It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US states fight back against Purdue Pharma's bid to stop opioid lawsuits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

US state officials launched a legal counter-attack on Friday against Purdue Pharma’s attempt to shield itself and its controlling Sackler family members from thousands of lawsuits claiming the maker of the OxyContin prescription painkiller helped fuel the opioid epidemic.

A little update to the Opioid crisis.

48 states and well over 2,000 local municpalities have sued Purdue Pharma for their starting the Opioid crisis. As of now, 24 states have settled, and 24 have objected to the settlement Purdue has offered. Purdues owners, the Sackler faily are billionaires, yet they will probably get by with keeping their wealth, even though their product has killed 400,000 americans since 2000.
www.washingtonpost.com... 9/10/08/88105058-e9da-11e9-85c0-85a098e47b37_story.html

Think about that. 400,000 peeps....dead...all because Purdue lied about the addiction properties and pushed the product to docotrs.

Some states are dropping FU bombs....lets hope they prevail. These dudes need prison time.

www.theguardian.com...

www.theguardian.com...

This said doctor is getting 40 years for prescribing 500,000 pills. Lets hope many more follow.

www.nytimes.com...

These murderes even corrupted the WHO, hoping to murder a bunch more peeps theough their false marketing.

www.theguardian.com...

Meantime the Dems have launched the $100 BILLION CARE Act to help clean the mess up. Here is a thought Dems....MAKE THE FOOLS WHO CAUSED THE PROBLEM PAY!!!! FFS man, Purue pharma made $13 BILLION off this one drug. Take every dime they got and give em a tent to live in.

www.thenationalcouncil.org...

And I saved the best for last folks...."76 billion opioid pills: Newly released federal data unmasks the epidemic"

Think about that number for a sec. 76 BILLION Oxycotin and Phentanoyl pills have been dumped on the market. Jeesus Christ.

And the Feds knew from 2006.

www.washingtonpost.com... 6dd-d7f0e60391e9_story.html

It aint seen any of this on FOX or CNN btw...wonder why?

Yetthe CDC will burn assloads of lettuce because ONE fool gets sick. WTF is wrong with humans?

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I wonder how much of that opium comes from Afghanistan.
edit on 9-10-2019 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I wonder how much of that opium comes from Afghanistan

Oxy is a synthetic so none.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Should we start suing Ford for motor vehicle deaths?

How about Smith & Wesson for shootings?

Michelin Tires for bad drivers?

Taco Bell & McDonalds for obesity deaths?

Jim Beam for alcohol-related deaths?

When does personal responsibility happen?

BTW, I'm blaming Dell Computers for this post.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

US state officials launched a legal counter-attack on Friday against Purdue Pharma’s attempt to shield itself and its controlling Sackler family members from thousands of lawsuits claiming the maker of the OxyContin prescription painkiller helped fuel the opioid epidemic.

A little update to the Opioid crisis.

48 states and well over 2,000 local municpalities have sued Purdue Pharma for their starting the Opioid crisis. As of now, 24 states have settled, and 24 have objected to the settlement Purdue has offered. Purdues owners, the Sackler faily are billionaires, yet they will probably get by with keeping their wealth, even though their product has killed 400,000 americans since 2000.
www.washingtonpost.com... 9/10/08/88105058-e9da-11e9-85c0-85a098e47b37_story.html

Think about that. 400,000 peeps....dead...all because Purdue lied about the addiction properties and pushed the product to docotrs.

Some states are dropping FU bombs....lets hope they prevail. These dudes need prison time.

www.theguardian.com...

www.theguardian.com...

This said doctor is getting 40 years for prescribing 500,000 pills. Lets hope many more follow.

www.nytimes.com...

These murderes even corrupted the WHO, hoping to murder a bunch more peeps theough their false marketing.

www.theguardian.com...

Meantime the Dems have launched the $100 BILLION CARE Act to help clean the mess up. Here is a thought Dems....MAKE THE FOOLS WHO CAUSED THE PROBLEM PAY!!!! FFS man, Purue pharma made $13 BILLION off this one drug. Take every dime they got and give em a tent to live in.

www.thenationalcouncil.org...

And I saved the best for last folks...."76 billion opioid pills: Newly released federal data unmasks the epidemic"

Think about that number for a sec. 76 BILLION Oxycotin and Phentanoyl pills have been dumped on the market. Jeesus Christ.

And the Feds knew from 2006.

www.washingtonpost.com... 6dd-d7f0e60391e9_story.html

It aint seen any of this on FOX or CNN btw...wonder why?

Yetthe CDC will burn assloads of lettuce because ONE fool gets sick. WTF is wrong with humans?

Just some questions...

Is it not true that oxycontin does in fact work? Just as there are addicts, aren't there millions of people who do in fact take the drug responsibly and it helps their pain?

So do we throw out the baby with the bathwater because some people can't control an addiction?

What role do doctors play in this? Aren't doctors the one's prescribing the medicine? Aren't they the first line of defense in regards to abuse? Why aren't more doctors held accountable?

Purdue's market share by some measures is just 3% (others push it as high as 16%). Regardless, why are they being attacked by not the other manufacturers of the majority of the market?

To be clear, yes there is an opioid abuse epidemic. I'm tired of seeing these geek monsters walking around my community. However, I also know that trial lawyers love to go after deep pockets even if that really isn't the source of the actual problem.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I get your point and would agree with you 90% of the time, if not more. But I think medicine is a bit different. If it's marketed with malice to hide side effects while throwing bones to doctors for prescribing them when they're not needed, I don't mind if someone gets theirs after being screwed over.

We all know the dangers of opiates now, but many didn't understand the gravity during they hay day of prescribed painkillers. Many people profited from getting people hooked. And while we had a war on drugs for people smoking a harmless plant that grows from the ground, we allowed legal drug dealers to exploit our regulated systems to milk people out of their, or their insurances money while they got addicted.

I don't think the industry was forthcoming with what they knew, and if that's the case... They should have to pay.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Those are stupid comparisons except for Ford. If engineers know a tire is unfit for purpose and use it anyway to save some profit. Then it should be homicide charges. And this happened btw...go look up ford exploders back in the day.

Drugs gotta pass an ass load of regulation so consumers should have reasonable expectation to accept a doctors prescription...no??.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

We've known the dangers of addiction since Laudanum was banned a century ago.

I'm sorry, but ignorance is no excuse.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Should we start suing Ford for motor vehicle deaths?

How about Smith & Wesson for shootings?

Michelin Tires for bad drivers?

Taco Bell & McDonalds for obesity deaths?

Jim Beam for alcohol-related deaths?

When does personal responsibility happen?

BTW, I'm blaming Dell Computers for this post.

Don't forget Nikon,Cannon and Kodak for child p@rn

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

So personal responsibility, like Elvis, has left the building.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Read all the links...Purdue Pharma invented the crap....faked the addiction results...and marketed it to doctors who were unaware. Read the last link. The Feds knew...
And other drugs work too....yet they aint killed 400,000 people.

a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Puhleeze. So you are saying if you were in a car accident and jacked your back up...that you would say...doc...i dont want those particular pills you are recommending for this excruciating pain cuz i have done my own research..and well....they are a bit dodgy.

Thats what i thought. And you didnt address the ford issue i see.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

We've known the dangers of addiction since Laudanum was banned a century ago.

I'm sorry, but ignorance is no excuse.

Again, I'd agree with you more times than not on personal responsibility... But doctors have to go to school for a long time, and the whole point of medicine is to help people, not get them hooked on a drug.

If doctors and big pharma knowingly withheld information from patients, it seems like there could be criminal intent. If someone could prove that laws were broken, why not have people held accountable.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
How about all the generic pill labs currently making these same pills now. I forget exactly how long the original rights to exclusively make oxy, however thats long since expired. I'd like to see everyone held to the same standard at this point, including those generic labs.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Or ATS for allowing stupid people.

a reply to: JHumm

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   

pfft.

I was on "those" pills for years! I know DAMN well what they can do.

And as soon as I was able, I got off them.

link   

If there was provable corruption in getting approved to sell them then it should be on them. If they knowingly lied or cheated/skewed testing results to get approved should they not be held legally and financially responsible?

link   
I don't like Oxycotin. I've taken it, and it works, but it works strangely. For example, if you take a couple of advil it takes effect gradually. If you could graph it it starts out slowly and reaches a peak of effectiveness, then gradually wears off. With oxycotin, it's either on or off. You take it, and nothing happens for awhile. Then suddenly, BANG! It's on, and it works for awhile until suddenly, BANG! It's off. So you try to take the next one just before the first one turns off. But it has other effects, too. For example, it screws with your digestive system and gives you constipation. I won't take it any more because overall its effects are more negative than positive. Why and how people get addicted to this crap I simply do not understand. It's not like heroin. It doesn't get you "high" or make you feel extra special good.

But they have a place, with a doctor's prescription, for people with serious pain, especially surgical pain. That this is being abused is not the fault of the pharmaceutical company. These lawsuits against a single company are wrong. That doctors jumped so quickly on this bandwagon would be an interesting thing to figure out, but the idea of the company being at fault is as stupid as claiming Remington is responsible because a criminal shot someone.

originally posted by: RickyD

If there was provable corruption in getting approved to sell them then it should be on them. If they knowingly lied or cheated/skewed testing results to get approved should they not be held legally and financially responsible?

Is there any proof of that?

edit on 10/9/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Anyone taking them knows right away how addictive they are. You don't need a Pee-Ach-Dee to discover that!

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Read all the links...Purdue Pharma invented the crap....faked the addiction results...and marketed it to doctors who were unaware. Read the last link. The Feds knew...
And other drugs work too....yet they aint killed 400,000 people.

a reply to: Edumakated

Some of those links are pretty vague in their claims. For example, one article says that Purdue mislead claiming that the had an addiction rate of less than 1%. However, the article doesn't say exactly how they mislead and what the actual addiction rate might be. In other words, is the real addiction rate 1.75% vs 1% or 20%.

I'm just saying I like to have facts. Companies get attacked all the time because they have deep pockets. I'm not saying there isn't an epidemic of abuse, but like many others, I also believe it is a bigger issue more to do with personal responsibility and other societal issues.

It is like the controversy over the vaping. I don't smoke and hate smoke. However, many of the articles seem to leave out that the victims are largely using blackmarket (illegal) CBD oils. So it isn't so much vaping in general.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join