It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US states fight back against Purdue Pharma's bid to stop opioid lawsuits

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Then why did Purdue Pharma lie about the addiction rate as i posted a couple threads above? And can you name another drug that has caused 400,000 deaths?

a reply to: jrod

Alcohol. Around 90,000 deaths per year and god knows how many throughout history. Millions upon millions I'm sure.

Whose fault is all the deaths caused by alcoholism?

I'm going to agree with DBCowboy on this one, god forgive me. At some point you blame the addicts. Imagine if the Feds decided to outlaw alcohol and bankrupt those producing it. No wait, that happened before. Worked out rather badly as I recall.

I'm sorry you had to agree with me.

God probably won't forgive you. But if its any consolation;

1. You made a good point

and

2. I have coupons for Amazon for people who actually agree with me. Just enter in "I agreed with DB" in the discount space.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   
When have you ever been prescribed alcohol? Or smokes? Im going with never.

a reply to: Blaine91555

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Lol....except its the states suing to get compensation from all the unpaid treatments. As mentioned...just Ohio is 8 billion.

a reply to: Puppylove

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 02:56 AM
link   
its the Feds job to monitor each pill and where it goes.its all in the links...read em.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

So Purdue is paying for treatment for people who crush up pills and short then(or get a spoon and syringe and inject)?

With the exception of pill mill doctors, people are not dropping dead when they take their pain pills as prescribed by a good doctor.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

That isn't realistic.

I feel that oxycodone is safer than heroin. However when the supply and price of oxycodone make it unaffordable or unavailable, addicts will go to street heroin.

You are failing to address the issue of addiction itself.
edit on 10-10-2019 by jrod because: D

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

What about my access to opiods? Im 47 years old with a debilitating chronic illness that is easily observed and extremely well documented (my insurance company spent about $200k on me so far this year). I can't get opiods for pain, which has caused me to put my job and livelyhood in jeopardy.

Will I get any kind of relief? I don't want money, i want to be able to have pain control that extends beyond "just take motrin and tylenol", as that is laughable to even recommend given the state of my issues.

The states may have a claim...but as an individual why is my claim not considered? Can I sue Perdue? And what would that achieve for me beyond money, which is worthless when it comes to giving me quality of life?

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You make a really good point. Doctors are afraid to prescribe opioid based painkillers out of fear of being arrested and or losing their license.

Overdoses are not from people taking their meds as prescribed, yet the DEA and FDA still decided to restrict doctors acting in good faith to combat the opioid addiction and overdose concerns.

A local walk in clinic doctor in my home town got popped recently from an undercover DEA sting operation, the will send someone in seeking opioid painkillers(of course their informant will lie because they are often doing this to stay out of jail) and when they got a prescription the doctor was popped for prescribing opioid painkillers to someone who did not need it.

This makes it increasingly difficult for those who need painkillers to function to get a prescription.

They blame the manufacturer and the doctors prescribing them but fail to address the problem is with addicts who do not take the drugs as prescribed, that is when the ODs happen, NOT when someone takes meds as prescribed.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I could care less about how many junkies are overdosing. That isn't me.

And thats the problem: the rights of the individual are being crapped all over here.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Meh...hard to have a convo when you aint read the links

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I failed nothing. You failed to read.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
WHats that got to do with the op? You want oxy...talk to your doc. This is about extreme abuse and lying about addiction rates to profit a private company.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
pssssst....heres a hint....read some of the links i posted. I know that takes effort...but....u might learn something.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Jeezus...its so pathetic....and glaringly obvious, when peeps dont even read the links.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
WHats that got to do with the op? You want oxy...talk to your doc. This is about extreme abuse and lying about addiction rates to profit a private company.

Because the "solutions" to the problem involving shutting down companies providing a product that is needed by millions of people.

Again, millions of people use these drugs responsibly and are not addicts. Yes, there is a problem with addiction, but suing a company into oblivion because doctors and patients are abusing the product is not the answer either.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
And where are your stats for this claim? You wanted data from me...please provide usage data vs addiction rates.

a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It also seems you ignored the link i provided showing a 2007 ruling that the companies addiction rate claims were false. Its somewhere above.....you can research it....i already provided the link.

a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
ETA,

And here is a list of companies abusing pills.....not that anyone will read it of course.

www.washingtonpost.com... 6dd-d7f0e60391e9_story.html

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Its not that we are ignoring you links, but you above link is broken. They and you just fail to address the issue of addiction and addict behavior in a real world sense.

As someone posted earlier, suing companies that make the drugs into oblivion despite millions use them responsibly for serious medical issues is not a practical solution.

Also this practice of restricting the supply causes prices to spike. Why should someone have to pay 5 times as much for their prescription because a relatively small portion of its supply gets abused?

This is not like cigarretes or alcohol, this is an actual medicine that when used properly can allow someone with debilitating pain function somewhat normally.
edit on 11-10-2019 by jrod because: D

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I'll admit some anger is misplaced. People are angry and frustrated and feeling helpless. Big pharma has been abusing and taking advantage of people's misfortune for so long that any drop of blood kind of puts some us into a feeding frenzy. There's so few opportunities to fight back people will take what we can get.

Yes this is medicine that help a lot of people, and that need is exactly what big pharma not only banks on but makes bank on. It's simultaneously that need which they use to both prey upon to take advantage of our misery to bleed us dry and to defend themselves from our wrath.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join