It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have webbed toes, could this be an inherited trait from an 'aquatic' human race?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
My dad has them too and my aunt even has some webbing on her fingers, they both inherited it from their mom. Does anyone think it is possible that once upon a time there was a water race or civilization whose people spent a lot of time in the water, perhaps Atlantis, where this trait thrived? Also I was swimming before I could walk could this be an inherited instinct too?

[edit on 7-3-2005 by jrod]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
water tribe in aisa.....where r u from? Neitherland? or asia?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
florida, USA. ill have go with neitherland and i dont have ne asian heritage.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Lets see some pics man! Take a shower first though and clip them nails. lol but seriously bust out the pics. Is it Kevin Costner style or just a little extra skin?

EDIT: Do NOT post pics, I just did a Yahoo search and got grossed out. No offense but I think its merely a defect.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by CmptrN3rd5]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I think the main problem with this "aquatic ape" theory is that salt water is really, really bad for us. You would think that if we used to hang around in the sea so much we would have adapted to it.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Nah just a byproduct of living in florida (the swimming not the webbing) I too could swim before I could walk, (sit a horse too for that matter doesn't mean I'm half centaur:lol

Fact is in florida we are surrounded by water, if you dont teach your kids to swim early its just plain negligence IMO.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Nah just a byproduct of living in florida

I'm in Florida, not a native and not planing on staying and If itsn't a swimming pool I dont go in it. Too much weird stuff in the ocean. I used to go boogie boarding at Daytona and Ormand a few years back. Shark goes by a few feet in front of me. Not a dolphin, a blue and white shark, fin included. I pretty much walked on top of the water to get out of there. Never went back. Not to mention the sea lice, crabs, and jellyfish. eeek.

And going into lakes or rivers here, no way. I went canoing and had an alligator traffic jam around the boat. Where I come from, the scariest fish is a Muskie, and they have never nothered anyone I've heard off. So in a few years you'll have one less Yankee to worry about.

As far as webbing, I looked it up and man, I got mucho mental/physical problems but that deffinitely isn't something I'd want. Have you been to a doctor about that? Is it harmless?
- Peace out-

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Born and raised in Florida here....Daytona Beach, 5th generation native. My family is from the Dixie County area near Punmpkin Swamp.....I learned to swim early, but I am not all that fond of it....and no web fingers or feet here....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FatherLukeDuke
I think the main problem with this "aquatic ape" theory is that salt water is really, really bad for us. You would think that if we used to hang around in the sea so much we would have adapted to it.

we not just ape...we also reptilian in nature...

we shed skin, have a reptilian brain, and skin wrinkle...etc.

jrod:
You are probably the descendent of the mermaid species (not like what you see in movies)...

EDIT: spelling errors...

"Shed" and "wrinkle"?

Thanks Lady

[edit on 7-3-2005 by mwen]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwen

we shade skin, have a reptilian brain, and skin winckle...etc.

What do you mean we "shade" and "winkle"?

EDIT: Oh!!! Do you mean "Shed" and "wrinkle"? That is not indicative of being reptilian...many animals shed as a way of renewing cells and all skin will wrinkle!

[edit on 3/7/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
isn't that a genetic thing???? i need to go google..........but i think its called
polydactyl...........that includes extra digits of fingers and toes AND the webbing...........

but its a genetic ananomly............doesn't mean that you're decended from atlanteans though...................

angie

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Webbed fingers and toes are called syndactyly and is relatively common. It is usually corrected through surgery when affecting the fingers but left alone in the toes. I doubt it's a throwback to any aquatic humonoid life but could indicate a link to amphibian life.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
while a fetus develops, the hands and feet form and the toes and fingers grow outward. sometimes the digits don't seperate. It is nothing more than a "malfunction" of the process. As said, it is usually corrected early in life.

that help Aquaman?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Yes, as Crakeur said, it's genetic. No, it's not a "throw back" to a previous evolutionary stage.

Nor was there an "aquatic" human race, in spite of the insistance of the lone researcher who promotes the "aquatic ape" theory.

Sydndactyly/polydactyly are often signs of other problems -- however, it would appear that just the harmless webbing of digits appears in your family and not more serious genetic problems:
www.shands.org...

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Byrd]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
They are definatley not a defect, just a little bit of extra skin. My 2nd and 3rd toes on my right foot are more webbed than on my left and my 3rd and 4th &4th and 5th toes have more webbing on my left foot so I guess they are balanced out. Look for yourselves:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
webbing on her fingers, they both inherited it from their mom.

Its a 'common' mutation.

a water race or civilization whose people spent a lot of time in the water, perhaps Atlantis, where this trait thrived?

No.

swimming before I could walk

All humans can swim at birth.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
They are definatley not a defect, just a little bit of extra skin. My 2nd and 3rd toes on my right foot are more webbed than on my left and my 3rd and 4th &4th and 5th toes have more webbing on my left foot so I guess they are balanced out. Look for yourselves:

Dude, I hate to tell you but those aren't webbed - those are fused.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
you spend 9 months in fluid. you can swim at birth. you can actually do a water delivery when you have a baby.

while I don't like the term, a defect is more or less what it is. the webbing should not be there. as I said earlier, your genetic makeup allows for this to happen. the gene that does it is probably deemed a mutation of sorts. no different that the forked tongue people or the claw feet.

now, if you had gills you might be able to claim to be a desendant from atlantis. without them, you are simply a dude with some fused toes.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I believe there was actually some research done showing that if one actually swims more, they'll develop more webbing in their toes during a matter of just a few years!

I don't think the aquatic ape theory is very sound, as Byrd mentioned. Seems like a fairly quick adaptation actually.

BTW, how many of us are there is FL? We need to all get together sometime!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I have webbed toes also, but not as bad as the pic above, my dad also has webbed toes. His are worse then mine, but not as bad as the pic. That is just odd. Kinda crazy even. I live in Canada, but like 8 Generations ago my family was based in Scotland

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join