It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 year old charged with 5 counts of murder for setting fire that killed his family

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Wow what do you do with a 9 year old boy who set fire to his trailer killing 5 family members including 2 very young children?

Well they charge him with 5 counts of murder in Illinois. But since he is under 10 the most punishment he faces is 5 years of probation.

If convicted, the maximum sentence would be probation with options for counseling or treatment, but no detention or placement in the department of juvenile justice, due to the child’s age, Minger said.

Im torn . On one hand hes 9 . enough said . On the other hand 5 people are dead and even though they have not released details on how the fire was started I think the fact that they have charged him with murder says all you need to know.

Really tough one and I dont think I could make the call either way.

Im curious what others think should happen to the kid.

www.chicagotribune.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: hyperlexic
Tough one indeed!

Being 9, does the child truly understand, I tend to think..kinda, but the level of understanding is an individual thing. One kid might get it, more than another.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Tough one indeed!

Being 9, does the child truly understand, I tend to think..kinda, but the level of understanding is an individual thing. One kid might get it, more than another.

For them to charge him with murder makes me think he told them he set the fire because he was mad and wanted to hurt them. Or something along those lines.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Tough one indeed!

When I was 7 I set a roll of tp on fire, I had zero idea, when it flared out of control I was stunned.
I got lucky and my Family put it out, I learned thank god it was not to late.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Yes, you would think this not an accident, there was bad intent. To what level a 9 year old understands the finality of it..I don't know.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Tough one indeed!

When I was 7 I set a roll of tp on fire, I had zero idea, when it flared out of control I was stunned.
I got lucky and my Family put it out, I learned thank god it was not to late.

Ya, have done simular as a kid, thankfully nothing bad ever happened..close call fixed my fascination, sounds the same for you.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   
This is from the article

Alwood said her son suffered from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and ADHD, and took medication each morning.

Thats a whole lot of f'd up for a 9 year old.
Oh boy, I hope this kid gets help, and the surviving family as well

edit on 10-10-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   

This is from the article

Alwood said her son suffered from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and ADHD, and took medication each morning.

Thats a whole lot of f'd up for a 9 year old.
Oh boy, I hope this kid gets help, and the surviving family as well

Wait, I didn't think that schizophrenia and bipolar disorder effected you until puberty?

Don't they normally start in the late teens?

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies
That I don't know..worth exploring!

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
This child needs lifelong help, not jail.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
This child needs lifelong help, not jail.

I agree. I think. Still unsure lol. Since it was his own family and I am sure at least the adults wouldnt have wanted him charged and would have wanted him to get help. Pure speculation.

I dont see how mentally the kid will ever get over this and lead any type of normal life though.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies
So, it does happen, but rare.
www.webmd.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Ya...

I like your profile pic too.a reply to: vonclod

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Faeded
Thanks..it is an epic shot, you don't even need to see the face to know who it is.
Your's is cool as well, I have tried to place the player in your pic but nothing coming to mind.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 01:12 AM
link   
It is a picture of me.

I play Sabbath inspired riffage on my Barbie guitar in the name of hello kitty....
Or something like that.
a reply to: vonclod

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Background is Sabbath bloody sabbath...a reply to: vonclod

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 01:27 AM
link   
NVM
edit on 11-10-2019 by vonclod because: was straying off topic

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Someone should try to investigate what kind of parents the kid had. The tragedy must be a consequence of that.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
We have a 9 year old granddaughter, she stayed with us for 6 weeks this summer. I can assure you she definitely knows the difference between right and wrong, as well as the difference between setting a fire intentionally and setting one accidentally. But knowing the difference has nothing to do with knowing the child's intention.

Perhaps the child for some reason or another is not mentally mature enough to realize the implications, or maybe was just playing with a lighter and an accident occurred. A murder charge could just be a knee jerk action on the part of the prosecutor due to the emotionally charged situation because a 9 year old child who would willingly set a fire intentionally with the purpose of murdering his entire family- while possible- seems a wee bit far fetched.

We need more facts.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
A 9 year old should know the difference between right and wrong, and the danger of fire. Unless he just didn't know fire kills people...?

I think I need to know if it was a kid playing with matches who accidentally burned down the trailer or if he intended the outcome

top topics

<<   2 >>

join