It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tao is not God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I recently posted a thread where I said people who do not believe in God have a precise definition for the word God. These people who are mostly atheists define God where the meaning of the word God must have limitations and boundaries like an "object" to be experienced in reality order for God to be considered to be real. Then I made the point all the major religions I have read use words that represent ideas without boundaries. In the list of words I used was the word "Tao". Someone responded amused by the idea I was saying Tao equals God. I did not respond at the time. But at the time I did not mean Tao equals God. What I said was religions or spiritual ideas use words that represent parts of reality that do NOT have boundaries or limits. The idea of a word representing something meaningful in reality not having any boundaries simply does not compute for types of people who presume "objects" are all that exists in reality was the point I was trying to make.

I've always been fascinated by Taoism.

"If this seems complex, the reason is because Tao is both simple and complex. It is complex when we try to understand it, and simple when we allow ourselves to experience it. Trying to understand Tao is like closing the shutters of a window before looking for a shadow. We might close the shutters to prevent anyone from discovering our treasure, but the same shutters prevent the moonlight from entering the room. All there is in the room is darkness, and in total darkness we cannot find the shadow, no matter how hard or diligently we seek."

When I think about the Tao I envision a semantic envelope around my mind where thoughts coming into my mind are pieces of yang and the space between my thoughts are the yin.

I think the trinity of having a three phase idea is a classification of ideas called a Unity of Opposites. Essentially for meaning to have any meaning at all you have to have three things. Two things in tension and an observer. For example, "up" cannot be defined without "down" and neither can be understood without a point of reference we call the "observer".

Unity of Opposites

So in a way I do equate the word Tao to God but in the following context of a three part trinity:

Time = Tao = Christ-Consciousness-Holy-Ghost-God
mass = Yin = body-of-Christ
Energy = Yang = blood-of-Christ

The words "time", "Tao", and "God" all have the same property of not being able to held in your hands like an object. These words have no boundaries and form the bases of how we experience reality.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Yah, Yah, I know TAO is not the name of god

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I've come to see Wu Chi as a 2 dimensional representation of a 3 dimensional Torus. Small yin and small yang being either end of the central vortex.

Taoist thought is remarkable.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   

That's a well written post.

My only response is that while time is not an object, it does have some boundaries in order to calculate it. God lives outside of time.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The Tao just simply is, where God is just simply "Am".

Taoism does use alot of proverbs though, which is kind of a kin to riddles or an attempt at critical thinking, even though it does have that zen tone to it. It more or less about being grounded then trying to be high like the mighty or Al.

Western thought main problem when comparing it to the Tao from my pov is the aesthetics, where God forgot that he was a metaphor of an absolute, while the Tao just simply just that...an absolute that knows it is a metaphor.
edit on 12-10-2019 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2019 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Tao is equivalent to the Greek phusis, which is where we get the word physics. It simply means nature. One can learn to utilize the Tao by simply observing nature. Its only a mystery to those who walk around ignorant of their surroundings (which includes most people). This is why every culture has their own functional system of occult knowledge.

Christ, the knowledge of Christ, and the Blood of Christ are beyond the Tao (beyond metaphysics, Relativity, and Quantum Mechanics). The mystery of Christ is the mystery that was revealed through Jesus alone. Before Jesus, the believers of YHWH knew only a shadow of Christ. It wasn't until YHWH incarnated into Jesus that the knowledge of Christ was unveiled.

To know the Tao, simply observe nature. To know Christ, inquire of God.

I only post this because I'm tired of how the New Age theosophy tries to identify elements Christ with ideas like the Tao. Its dishonest, and really cringy.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   

youre right, tao is not god, but above god.

the christian god has a personality. the tao does not.

the christian god can be understood by the mind. the tao can not.

the tao is transcendent, above all things, and treats all things as straw dogs.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

I only post this because I'm tired of how the New Age theosophy tries to identify elements Christ with ideas like the Tao. Its dishonest, and really cringy.

i agree with this part, but disagree with all the rest.

the tao is transcendent, beyond the mind. you can watch nature all you want, but not know the tao.

christ was human. you can understand human. the christian god has a personality. you can understand a personality.

the tao has neither. the tao is. the tao is above human conception. it has no personality. it has no will. it just is.

a god is to be transcendent. above all things human. all the gods, hebrew, greek, roman, celtic, hindu, nordic, et. al. are not transcendent. they are nothing but elevated, amplified humans with all the human wants and struggles.

you cannot reason the tao. the tao must be experienced. the tao must be lived. the tao is above personality. to give oneself to the tao is to give up everything, and gain everything.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: stormson

I think you have that backwards. Here's why.

Tao is simply the fluid dynamics of reality on the most fundamental level. Its pressure mediation. What goes around comes around. Give and it shall be given. Judge not lest you be judged yourself. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. There is nothing incomprehensible about that. Tao is occulted causality.

On the other hand, that which is incomprehensible is randomness. Like the random distribution of prime numbers, the incommensurability of irrational numbers, the random energy fluctuations of the quantum vacuum. Random occurrences produce causality, but it can't be said that causality produces randomness.

So what is randomness? Some believe it is order which is too complex to comprehend. I disagree. I think randomness is that which is unknowable. It is volition. God has volition, and so do most (if not all) living creatures. It is God's volition which drives the random fluctuations of the vacuum. It is our collective volition from which the Collective Unconscious emerges.

Try to define volition. You can say its the ability to randomly choose. Try to define randomness. You can say its the product of volitional choice. The definition is circular because there is a barrier that we cannot break. Goedel's theorem.

Tao is knowable to anyone. God's will, on the other hand, must be revealed by God alone.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The words "time", "Tao", and "God" all have the same property of not being able to held in your hands like an object. These words have no boundaries and form the bases of how we experience reality.

There is only this that is eternally.... what is appearing is arising without condition and names arise making believe there are separate things.

Time for instance is just a word that arises presently...... but it makes believe there is something other.

There is no time as such.... time is a word only...

Tao sounds like now and now never starts and never stops.

Everything appears and disappears now.

But the separate person needs to believe in time........ without time could there be any thing separate?

Language and storifying (the word) produce/create a whole world of things that never ever existed.

edit on 14-10-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I listen to friends speak about an event 6 months in the future and about what will happen when such and such does something and how they are going to respond and not let them get away with it..... it is not happening but the whole drama is affecting the body now.

Stories about things in time and space happen now and instead of being with what actually is there is conflict going on...... what I will do when blah blah blah ... but they are simply fairy stories.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Whoops double post

edit on 14-10-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join