It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winds 50 mph now!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: madmac5150

Strange, we never lost any chickens to the cold. We had a few get frostbite on their combs, but never lost any.

Our biggest issue with the chickens was coyotes. That's why I have coyote skins on my walls!

We always seem to lose one or two during our first hard freeze... out of a flock of two dozen. I tried fattening them up a bit over the last three weeks or so, after seeing the forecast. I have been adding canned sardines to their daily feed, along with high-grade hard cat food. Lots of fats, and proteins... and calcium, for egg production. So far, so good...

The alpacas scare the bejeebus out of the coyotes... they won't come near. We have a big mountain lion out here, (I've seen him... really big cat...) that has attacked one of our horses. I've got a 12-guage slug with his name on it, if he comes back...

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Strange, we never lost any chickens to the cold. We had a few get frostbite on their combs, but never lost any.

Our biggest issue with the chickens was coyotes. That's why I have coyote skins on my walls!

We always seem to lose one or two during our first hard freeze... out of a flock of two dozen. I tried fattening them up a bit over the last three weeks or so, after seeing the forecast. I have been adding canned sardines to their daily feed, along with high-grade hard cat food. Lots of fats, and proteins... and calcium, for egg production. So far, so good...

The alpacas scare the bejeebus out of the coyotes... they won't come near. We have a big mountain lion out here, (I've seen him... really big cat...) that has attacked one of our horses. I've got a 12-guage slug with his name on it, if he comes back...

Yeah, we get the big cats (cougars) here too, but way more coyotes. The chickens seemed to be more resilient if we fed them less, rather than more. We mainly did/do Leghorns, and they're pretty tough. They're laying fools, but when we'd let them out the coyotes would get into them. At first, the geese were pretty good about keeping the coyotes off, but then the owls got into the geese and it was a perfect storm. Owls killed the geese, and the coyotes stole the chickens, then stole the dead geese.

I've got bullets with coyote's names painted on them!!! I HATE coyotes!!

ETA - I didn't think Alpacas would scare a cat or a coyote. I thought that was mainly Llama's who would do that.

I'm thinking of getting a couple Great Pyrenees for the pastures. Good dogs, those ones. I had a friend who raise sheep and they were incredible herd dogs!!
edit on 10/9/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Shorts, T-shirt, and flops still here.

Have fun with your snow.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   
We have a quite robust coyote population... the alpacas actually scare them off.

We have ten at the moment; the noises they make when threatened, scares the crap out of coyotes. No joke.

They are also very alert animals... Nothing gets close to the property, without them letting us know about it.

They do great, in mountain climates... you should get a few

As dogs go, we have two Belgian Malinois... very well trained Belgians... we really don't worry about trespassers...

edit on 9-10-2019 by madmac5150 because: AFLAC!

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
Shorts, T-shirt, and flops still here.

Have fun with your snow.

...where's the middle finger emoji? I can't find it...

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Wow, that's cool. We looked into them about 8 years ago, but it seemed like the whole Alpaca thing was a scam. I've got a buddy who raises Llama's up south of Jackson Hole, and I've heard they are absolutely "fierce" on coyotes, but I didn't know Alpacas were the same. I know Alpacas are way better on grass than a horse, so I could probably take a few.

Alpacas seem like nice animals. ,I could probably put a couple dozen in with the cows. They might even like that (the cows).

Sadly, I've totally sworn off horses, as much as I love them. I had horses for years. But the problem with horses is they just DESTROY pastures, so you have to keep them in a confined area. Cows don't do this. And, as I understand it, neither do Alpacas. I'm all in for some Alpacas, got any you wanna' sell? I'll shear 'em, you can have the coat.

We could probably do 20-50 animals. That, or I'm gonna' get a bunch of cow-calf Angus pairs next year.

We're killing it on the Gallloways, grass fed, but I need some more animals.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Meanwhile in Florida....
Stay warm and safe

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It's coming to Texas tonight.
Tomorrows highs will be about 30 degrees cool than the average last few months.
Rain too. Haven't seen that in some time.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Homefree

Yeah, really!! I can't even remember the last time it rained here!!

Got about 2" of snow out of that storm...YAY!! We'll take the water, no matter what form it comes out of the sky in.

It's funny, Wed night at 6pm it was 85 degrees and sunny. By 4:30 am Thursday morning it was 18 degrees and snowing sideways. That's a 67 degree temperature swing in less than 10 hours!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join