with Russia to counter the Turkish onslaught.

This makes no sense either. Because there is indication our allies may want to make an alliance with the Russians instead, we will pull back and allow them to do that? Since when do we just bow out of alliances to let Russians take over? What the hell is going on?

I remember Trump saying recently that if we don't complete the sales of weapons to the Saudis, they would be forced to buy from the Russians or the Chinese, and that would be a VERY BAD thing and we needed to support our allies. Until a couple of months later when it is a good thing our allies go to the Russians, for unexplained and completely bizarre reasons.

Everyone still hanging onto the roller coaster?

New reports of civilian casualties also surfaced. A Turkish air strike in Ras al Ain killed nine people including five civilians on Sunday, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said. The SDF said a “civilian convoy” had been targeted.

Turkey’s offensive aims to neutralize the Kurdish YPG militia, the main component of the SDF and seen by Ankara as a terrorist group aligned with Kurdish insurgents in Turkey. But the SDF has also been Washington’s key ally in fighting that has dismantled Islamic State’s jihadist “caliphate” in Syria.

“In the last 24 hours, we learned that (the Turks) likely intend to extend their attack further south than originally planned, and to the west,” Esper said in a pre-taped interview with CBS.

“We also have learned in the last 24 hours that the ... SDF are looking to cut a deal, if you will, with the Syrians and the Russians to counter-attack against the Turks in the north.”

Esper called the situation “untenable” for U.S. forces, saying he spoke with Trump on Saturday night and that the president directed the U.S. military to “begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria”.

A deliberate withdrawal. In other words a retreat.

These are shameful actions, and as an American I feel a retreat after lives have been given, and leaving our allies out to dry after their lives have been given to help OUR cause, are cowardly actions and we all deserve better than this shame.

Maybe the president just does not comprehend what is going on?

My question remains: When was the last time a president of the United States ordered a full retreat of US military from our theater of operations?

edit on 13-10-2019 by Oraculi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Oraculi

SMH

You want a war?

Then have your leftist representatives in congress vote for it. They (the leftists) hold the majority. They can declare war. The president actually can't.

You want war, go tell your representatives to vote for it.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

SMH

You want a war?

Then have your leftist representatives in congress vote for it. They (the leftists) hold the majority. They can declare war. The president actually can't.

Straw man argument. In fact, I'll just call it as it is - you are lying about me.

I challenge you to point out where I called for a war. Go ahead I'll wait. And if you find where I said that, I WILL apologize. Until that moment, you sir, are a liar.

Let's turn away from deflection and get back on topic:

When was the last time a president of the United States ordered a full retreat of US military from our theater of operations?

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
NATO

War Mungers !!!

And...Russia gets their gas pipelines through Turkey to Europe without WW3 and without Qatar/SA competition !!

👁️‍🗨️ 🎱 👁️‍🗨️

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Here we have a person that knows nothing about Turkey. They just bought a bunch of Russian anti aircraft missiles designed to bring Nato jets down...yet they are allies! Lmao. Turkey is no ally. They just hang with whomever pays more.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Well if one has the energy to put big boi pants on and start looking at recent accidents, incidents, business deals and research the dark web about all sorts of trades one could find out a clear reason.

But we have to remember that the narrative changes for us from time to time.

link   

SMH

You want a war?

Waaaaaaaaaa! Reeeeeeeeeee!
If Trump got us into more wars, the Leftist’s heads would explode.
When Trump brings the troops home, the Leftist’s heads explode.
I personally don’t give a damn what happens in Syria or Turkey.
Leftists crying about Trump will never end.

link   

Alright "Blood and Guts" Rambo.

If you want the fighting to continue, have your leftists in congress vote for war.

Seems you want it.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Syria is a craphole civil war that Obama go involved in.

Idiotic move.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Ummm...so what was that thing called...when we left all those fine people at the embassy in Saigon...?

I supposed that was just a phased withdrawal...right...?

BTW...how are your two boys doing...?

YouSir

link   

originally posted by: Oraculi

Boy do you and that stoopid cartoon both have Trump wrong. He explains his decisions very well in the following and has a great grasp of the situation. Well worth a listen.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Seems like some behind the scenes negotiating happened and Syria and Russia are going to handle the Turkey issue in Syria and liberate the lands that Turkey has occupied as well as give a hamd to the Kurds. Leaving the US able to pull troops out without the Kurds being wiped out by Turkey.

Best part about this is Turkey buys a lot of equipment from Russia now so I doubt they will wanna bite that hand and I would expect them to pull out peacefully for the most part.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

If you want the fighting to continue, have your leftists in congress vote for war.

Seems you want it.

Your Reeee is delicious, guys. Keep it up. I am finding that in the absence of intelligent discourse here on ATS, a pleasant substitute is absorbing all the Reeee from the people I trigger. If you guys keep me entertained, maybe I'll come trigger you again in the evening.

Love your Reee.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Where is the OIL?

Who stands to benefit if Iran, Syria, and Turkey are under Russia’s “sphere of influence” (an old term, but Putin is an old Cold Warrior)?

And “once the dust settles”, who’s investments in those countries stand to multiply in value?

“Quid pro quo” on the “down low”?

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

SMH

You want a war?

When was the last time a president of the United States ordered a full retreat of US military from our theater of operations?

By theater of operations, you clearly mean our illegal invasion of Syria right?

You are aware we were NOT invited, nor was war declared. We are there ILLEGALLY.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Seems like some behind the scenes negotiating happened and Syria and Russia are going to handle the Turkey issue in Syria and liberate the lands that Turkey has occupied as well as give a hamd to the Kurds. Leaving the US able to pull troops out without the Kurds being wiped out by Turkey.

Best part about this is Turkey buys a lot of equipment from Russia now so I doubt they will wanna bite that hand and I would expect them to pull out peacefully for the most part.

Sounds like a smart diplomatic answer instead of more bloodshed.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Seems you want it.

Your Reeee is delicious, guys. Keep it up. I am finding that in the absence of intelligent discourse here on ATS, a pleasant substitute is absorbing all the Reeee from the people I trigger. If you guys keep me entertained, maybe I'll come trigger you again in the evening.

Love your Reee.

*sigh*

If that's your idea of an insult, I'm disappointed. If you want, I'll send you some you can use on me that might raise an eyebrow.

Until then, keep up the war drums, killer!

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Looking at the USA foreign "policy", many people in different countries are wondering again, why they have to lie in a bed they haven't made again".

All that chaos and mayhem in this region and around the world wouldn`t be that serious without the "help" of the "most peaceful" nation (and it´s foreign "policy") on earth.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
thank god get out of that #hole and let them blow each other up, only thing we should do is protect heritage sites like the pyramids let the rest of it go to # until they learn

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Syria is moving upon Kobani and Manbij as we speak.

Now Syrian forces posed to defend against invasion and protect Kurdish towns, Russia is involved as well.

Erdogon has overplayed cards.

Edit: To add to overplayed cards (threat to release those held to EU):

France and Germany are stepping up efforts to stop the Turkish offensive against Kurdish-led forces in northern Syria

One Souce of Many

mg

edit on 13-10-2019 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2019 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join