It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inclusion groups at work

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Without divulging where I work, let's just say it's an international company with employees all over the planet. They came out with a new program recently that is promoting working with other employees of different races or ethnic backgrounds to make sure we "understand each other" and "can learn how to get along". I won't say anything about it at work because I actually need a paycheck so I'm not going to make any waves there, but this really bothers me.

Why? I am a white male that grew up in a mostly white area in the 60s-70s with hardly any blacks or hispanics. There is an Indian reservation nearby (which one doesn't matter) so some of the friends I grew up with were Indians and I also had friends from a few different countries and ethnic groups all through school because it is a college town, so I never saw it as an issue. Today the area is very diverse overall. Back then it wasn't.

So what's the problem? My problem is I don't like the idea of these inclusion groups because I believe it falsely projects that I am a racist because I'm white. That I need a program to teach me how to accept and get along with people "not like me". I had a "cultural diversity" online class in college not too many years ago that ended up being a farce and me being called a racist by two black students in my class. They didn't know me, had never seen me, only knew my name (it's Swede) and I had never spoken to them in group chat or any other method before that. When I asked the professor about it she was silent. Nothing. No repercussions for them whatsoever and nothing was ever mentioned about me saying anything offensive and definitely not racist so I don't know why I got blasted like I did. Ok, fine. I let it go.

It's like being born and raised a white American male makes me a horrible person that needs to be reprogrammed. I take issue with that mindset. I couldn't care less about how much someone is "like me" or not, all I care about at work are their core values (honesty, decency, hard worker, law-abiding, etc.) and whether or not they know how to do their job. If I happen to become friends with someone "not like me" (I'm using the program wording) it's because we have common interests, not because we care what color or race or ethnicity the other is. I have always felt this way, as long as I can remember.

It seems to me the people that are trying to force this compatibility and psycho-babble inclusion crap on us are the ones doing the most damage because they are pre-determining that we will or will not get along based solely on our race/ethnicity. Just leave us alone and let us work it out if anything does come up. Where does this stuff come from? I don't think I will ever understand the thoughts behind these programs.

Am I missing something? Would someone please enlighten me if I am?

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Maybe since the country is America these groups can teach others not from here how to interact with Americans.

If I went to Korea I wouldn't expect the whole country to change for me.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think you are missing something. You sound like a nice, regular dude who realizes were all just people trying to make a means and live our lives - like myself. I frankly couldn't care less what race, political lean or sexual orientation someone is - long as they're a good, hard-working person who does nothing to bother me personally. What you're missing? We're most certainly the minority. Lets face it, most people I come across in life are assholes - one way or another.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   

An international company that I worked for 35 years before retiring, started an inclusion policy where the Anglo's were to learn Spanish, yet there was not a program to teach them English.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I grew up with lots of black and Jewish friends in high school. We never had problems getting along in the ‘80s we would razz each other about our ethnicity and have a good laugh. Now a days life is a lot more complicated and I find myself resentful now because of all the racist BS thrown around. I have become more jaded and insular because of the way society has changed. Things are getting worse not better.
edit on 2019/10/9 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

It's called projection.

Welcome to the new world order.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

An international company that I worked for 35 years before retiring, started an inclusion policy where the Anglo's were to learn Spanish, yet there was not a program to teach them English.

Yet pilots and air traffic controllers around the globe have to be able to speak at least a limited vocabulary of English pertaining to air travel, for obvious safety reasons.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I grew up with lots of black and Jewish friends in high school. We never had problems getting along in the ‘80s we would razz each other about our ethnicity and have a good laugh. Now a days life is a lot more complicated and I find myself resentful now because of all the racist BS thrown around. I have become more jaded and insular because of the way society has changed. Things are getting worse not better.

I have the same feelings and it's frustrating. And this is what I'm talking about. Society seems to be forcing us to divide, then tries to force us to be together. That doesn't compute with me. I get there is history in our country but it was over a long time ago except for those few who still beat it like a dead horse to keep it alive. I believe the vast majority in our country don't care. It's just a few bad apples in every group that keep trying to separate us by race and fan the flames every chance they get.

But then I could be all wet, I don't know anymore.
edit on 9-10-2019 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I know a guy that retired from IBM.
They got into the diversity trend before it was a trend. Nothing good came out of the program.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I am a Cajun, we get down with everyone- race doesn't mean a thing in my culture. If you love good company, good food, good drink and good music then you are a friend unless you prove otherwise. This is how I was raised, how my parents and grandparents were raised, how I raised my children and how my grandchildren are being raised.

In recent years I have been accused of being racist by over the top politically correct SJW asshats who don't know me, my people or my culture. It is offensive and sometimes even hurtful. I have only ever treated people how they treat me or better. I will not apologize for being who I am, This world is becoming a very sad place.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Maybe the program is not for you; perhaps they can't both have a program for those who do need it and at the same time not require everyone be a part of it whether they need it or not.

Your company is covering its ass for that one time some stupid person does something stupid; your just a long for the ride.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Maybe you should go full blown native on them and get some war paint on and full headdress
start calling your boss walking eagle and do a greta about the office ,run around the office turning the lights and computers off and scream about saving the planet and stuff and they will give you some time off -paid .

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

So what's the problem? My problem is I don't like the idea of these inclusion groups because I believe it falsely projects that I am a racist because I'm white.

I don't know about the black or gay affinity groups but I can give you some insight into the other ones.

Let me give you a little background. I created one of these groups for a very very large international company. Oddly enough it was actually by accident, but it happened very quickly.

The group was not created because of racist white people. The major reason that group took off was because the Asian culture was so different than American they wanted the group to help bridge the divide. The company had hired tons of Native Chinese people and the business in China was growing. It was in their best interest to make it a smooth process. It had absolutely nothing to do with racism or discrimination. I think the name Diversity and inclusion is probably a bad one.

I'll give an example. In Asian culture there is a hierarchy many subordinates wouldn't question their managers. In the US it is perfectly fine to question your manager and even expected in some roles. There were other cultural items that are actually quite funny. In one of our buildings, the people from China kept standing on the toilet seat while using the bathroom. This caused many seats to break. After management found out the reason, they had a stall specifically made with a special stand.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

My wife is not American. She is Asian. As in born and raised in Asia. She knew life in America would be different. She knew American culture would be different. Never once did she expect Americans to change for her.

What immigrants should do is expect American to be different and learn how to adapt to America. What we as a society should do is understand they need to adapt to a new environment and be understand and patient as we help them to do so.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Maybe you should go full blown native on them and get some war paint on and full headdress
start calling your boss walking eagle and do a greta about the office ,run around the office turning the lights and computers off and scream about saving the planet and stuff and they will give you some time off -paid .

LOL! Yeah, no.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I don't know about the black or gay affinity groups but I can give you some insight into the other ones.

Let me give you a little background. I created one of these groups for a very very large international company. Oddly enough it was actually by accident, but it happened very quickly.

The group was not created because of racist white people. The major reason that group took off was because the Asian culture was so different than American they wanted the group to help bridge the divide. The company had hired tons of Native Chinese people and the business in China was growing. It was in their best interest to make it a smooth process. It had absolutely nothing to do with racism or discrimination. I think the name Diversity and inclusion is probably a bad one.

I'll give an example. In Asian culture there is a hierarchy many subordinates wouldn't question their managers. In the US it is perfectly fine to question your manager and even expected in some roles. There were other cultural items that are actually quite funny. In one of our buildings, the people from China kept standing on the toilet seat while using the bathroom. This caused many seats to break. After management found out the reason, they had a stall specifically made with a special stand.

That's what I'm talking about. I never considered that part of it. I know our cultures are different but I have only been out of the USA (aside from Canada) twice and both times were on cruises so I've never seen the actual differences like that. Thank you for that example.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

LOL! Yeah, no.

I have become my Avatar

I have Way to much free time on my hands ,

edit on 11/10/2019 by stonerwilliam because: because i am a idiot with dementia [ wink ]

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

My wife is not American. She is Asian. As in born and raised in Asia. She knew life in America would be different. She knew American culture would be different. Never once did she expect Americans to change for her.

What immigrants should do is expect American to be different and learn how to adapt to America. What we as a society should do is understand they need to adapt to a new environment and be understand and patient as we help them to do so.

Unlimited immigration was planned long ago, halfway done, to wash out the anglo-saxon race, the 'white' peoples, except for the Jewish white race.

It's sad, but true.

top topics

join