It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not sure what this was!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Riffrafter

A "megger" is a device called a megohmmeter which is used to test for insulation faults in electrical systems. Typically they are used to test the integrity of insulation surrounding wire. However, power transmission lines don't have insulation around the cables, but they do have insulation between the cables and the towers. These are the ceramic insulators you see on power poles which keep the conductors from shorting out to earth ground.

Thank you - I love it when I learn something new, here or elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Ah who knows, but I am pretty sure it involves swamp gas somehow.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: galadofwarthethird
Ah who knows, but I am pretty sure it involves swamp gas somehow.

Or...ALIENS!!

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   
HUH! Maybe....Maybe not. Could be just Bigfoot using the power lines ELF fields to chirp there mating songs over a more long distances and field. Its around that time for hibernation you know. Especially if you life in an areas were there is lots of snow. I would not be disturbing two bigfoot as they are about to get jiggy. Nothing good came of it for most humans who happened upon that pairings.

Or could be Chinese lanterns that got stuck in the powerlines and tripped them up, you know the illegal type of chinese lantern gathering data on how to graze cows.

Or most likely it was Aleins. What are Aleins you say? There like Aliens, only more poetic and less corporeal. There a offshoot of the space jellyfish and plasma critters, and even ball lightning critters are cousins to them.

Or could just be, that maybe you should not stay up so long, most people are asleep at those hours of the night you know? No doubt its got some logical explanation, one that involves, gofers digging at the base of these powerline towers.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 02:28 AM
link   
It's hard to take you seriously when you repeatedly say "ALIENS! like you have your mind made up already.

Your post comes off as an alarmist rather a skeptic trying to make sense of things.

Also you say it went on for 10 minutes ish, and you didn't record the sound? Do you have a cellphone, a camera, voice recorder?

I use to live in the country side too, and heard a weird sound that shocked me. Went outside to investigate, and found a fried squirrel just next to the transformer pole lol.

Be logical and rational. Aliens should be the very last thing...

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Elementalist

Maybe I should have put the "ALIENS" part in green italics to indicate [/sarcasm].

At this point I have no reason to believe the source of the strange sound is aliens any more than virtually any other explanation. It was my feeble attempt at humor. That said, it was a very strange sound, and no, I did not think to record it. My cell phone is an 'alien' to me, and I never think to use it as a tool to accomplish something. I'm just not one of those people who instantly responds to every situation by grabbing their cell phone. In fact, I hate my cell phone, and don't even touch it unless I absolutely have to. I wouldn't even own one of the damn things if I didn't need it for work.

Back to the sound thing... I did a bunch of research last night and wasn't able to solve it, but I did find one thing. Here's a video of the same sound (not quite as prominent as what I heard though). YOu have to listen carefully to hear it over the dork talking though.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It may not be ALIENS. I think that there is a more logical source behind these sounds.
Honestly , I am really curious as to what this might be.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Or could just be, that maybe you should not stay up so long, most people are asleep at those hours of the night you know?

That's when I get up! Actually, it's an hour AFTER I get up in the morning. I normally go to bed at around 8pm and get up at 3:30am.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well the gate alarm we all heard we did think was a bird but was to loud.

Here this is interesting I ran across.

Abstract: Reports of "beeping" sounds emanating apparently from invisible aerial sources were identified with the calls of small owls. Background: Spring 1967 this project received word that a state Department of Civil Defense had been investigating an unidentified sound in an area of the state. Wadsworth telephoned the same day to obtain more complete information about the sound, and to determine whether it might be connected with UFOs. The investigation was being conducted by the warning officer and communications coordinator for the state's Department of Civil Defense, who gave further information. He described the sound as a repetitious beeping signal of practically unvarying period and pitch that had been heard regularly from the same location for a period of several weeks, continuing for hours at a time without interruption.

The most puzzling aspect of the sound was the lack of any visible source. Witnesses had approached the apparent location, only to find that the sound seemed to come from directly overhead. This location was at the top of a hill in a wooded area to which access was difficult. However, local interest in the sound was so high that many individuals had hiked into the area to hear it.

The sound reportedly began at 8:00 p.m. PST each night, and continued until 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. Other aspects that the Civil Defense official reported were: The sound had been heard for about three weeks. It had been heard as far as two miles away from its apparent source. A similar sound (believed by some to be from the same source) had been received on a police patrol car radio at 150 megacycles while the sound was

This :-)

being heard by persons in the above-mentioned area; visual UFO sightings had been reported in the general area of the sound during the same period. One sighting reported by two police officers and several FAA men occurred two days before the reported onset of the sound. A disc-shaped object was reportedly sighted passing overhead beneath an overcast ceiling of 1,000 feet. The sound did not alter perceptibly when people were in the area, even though they made noise, shone lights, or fired guns.

When local time shifted from standard to daylight, the nightly time of onset also shifted an hour, indicating that the sound was oriented to real time, not clock time. The periodicity of the sound was approximately two beeps per second. Sometimes the sound source seemed to move as much as a quarter of a mile from its usual location in a few seconds, sometimes silently, sometimes beeping as it moved.

One explanation for the sound that had been put forth was that it was the call of either a pygmy or a saw-whet owl, both of which are found in that area and emit calls similar to the reported sound. A similar unidentified sound had been recorded elsewhere. Wadsworth took a tape recording of the sound under investigation and the other sound to an expert on bird calls.
His opinion was that the latter was probably a saw-whet owl. The former, however, seemed unlike any bird or animal he had heard, although he could not be certain without knowing what distortions had been introduced by the tape recordings. A decision whether to send out a field team was suspended until more could be learned about investigations already in progress. Any connection between the reported sounds and UFOs was speculation, and continued visual observations at the site of the sound had revealed nothing significant.

During the following week, significant new developments were reported. Sounds identical to that near the original location had been heard in other locations in the state. The Civil Defense informant reported unusual animal reactions

There is more and it is interesting

files.ncas.org...

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
this little guy is only 6" are they in your area?

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'm telling you listen to the locusts I guarantee that's it and don't 5hink u know their sound I did too till I watched video and it dawned on me oh, that's not the sound I thought. And they haven't chirped for 13 years so it would sound new and out of the blue

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Yes, we have ground owls, but that wasn't the sound I heard.

Ground owls are very cool, BTW.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Yes, we have ground owls, but that wasn't the sound I heard.

Ground owls are very cool, BTW.

Going with Aliens!

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Well, like I think I noted, this wasn't the first time I'd heard that sound. The very first time I heard it it was not nearly as loud as this last time was. Then it sounded like bird chirping off in the distance, until I realized it was very mechanical at almost exact intervals. I wondered about it then, but then I never heard it again until the other day.

And, as I think I may have also noted, the transmission line was not energized when I heard the sound on Friday. Then, when I brought the wife outside to listen to it, the sound was gone, but the line was energized. And how I knew this was because when it's cold and damp outside those lines make a sizzling sound from the corona around the conductors. So whatever the sound was immediately preceded them energizing the lines. This is why I'm thinking it was some kind of a test or something. That, or the aliens can only use the wires when they're not energized.

Definitely very weird, and it was really spooky to hear it.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Or could just be, that maybe you should not stay up so long, most people are asleep at those hours of the night you know?

That's when I get up! Actually, it's an hour AFTER I get up in the morning. I normally go to bed at around 8pm and get up at 3:30am.

Well there's your problem. Get up latter, then you wont hear the chirps of bigfoot or the aleins. Problem solved.

Or it it could be gofers digging and disturbing the local bird life making some of them fly straight into the lines, and like a string on a ukalele they do a bit of chirping as they vibrate back and forth. And somewhere in there there is likely some swamp gas involved.

Thats my theory at least, gofers and birds, or aleins.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join