It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the last 19 years workers wages have been cut dramatically by inflation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: JAGStorm

Ah, so that median worker statistic went right over your head apparently. It's literally in the title of the link I sourced, yet you ignored it and said "just make more money!".

940% vs. 12% and you guys scream "why not just make more money!". Classic. 😂

Do you now what median means?

How many CEOs are there in that study? F500 so 500 of the CEOs of largest companies in the world. Compared to what? the median of the millions of workers?

that is pretty meaningless comparing 500 of the highest paid people to millions of workers. Also CEO comp has changed drastically with much of it being equity based. How much as the stock market increased since 1978 in percentage?

That is like comparing A list actors making $20 million a film to ALL the two bit actors who still wait tables hoping to make it big.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: dfnj2015

However, the vast majority of goods are not that much more expensive. In fact, you are actually getting MORE for your money.

Think about technology. TVs, Cellphones, Computers, etc are all exponentially better. Think about how much nicer cars are nowadays, even budget cars. Safety features, technology, etc.

You can't just look at inflation without considering the improvement of those goods.

That's wonderful anecdotal evidence. Where's your real evidence? Something quantifiable perhaps?

I gave several real world examples if you bothered to read the thread...

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

I'm very frugal, I don't live above my means yet I still live paycheck to paycheck.

CEO compensation has grown 940% since 1978. Typical worker compensation has risen only 12% during that time

That's totally not an issue though, right?

So? Your life choices have zilch to do with other people.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Ah, so that median worker statistic went right over your head apparently. It's literally in the title of the link I sourced, yet you ignored it and said "just make more money!".

940% vs. 12% and you guys scream "why not just make more money!". Classic. 😂

Yes just make more money. If people spent half their time doing things to
-get more education
-get more training
-looking for better opportunities

as they do posting links online, they would be OK and not living paycheck to paycheck.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Food. You had to cook everything back in the day. Now, everyone wants prepared meals and organic fruits / veggies grown by elves under rainbows fertilized with unicorn tears and wonder why one apple cost $1.50.

When I went to daycare as a kid, it was often staying at some retired grandmother's house. Now parents want their kids in Montessori or some other fancy Harvard for 5 year olds with organic lunches and yoga during recess.

People bought small starter homes. 2 or 3 bedrooms with 1 bath. Pfft. Now everyone needs a 5,000 square foot McMansion designed by Chip and Joanna Gaines.

Milk just came out my nose...

People are staring at me now I’m laughing so hard.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

940% vs 12% and your response is "who cares? make more money". 😂

Those CEO's choices have affected me, they're greedy and have used their money to influence laws that affect me. But I don't have any reason to complain. 😂

Yeah right.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

"Pick yourself up by the bootstraps!" 🤡

If you think it's easier done than said then maybe you need to rethink some things. 940% vs 12%, yet its "fair". Yeah right, you may believe those lies but I don't. 😂

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   

that is pretty meaningless comparing 500 of the highest paid people to millions of workers. Also CEO comp has changed drastically with much of it being equity based. How much as the stock market increased since 1978 in percentage?

That is like comparing A list actors making $20 million a film to ALL the two bit actors who still wait tables hoping to make it big.

I'm basically upper middle income with about 40K fed taxes per year, and after a life time of 401k savings I can say I'm a few million times richer than over 50% of America only because I have savings and they do not. I know people who make 300k a year with no savings too, so when people talk disparity it really comes down to how much does one person save over another.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

If you think it's easier done than said then maybe you need to rethink some things. 940% vs 12%, yet its "fair". Yeah right, you may believe those lies but I don't

The second an adult realizes life isn't fair, I mean really really accepts it, and that it never will be fair, is the first step toward bettering themselves.
edit on 11-10-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

940% vs 12% and your response is "who cares? make more money". 😂

Those CEO's choices have affected me, they're greedy and have used their money to influence laws that affect me. But I don't have any reason to complain. 😂

Yeah right.

What CEO's are you talking about? Boeing's CEO is about 15 million with 1.3 million as salary and 13 million as bonus...I bet his bonus is almost nothing this next year after the 737-max issue. The average wage there is 86,000, so do you consider that as extreme differences as his decisions affects 200,000 jobs?

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

What CEO's are you talking about? Boeing's CEO is about 15 million with 1.3 million as salary and 13 million as bonus...I bet his bonus is almost nothing this next year after the 737-max issue. The average wage there is 86,000, so do you consider that as extreme differences as his decisions affects 200,000 jobs?

It is too easy to be angry at people that make a lot regardless of the work & responsibility.
It is difficult to look at ones own shortcomings and choices.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Star and flag. One of the few that actually understands whats going on.

It's the increase of money circulation. Dolla dolla bill ya'll has taken over and the C-Note ($100) is in wider circulation than the $1 bill.

You got the virtuous oil money cycle, not to mention other countries using it in lieu of their own. You had have banks ordering billions of notes which are shipped overseas to shore up their crappy fiat.

Man, when it goes boom, all that cash comes back home...

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I asked what is a living wage and all I get is 20 BUCKS AN HOUR as a minimum, or about 42,000 per year. When I ask what makes a living wage no one knows and we all need to understand it is all about cost, and why is 42,000 that cost?

1. Rent... I had roommates until my 30s so privacy is a privilege. 1300.00 average nation wide two bedroom.
2. Utilities 200.00

Get a roommate and it is 750.00 per month

3. transportation, lets get a decent 15,000 car at 300 per month, 1600.00 insurance or 135 per month, another 100 per month for gas.

Lets call it 600 per month

4. Food 250 a month or less

So right there is 1600 a month for basics that could still be cut and that leaves over 1400 take home left for a 20 per hour living wage job or 200 on a 12 per hour job. The problem is we haven't factored in single living as a right, phone bill, internet/cable/services etc that are all seen as rights, 30 bucks a week in Starbucks, eat out 1 or 2 times per day, exotic foods outside of the very basics so on and so on... And that is how you get to 20 bucks an hour as seen as the very minimum to live on.

If you had 4 roommates in a house rental, much cheaper car or even shared ride and cut all the extras you can live rather cheap and the funny part is that is how much of the world outside America actually lives whether first world or third world.

edit on 11-10-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I've accepted it for a while now. Thanks for the advice though. I value other things other than money but I still see that money is part of the system and it's extremely biased in certain people's favors, mainly those who can afford to buy the legislation of our representatives.

It's amazing to me that people still choose to ignore the negative influence the rich have on our political and lawmaking processes. I guess ignorance is bliss.
edit on 10/11/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

CEO's in general, those numbers are an average for all CEO's not just one or two that you would like to cherry pick.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

CEO's in general, those numbers are an average for all CEO's not just one or two that you would like to cherry pick.

I don't think the CEO of Boeing is really cherry picking, but anyhow.. many numbers are flawed and are used for bias narratives. Like a person who is a hedge fund manger that makes billions with no one working for him...that type of person might as well live on Mars. Influence of the rich and powerful is something we have had forever and even Communism could not cure it. Haves and haves not will be here forever.

The problem I see is if you are not making a somewhat decent wage by the time you are 30 there are many other factors involved and many have to do with poor choices or maybe mental/physical handicaps, or maybe just lack of will power to get ahead in life. These personal factors play much more directly into ones success or lack of than the rich.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I asked what is a living wage and all I get is 20 BUCKS AN HOUR as a minimum, or about 42,000 per year. When I ask what makes a living wage no one knows and we all need to understand it is all about cost, and why is 42,000 that cost?

1. Rent... I had roommates until my 30s so privacy is a privilege. 1300.00 average nation wide two bedroom.
2. Utilities 200.00

3. transportation, lets get a decent 15,000 car at 300 per month, 1600.00 insurance or 135 per month, another 100 per month for gas.

So right there is 1600 a month for basics that could still be cut and that leaves over 1400 take home left for a 20 per hour living wage job or 200 on a 12 per hour job. The problem is we haven't factored in single living as a right, phone bill, internet/cable/services etc that are all seen as rights, 30 bucks a week in Starbucks, eat out 1 or 2 times per day, exotic foods outside of the very basics so on and so on... And that is how you get to 20 bucks an hour as seen as the very minimum to live on.

If you had 4 roommates in a house rental, much cheaper car or even shared ride and cut all the extras you can live rather cheap and the funny part is that is how much of the world outside America actually lives whether first world or third world.

A big issue is that a lot of people put themselves in a hole that is hard to get out of such as having children out of wedlock or before they can actually afford kids.

One can live on $35k as a single adult fairly easily. Yes, you need to budget and won't have a ton of money for frivolous stuff, but it is definitely doable. The problem is you throw a child in the mix and now you are broke as heck.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

2. Utilities 200.00

A big issue is that a lot of people put themselves in a hole that is hard to get out of such as having children out of wedlock or before they can actually afford kids.

One can live on $35k as a single adult fairly easily. Yes, you need to budget and won't have a ton of money for frivolous stuff, but it is definitely doable. The problem is you throw a child in the mix and now you are broke as heck.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Your source is 'compensation' not pay. It's also cherry picked data. When you only look at the pay of the top of the top CEO's you are not going to get accurate data.

Despite media hype about CEO compensation, the average CEO last year made only $178,400, and got a raise of < 1%

www.aei.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
a reply to: dfnj2015
I agree with this assessment and something I’ve been vocal about many times on this site. Wage increases have not kept up with inflation and have actually decreased dramatically. But there’s always someone saying differently because they’ve been fortunate enough to be part of a small group of people that have received pay increases. This has not been the case for the general public. Certainly hasn’t been true for the construction trade I’ve been involved in for almost forty years.

Buddy of mine said that construction pay is almost the same as is was in the 80s while everything else costs 10 times as much.

Some of the automotive engine repair places pay 15 bucks an hour while they expect you to purchase thousands of dollars in tools. The education required to work on todays engines has also gone up. The backyard mechanic hardly exist anymore.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join