It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Disney racist/ sexist neow?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
We all know Disney is the wokest. They have cut trails for diversity, inclusiveness,and gender equality with their recent cinematic offerings.

But oops! Sometimes that just doesn't pay the bills. In Woke Disney's latest move, they are erasing one of their least popular characters, Rose Tico, from images, toys, and clothes. They shoehorned her in, and now they're air-brushing her out

All blame of course lies with racist, sexist, incels like me posting from my grandmama's basement instead of buying more Star Wars merch ^_^

Kathleen Kennedy said so!

edit on 12-10-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

You can find old Tico figures in bargain bins everywhere. Rey isn't selling all that good either.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Haha...

Boys don't play with girl action figures and girls don't play with action figures...

Who didn't see this coming?

Disney will kill off marvel next....

Get woke, go broke...

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
People want good stories, not woke characters.

Rey and Rose might be interesting if they were more than two dimensional woke icons in crappy stories designed to show how empowered they are against the patriarchy.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I thought Leia was plenty popular, but she was also a real character too.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Everyone loved Leia. And Billy Dee as Lando.

I'm sorry but casting a non-white, non-male actor/actress does not equate character development. Someone needs to let Disney know...

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Yeah, Leia was great.
She was part of a whole cast of characters that complemented each other.
They all had strengths and weaknesses.

Something the new characters do not do.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Star Wars has sucked since the first trilogy was over. They have terrible story telling with exceptional music that makes you feel like the movies and acting are better than they actually are.
edit on 2019/10/12 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

This whole little “racist /sexist panic “ is just sill as can be...

A) basically all of the companies we are talking about , all the politicians and all the rich and powerful peope are white Christian males... so the thought that all these people are in a vast conspiracy to demonize their own demographic is just hilarious...

B) it is about marketing/money, not morals.. big corporations do not give their feelings a vote lol....

They run from ALL controversy no matter what side get dropped..

Comic books and such have constantly role reversed and sex flipped , exc... literally throwing whatever at the wall to see what sticks..

The only thing new is that young conspiracy types are allowing themselves to get played.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I agree with some(Jeremy, Quartering) that it's not removing her that is really a problem or insulting, but by putting the slurm monster that nobody's ever heard of in her place is downright cruel.

ETA: In the end though it's just amusing mis-steps of a failed company/franchise. It will all be gone in 5 years, death by wokeness.
edit on 12-10-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

So show us on the doll where the rich white Christian male touched you...

I'd say you are butt-hurt about it, but that might just bring up bad memories so I'll leave that out.

It's the fault of white Christian males that the left has been in PC overload mode for a generation now?

How's that conspiracy work, exactly?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Who?

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

The problem was that they made her a shallow, uninteresting character like her sex and racial demographic made her interesting.

The other problem is that her character was an excuse to abort Finn's development as a character even though the end of that arc would actually have seen him sacrificing himself heroically.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

Who says it's a conspiracy to ruin these films?
They are totally clueless what their demographic wants and it shows.

Get woke, go broke..

And the comic book flips you are talking about all bombed.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

The problem was that they made her a shallow, uninteresting character like her sex and racial demographic made her interesting.

The other problem is that her character was an excuse to abort Finn's development as a character even though the end of that arc would actually have seen him sacrificing himself heroically.

No point in calling out her horrible character in a horrible film from part of a decaying franchise.

There might be more to this, what's her ethnic background? and how does that play in China?

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Lots of Hollywood movies pander to the Chinese audience.
Especially the blockbuster type wanting a payday from China.

An Asian character could have been a way to do that.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Lots of Hollywood movies pander to the Chinese audience.
Especially the blockbuster type wanting a payday from China.

An Asian character could have been a way to do that.

Unless it's one they don't like and wouldn't want them to be portrayed positively.

I'm sure all asian people don't like one another, surely they have issues with certain groups from other countries.

Maybe she was the "wrong" asian for china.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Star Wars relied on nostalgia and I don't think China had much of that for Star Wars.

No clue how they view other Asians though...

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Oh, there's plenty of terrible in the film, but in this thread we're talking about Rose.

We could talk about Admiral Holdo, Leia Poppins, Bitter Old Man Luke, or MaRey Sue.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   

People want good stories, not woke characters.

Rey and Rose might be interesting if they were more than two dimensional woke icons in crappy stories designed to show how empowered they are against the patriarchy.

Exactly. They are wrote flat and don't undergo the Hero's Journey in any meaningful way. What is there to care about with Rose?

What chord does she strike with the Stars Wars Fan? I guess you can say that about most of this Trilogy's new characters.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join