It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How's it going in real life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So I'm wondering what do real everyday people think about the current state of political affairs here in the USA and other countries.

Were one to use ATS as an example; they would have to concluded that "everyone" is overly preoccupied by political events and that they have very strong opinions on the different political subject that aries. The idea that the next US civil war is just around the corner wouldn't seem that far fetched.

But in real life I don't know anyone who takes any of this that seriously. Besides my close friends and family members I wouldn't even know what most people's political affiliations are. And maybe I have one cousin that likes to debate this stuff as much as I do.

So are we, here on ATS and other similar social media platforms, in our own unique bubble? Not a left or right bubble... but a bubble where we take politics way way more seriously than the common man?

And does that in turn cloud our judgment on the importance of these political issues?

Or do I just run in some boring and uneducated circles in real life?

What are your real life anecdotes?

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

It's the undercurrent.

If this stuff were so unimportant in real life, you wouldn't have so many news stories about it. You wouldn't have a middle school girl in my metro area getting taking out in handcuffs for a finger gun incident and charged with criminal threats.

People wouldn't fly into a hysterical tizzy if something resembling a banana peel noose was spotted in a tree.

No. No one walks around discussing this stuff in real life, but it's in more folks' minds than you would like.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
People here, left/right/center/apolitical(though politically commentating) are "in the know" as far as following a topic that most of the US really isn't even involved with.

Taking discussions here and attempting to recreate them in real life is no different than someone with a fringe hobby(like shoe shining) trying to go around to the general public and strike up an in depth conversation on the topic.

Most people, don't care and just aren't involved in it.

Rightfully so. Because most people are concerned about their own lives/families/careers and what ACTUALLY affects them. Orange man bad or Trump Messiah isn't even remotely on their radar. Especially when you realize that once they step outside of the above mentioned, other "hobbies" like movies, music, the latest tech gadgets and other nonsense consumes their lives.

Hell, even most of us here, in our real day to day lives, care little for this inane banter.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Find what detracts from said person's wallet, find what they actually care about.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's the undercurrent.

If this stuff were so unimportant in real life, you wouldn't have so many news stories about it. You wouldn't have a middle school girl in my metro area getting taking out in handcuffs for a finger gun incident and charged with criminal threats.

People wouldn't fly into a hysterical tizzy if something resembling a banana peel noose was spotted in a tree.

No. No one walks around discussing this stuff in real life, but it's in more folks' minds than you would like.

Good point

But that girl and the people around her are tens in a sea of hundreds millions.

Is it in the news because its important to so many of us? Or is it in the news because those that control the news want it to be important?

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

No one talks about it. We all try to avoid it.

But it steers us in more ways than we want to think about.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   

They want to steer us. If it isn't important, then stuff like that makes it important whether we want to talk about it, think about it, or not.

I'll bet her parents never even thought about teaching their little girl about the evils of finger guns, and now she has a criminal record because the school board did.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Most people, don't care and just aren't involved in it.

Yet they are.. just are too stupid to look at their tax bills.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I sometimes fantasize what would it be like if I try to have an ATS level discussion with someone one in real life?

Sufficed to say I don't ever make the attempt. I don't want people to think I'm crazy.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

I sometimes fantasize what would it be like if I try to have an ATS level discussion with someone one in real life?

Sufficed to say I don't ever make the attempt. I don't want people to think I'm crazy.

I think you could make better use of your fantasies.......

I've had some good discussions with people, initially, it usually falls apart at some point. Everyone, at some point, has a "personal" stake in their opinion.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

Kinda funny, that.

My brother signed me up on this site because "ATS level discussions" were essentially what the family talked about while getting drunk around a campfire.

I had lurked here for a few years before I actually started using the account.

Never had the guts to actually say anything on here for some time.

But the discussions that I had in reality eventually I took here.

Of course, it may be that my family is... different.

But I've had the same discussions with others in reality as well.

I once spent a night shift with a guy that I didn't know on a wellsite fully fleshing out the evils of the Fed... in detail.

Bar discussions of Sasquatch encounters are commonplace in the area I live in.

Political discussions are rampant right now in my world because I'm in the oil industry and the Democratic side of the political spectrum doesn't do us any favors.

As far as what most people in reality think, I think there is indeed an undercurrent of uncertainty now.

After all, our government seems to be hell-bent on destroying themselves and to be honest, in a perfect world we would talk about politicians about once every two years.

Times are changing and people fear change.

My 2 cents.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I think everything is going great!

I think our life purpose and the reason why we are here to experience greatness in nature, in ourselves, and in other people. When we experience greatness, it brings us slightly closer to what it would feel like to experience the absolute perfection and wholeness that is God. It's a great feeling. I feel great!

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:20 PM
link   
My 88 year old blind father has been making our whole family have ATS discussions around the dinner table since I was 14, I am 58 now.

Sometimes he would give us word problems sometimes news issue's, He always said the more you use your brain the more wrinkles it gets. (For some reason he thought that meant smarts)

He still debates in his coffee club every morning.

I didn't know my family was different until I Joined the USMC and compared notes.

My mother was always the final judge.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati
My 88 year old blind father has been making our whole family have ATS discussions around the dinner table since I was 14, I am 58 now.

Sometimes he would give us word problems sometimes news issue's, He always said the more you use your brain the more wrinkles it gets. (For some reason he thought that meant smarts)

I didn't know my family was different until I Joined the USMC and compared notes.

No wonder we get along.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Working in a collegiate environment, the students do not often engage Staff/Faculty in political discussions. But I hear snippets in the halls. People talk, but usually engage individuals who they are friendly with, and probably will agree with.

In the last month I had a co-worker bring up Climate change deniers (I do not agree with the idea that humankind is so advanced that we can have power over the climate).

People talk with peers that they are comfortable with. Or they talk online.

It's what it is. I am just thankful this website allows all point of views.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   
My brother in law lives in Ca. Life long democrat, still mourning Hillary. He visits us maybe 3 times a year, and this is when we get to talk some politics. Civil discussions of course. I love him and respect him as a person but I cannot understand him.

The point is nothing will change his opinion, everything even remotely factual is met with huge whatabouts. His despise is so strong he cannot even consider another point of view. I can laugh at both sides but he's too deeply hurt by it.
Every time we end the discussion with "time will tell".
Most of my friends don't care about politics, neither was I until recent elections. And to be honest I don't like so much to debate as I like to observe. I like to hear and see how everything is spun and distorted and promoted for the masses; it's just mind blowing.

The rest of the people I know have a more simplistic opinion, "I like Trump or I hate Trump" and don't care to analyze any further.
I think the media know what they are doing when spreading dirt around even when false; the first impression is the strongest. People have short attention span, catch a title here and there, a few words and the opinion is formed. Much harder to change afterwards. People don't have time to dig for the truth, especially in politics.

My family of course think I'm kind of loosing my mind with all this politics lol I wouldn't be surprised to see an intervention any time soon. But I'm enjoying myself; politics was never so crazy and I get to laugh so much; is the best reality show ever.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I don’t care about politics as long as it doesn’t affect my life. The problem is our Government likes to meddle with people which makes participation in politics a mandatory act of self-defense.

edit on 2019/10/12 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati

Unfortunately family and teachers seem far more inclined to be telling young people what to think to such a degree that they no longer know how to think. In 10 or 15 years I'm not sure a youth leaving high school will be able to pass a Turing Test.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Yes, the obsession clouds judgement. It’s bloodsport at this point.

This also isn’t new. Political corruption or exploitation has gone on nearly forever in history. It more recently became sporting to have all things turn political and politicians trading body blows constantly making it a topic that grabs eyeballs and sells as revenue.

I honestly don’t think people should get so worked up on political topics unless they’re going to do something about it and run for office. I’ll never do that personally as I won’t put my family through that, I dislike social media and would ultimately have to turn into someone I’m not.

So, I see news about politics all the time but largely confine my reading to major political events. The rest is automotive/science/sports journalism, researching subjects of interest to me and the ET phenomenon.

Disconnecting from the political madness made me dramatically happier. I suggest you do the same!

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Politics, as well as, religion & economics have a direct relation to one's everyday life. For instance, it now takes 2 heads of household's income to support a family instead of 1 income. This is due to the Federal Reserve Bank taking us off the Gold Standard, slowly at 1st since 1913 & suddenly in 1971, as well as, the CIA propagated feminist women's liberation & free love movements of the 1960s. This created more revenue for the federal government, since men & women now both have to work at full time jobs & are both paying taxes. Women use to be homemakers & involved in taking care of children after school. They were also involved in local community organizations like churches. Before this money maintained or gained value over time, now it loses value over time. The U.S. dollar has lost @ 95% of its value since 1971, increasing the ongoing wealth gap between the rich & poor. In accordance with the U.S. constitution, congress is supposed to regulate/maintain the weights & measures of money (gold & silver). Congress has not upheld its responsibility since 1913 when the Federal Reserve Bank was established, which is not federal & has no reserves.

Abortion & birth control also play a significant role in one's everyday life. Women who became pregnant & who were without husband were once shunned by society & their families. That's no longer a stigma. Now irresponsible women are rewarded for their bad behaviors. Abortion is now seen as a form of birth control by many men & women. Most women also now choose to have sex with irresponsible men (con-artists a.k.a. confidence artists), leaving responsible men in the shadows. When women choose to procreate with con-artists, more con-artists are created, creating more people like Obama or Trump.

Women are also now rewarded for their bad behaviors though family courts & the welfare system. Women now have the option for goverment to be the new male/father figure to them and their children. So now while single mothers are working at their full time job, government is indoctrinating their children through the public school system & MSM programming. Imo, this is why there are so many school shootings by young people, because they have no father figure in their lives & never learned how to control their aggression properly. This in conjunction with psychotropic drugs is a recipe to create school shooters.

My daily life is pretty good. I've got a higher net worth than 90% of people my age, I own a condo without a mortgage, with a dock slip 5 minutes away from the ocean & I have a great job. All that being said, there are many disenfranchised men & cat women being created by current politics & economics. Religion is being ignored by most.
edit on 12-10-2019 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join