It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Sentinels From Advanced Civilizations And The Lurker Hypothesis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I saw an interesting, 1 hour video, of the 2019 Eugene Shoemaker Memorial Lecture with guest speaker, Dr. James Benford. It was held at Arizona State University on September 5th of this year.

Dr. James Benford is President of Microwave Sciences, Inc. in Lafayette, California, which does contracting and consulting in High Power Microwaves and space applications of such technologies. His interests include high power systems from conceptual designs to hardware, microwave source physics, electromagnetic power beaming for space propulsion, and experimental intense particle beams. He has a PhD in Physics at the University of California San Diego in plasma physics.

The lecture was entitled, "Is ET Lurking in Our Cosmic Backyard?" This year, Dr. Bensford was given an award by the BEYOND Center for Fundamental Concepts in Science at ASU, to honor the life and work of Eugene Shoemaker.

Eugene Shoemaker was an American geologist and one of the founders of the field of planetary science. He is best known for co-discovering the Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9 with his wife Carolyn S. Shoemaker and David H. Levy. This comet hit Jupiter in July 1994: the impact was televised around the world.

Shoemaker was also well known for his studies of terrestrial craters, such as Barringer Meteor Crater in Arizona. Shoemaker was also the first director of the United States Geological Survey's Astrogeology Research Program.

Bedford talked about the "Lurker Hypothesis," which is the theory that robotic, alien sentinels from advanced civilizations, are hiding on co-orbitals that surround Earth. Co-orbitals are quasi-satellites/asteroids that share a similar orbit to Earth's. Bedford believes that these co-orbitals would be the "ideal location to hide an alien probe."

A recently discovered group of nearby co-orbital objects is an attractive location for extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI) to locate a probe to observe Earth, while not being easily seen. These near-Earth objects provide an ideal way to watch our world from a secure natural object. That provides resources an ETI might need: materials, a firm anchor, concealment. These have been little studied by astronomy and not at all by SETI or planetary radar observations.

Benford calls hypothetical, hidden, unknown and unseen alien probes by the name lurkers. In theory, they would be robotic, like our own robot probes sent out to explore our solar system, but doubtless much more advanced. It’s possible that a lurker could be in our solar system, hiding on one of Earth’s co-orbital asteroids, for thousands or millions of years, just silently watching.

If advanced alien civilizations exist they might place AI monitoring devices on or near the worlds of other evolving species to track their progress. Such a robotic sentinel might establish contact with a developing race once that race had reached a certain technological threshold, such as large-scale radio communication or interplanetary flight. A probe located nearby could bide its time while our civilization developed technology that could find it, and, once contacted, could undertake a conversation in real time.Meanwhile, it could have been routinely reporting back on our biosphere and civilization for long eras.

earthsky.org...

China has plans to send a probe to explore a Earth co-orbital, asteroid 2016 HO3, which is sometimes referred to as Earth's 2nd moon. It will be a 10 year long mission, which will have the probe land on 2016 HO3 to collect samples, before returning to Earth.

The mission will involve exploring a near-Earth asteroid, named 2016HO3, and a main-belt comet, named 133P, said Liu Jizhong, director of the Lunar Exploration and Space Program Center of the China National Space Administration (CNSA).

He said the mission is still under discussion. According to the current plan, a probe will be sent to fly around asteroid 2016HO3 and then land on it to collect samples.

Then the probe will fly back to the proximity of Earth, and a return capsule will be released to bring the samples back to Earth.

www.xinhuanet.com...

In addition to these co-orbital asteroids that pass close to Earth, there are many small moons around Saturn and perhaps thousands of co-orbital asteroids that surround Jupiter. Could alien sentinals be "lurking" on any of these celestial bodies?

Jupiter's co-orbital asteroids:

This is a very interesting theory, especially when you factor in the "Tic-Tac UFO Incident," which many people, including myself, think is some sort of an advanced alien probe. In addition, this theory might explain where unexplained UAPs come from. Instead of being piloted by biological entities, UAPs could be advanced, robotic alien probes that are monitoring our social and technological development, waiting for the right time to make their presence known.

You can read Dr. James Benford's March 2019 paper, "Looking for Lurkers: Objects Co-orbital with Earth as SETI Observables," here.

Is ET Lurking in Our Cosmic Backyard with James Benford:

edit on 10/12/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Good thread! S and F.
This has been been a long held belief of mine. It is exactly what we will do, if we survive that long. W-a-y- before we ever send a human interplanetary we will send probes. Just like the moon, Mars, and all the others.
We are driving full size RC cars on Mars right now. Interplanetary travelers would be able to send AI self driving aircraft for sure, so that would be our first contact.
Only question is, were they there observing dinosaurs or cavemen and on their way? Time will tell.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The most interesting part of this is the notion of co-orbitals. I'm guessing most people are not aware of the extent of them. Good information on those, OP. Thanks. However, to assume some sort of aliens are parking there is a giant leap of speculation without a shred of evidence. It's possible, of course, but not something you'd want to hang your hat on at this stage.
edit on 10/12/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I've been thinking for years that our solar system has alien space ships all over. I think sooner than later we will know this for certain. However probes on asteroids and whatnot? Seems unlikely what we know about UFO's/UAP's. Unless the UAP's are not aliens, then I guess hidden alien probes would make sense. But with the capabilities we see with UAV's then they obviously don't need to plant probes on orbiting objects, they can just come down to Earth and do as they please.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

I am conflicted in my belief that "Humans" have known we came from "them" for a long time.

Why probe what we already know.

Their not sharing their Knowledge with us..Damn Egypt.

S&F..Nice work

edit on 12-10-2019 by Sabrechucker because: add

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Great thread!

Just like the good old days on ATS.
Thanks!

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   
When we stop killing each other and warring over ideologies and selfish interests..

They will make themselves known.

That could be another 3000 years at this point. Too many dinosaurs holding on to power vying for control over the masses.

There are many ways a civilization of conscious intelligence can live and thrive.

We choose war, materialistic obsessions, and raping the planet without proper restoration.

So not any time soon.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

I appreciate when we apply human ideals to ET opinion.

Really makes a lot of sense.

This Elementalist guy is an expert on ET policy.

As for me, I'll stick to searching, rather than assuming we make some changes on our insignificant rock in our politics that will "attract" someone.
OP's thread has the right idea. Make no assumptions, and be willing to look.

I don't personally care about the politics of an ant hill, and if an ant colony made a unanimous decision to make their hill a self sustaining utopia, my boot wouldn't care.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 03:06 AM
link   
In my free time I am working on a sci-fi comic. Since I started it I have thought much about how a interplanetary community and rules would look like.

These are all not new ideas.

When we were living in tribes, we would have outposts to watch our perimeters. What I would do if I was a tribes-men and discovered a indigenous, warlike tribe that rapes the environment? I would send out a small group to keep an eye on them constantly. Maybe just one man or two, it would depend on how many we could spare.

They would give me updates on their progress and weapons and abilities. I would want to know if these ferals achieve to make fire and if they can handle it.

Now exchange fire for warpdrive or light speed travel. I read somewhere that a craft going lightspeed would leave a devastating trail in its path. I would want to know if some indigenous people invented dangerous stuff like that and playing around with it in my front-yard.

Imagine self replicating robots / probes. Dangerous stuff for all of us in the universe. It is difficult to make conclusions about a imaginary alien society, but some things are universal and will be the same for everyone.

Tactical warfare and the things I wrote above with looking out for dangers in the surrounding. The romantic thought about some universal law enforcement agency some have considered about, could be true or not. It could be on its way or we are already past. We could be the remains of the last intelligent life or we could be in the middle, or one of the youngest.

As long as we do not have contact with extraterrestrial life, we have no idea how it really is.

Where is the border for them though? Fusion? Fission? Manipulation of space and time?
edit on 13-10-2019 by Oleandra88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

Where is the border for them though? Fusion? Fission? Manipulation of space and time?

Egads! They've achieved FTL drive -- quick, spin their existence off into a parallel universe!

Maybe that explains the Mandela Effect. Off to eat some Corn Flakez

Cheers

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Vallée and Keel both suspect[ed] the origin of the UFO/entity phenomena was local vice interstellar. Could be a lot of things under the ocean we are not aware of.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
What if they are just our robot nannies keeping watch over us.
After all , they brought us here...

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Did I strike a chord?

Did you just call our "rock" insignificant? The only known source and Origin of conscious intelligence is insignificant?

Keep searching. We are making progress in that department..
You refusing to digest the idea that an advanced species would be cautious about our political stances and bi polar ideologies is ignorant at best.

We are more than an ant hill. Your boot is as insignificant as the holes in your thought process..

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
When we stop killing each other and warring over ideologies and selfish interests..

They will make themselves known.

That could be another 3000 years at this point. Too many dinosaurs holding on to power vying for control over the masses.

There are many ways a civilization of conscious intelligence can live and thrive.

We choose war, materialistic obsessions, and raping the planet without proper restoration.

So not any time soon.

This is what I have thought for many years 👍🏻

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
it would be easier for them to place satellites orbiting earth and close by all the time than placing them on a far away rock
after all with all that junk surrounding earth who would notice them

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

But that junk is just recently there. If we entertain the idea of alien probes from outer space, I can get behind the idea they do not need optical stuff.

At least they would have far better lenses or antennas for whatever they want to record than we have.

They came from a different solar system. It is like saying you drive across the USA to go to the zoo and that it matters if you take the parking spot two slots closer to the entrance of the zoo. After you traveled 4.000.000 m, those 10m do not matter and are maybe not even worth the problems they may bring.
edit on 13-10-2019 by Oleandra88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Hi Oleandra88,

Something to consider. Many instances of sudden winds before "craft" were spotted by people.

Not sure they traveled so "far" ... more like they suddenly entered our reality from other-where.

But just my opinion.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

You mean like pushing away the air to all sides?

Interesting, I can think of a way to detect cloaked UFOs, it there is a way to monitor sudden air pressure changes.
There has to be a distinctive curve how fast and how much the air is displaced in relation to the size, like a signature.

Thinking further, if they pop into existence from a different dimension or out of a different universe, they may not be able to pop in slowly so that would be a dead giveaway.

I already got a solution for this, pop into existence in vacuum, then enter atmosphere.
That is, if it is not just safer to do it and "forget about the dumb humans trying to track/shoot down us. Too slow for us so we do not care if they get we are here. There is a bigger chance they shoot us down when we enter atmosphere so who cares.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   

You mean like pushing away the air to all sides?

Genau

Off the top of my head, this has happened in at least two instances I can think of.

Think of a craft with some kind of globe-shaped field surrounding it. It materializes in our atmosphere: the air that was in that space has to go somewhere, and quickly -- "wind out of nowhere".

Cheers

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2
Kind of what you describe is the part of the drive that enables instant jumps to everywhere in any time, in the comic I am working at. I call it the infinity drive.

Imagine you can violently shake something so the universes laws can somehow not track it anymore and has to reestablish the location and other properties in that something. And that gives you the possibility to sneak in a different location. Bam you teleport out from the small infinity into reality. Think a 3D cube net spanning space and now fill the single cubes with 4D cubes (tesseract). You pop out the 4D cube into 3D space. Before you disturbed a single 4D cube so the universe was kind of "wait a minute, there can not be unreal( 3.1, 5.6, 73.4) locations and you trick it to jump to 31, 56, 734, for example.

I will upload it to myats when it is finished, someday.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join