It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US states fight back against Purdue Pharma's bid to stop opioid lawsuits

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The FDA should ban them....or at least severely restrict them . Yet they have not. Agsin...76 BILLION bills have been dumped on the market. And the new stuff may oxycotin look like baby aspirin.

a reply to: RickyD

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: DBCowboy

If there was provable corruption in getting approved to sell them then it should be on them. If they knowingly lied or cheated/skewed testing results to get approved should they not be held legally and financially responsible?

All drugs go through an FDA pipeline that lasts anywhere from 5 to 7 years.

And any derivative of opium should be common sense to ANYONE that it's addictive.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I don't like Oxycotin. I've taken it, and it works, but it works strangely. For example, if you take a couple of advil it takes effect gradually. If you could graph it it starts out slowly and reaches a peak of effectiveness, then gradually wears off. With oxycotin, it's either on or off. You take it, and nothing happens for awhile. Then suddenly, BANG! It's on, and it works for awhile until suddenly, BANG! It's off. So you try to take the next one just before the first one turns off. But it has other effects, too. For example, it screws with your digestive system and gives you constipation. I won't take it any more because overall its effects are more negative than positive. Why and how people get addicted to this crap I simply do not understand. It's not like heroin. It doesn't get you "high" or make you feel extra special good.

But they have a place, with a doctor's prescription, for people with serious pain, especially surgical pain. That this is being abused is not the fault of the pharmaceutical company. These lawsuits against a single company are wrong. That doctors jumped so quickly on this bandwagon would be an interesting thing to figure out, but the idea of the company being at fault is as stupid as claiming Remington is responsible because a criminal shot someone.

Yeah, I don't get it either. It isn't like these drugs make you feel like you just busted a nut or something. I've taken Oxy, Percocets, etc and hated how the made me feel. I just deal with the pain. Then again, I don't get how people like being drunk either, so maybe I am just a square.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Mmmhmmm. Sure.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Okay.

Have a nice day.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Im trying to find the Fed report...but they knew and allowed it.

www.nytimes.com...

And as I said earlier....the cdc will flame a field of veggies when one person gets ill...yet they look past 400,000 deaths.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I am. And shall.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

www.nytimes.com...

And as I said earlier....the cdc will flame a field of veggies when one person gets ill...yet they look past 400,000 deaths.

Do we outlaw fast food because some people are obese? Should McDonald's be sued because some guy has a heart attack or high blood pressure?
edit on 9-10-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Which again I'm not saying they lied...honestly I haven't researched it, but if there is reason to suspect it, like studies showing opposite or differing results than they gave the FDA, I do think that should be looked at in a court of law as to why the difference. There is a lot of money being made off of substances that just as you say are obbiously addictive. We dont use heroin anymore medically for the very reason this is being fought now...so how did we get right back into that same situation? That's what I want to know and if we are back in that same situation because someone was trying to profit from it then either the FDA should be responsible for allowing it or if lied to the company responsible should be on that hook. Won't get any real answers outside a court though as those who allowed it sure aren't going to come out and take any responsibility if they did subvert the process or take bribes/make false reports on any of the testing.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

www.nytimes.com...

Do we outlaw fast food because some people are obese? Should McDonald's be sued because some guy has a heart attack or high blood pressure?

No, but you also don't have doctors being paid by fast food companies to prescribe it to people who don't need it.

Some people don't have a clue about medicine, and there is a reason doctors have to go through so much schooling to get their licence. The cost and time of schooling is how they justify getting paid so handsomely (which I agree with should they do their job under the guidelines).

There is personal responsibility, and then their is hiring someone to best inform you on areas you're not a professional. And if someone knowingly uses their position to make money while harming you, in some fields that opens them up to civil and criminal cases.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

They must have missed a campaign payment to the DNC.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Did they lie and hide evidence? Did they kill 400,000 people? Doesnt sound like and edumakated reponse to me. Lets just dump 76 billion pills on the maeket and letterip!

a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Why have 48 states sued? Whens the last time 48 states got together for anything? That alone should tell one something. Or not.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Edumakated

www.nytimes.com...

No, but you also don't have doctors being paid by fast food companies to prescribe it to people who don't need it.

Some people don't have a clue about medicine, and there is a reason doctors have to go through so much schooling to get their licence. The cost and time of schooling is how they justify getting paid so handsomely (which I agree with should they do their job under the guidelines).

There is personal responsibility, and then their is hiring someone to best inform you on areas you're not a professional. And if someone knowingly uses their position to make money while harming you, in some fields that opens them up to civil and criminal cases.

Therefore, the problem lies with the prescribing doctors. Why aren't doctors being held to a higher standard? Why is it just the responsibility of the manufacturer?

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I never did understand how we would stop using heroin medically but then decide that synthetic forms of the same wouldn't yield the same results. Thats why I tend to think there was some shenanigans going on with getting approval for medical use. I'm thinking it started off long ago and inched its way until we had even stronger forms of opioids in use than even heroin. Admittedly I don't understand the process well enough to be an authority on it nor have I personally researched it so take anything I say as personal opinion which if provided evidence to the contrary is more than open to change.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Bah I quit smoking on a whim and my mom smoked til she died despite many attempts. You should damn well know better than to assume that just cause you can kick the habit others should be able to just as easily.

Of all the things... defending the pill pushers... really DBC?

Yeah personal responsibility is a thing, but it applies to the pill pushers too, or do they get a pass from you for some reason?

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Why have 48 states sued? Whens the last time 48 states got together for anything? That alone should tell one something. Or not.

Because there is a lot of money on the line... 48 states suing does not mean those states are correct, just that you have 48 states who are looking for a lotto jackpot.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Unless they used false data or corruption to get it approved they shouldn't be responsible. The FDA and those prescribing it should be.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

Bah I quit smoking on a whim and my mom smoked til she died despite many attempts. You should damn well know better than to assume that just cause you can kick the habit others should be able to just as easily.

Of all the things... defending the pill pushers... really DBC?

Yeah personal responsibility is a thing, but it applies to the pill pushers too, or do they get a pass from you for some reason?

If the manufacturers have been found to have lied / falsified data then they should be held accountable. However, the difference between smoking and this particular case is that there is a benefit of the drugs. Millions of people are able to mitigate pain without ill effects.

The product works as intended. It is unreasonable to think all drugs will be free of any unintended side effects. Also, addiction is a personal problem.

To be frank, I want more data and studies done on the addicts to find out what they have in common versus non-addicts.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Ahh. Aint read any links I see. That happens alot. No worries....lets look at Ohio. Estimates are 8 billion per year to fight this addiction.

www.ohioafp.org...

Not that you will edumacate yourself further...but lemme know. Will be happy to research a bit for ya.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join